I need advice/help re keeping old recipes/ scrapbooking a cook book.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-05-2003, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some recipes , handwritten by my gramma, and some words of advice as well. All of it is handwritten, and just sitting in a notebook.I would like to find a way to save it..but I am not sure where to even begin.

The pages are written on both sides, so I cannot glue it to a sheet or I will lose the info etc. on the other side. I thought about laminating them and then cutting holes to put it into a note book.

I also have a whole slew of recipes I use from a variety of cookbooks.I would like to have AL of these recipes, plus the old stuff from gramma and room for new things as well.

I have looked at wal mart( yuck) so far for books to store this stuff in and had no luck.

Does any one have any reccomendations for me? Where should I even begin? Will it damage the handwritten stuff to be laminated at home?

I would just feel so much better if I had all of this organised into one place and could have it on hand and use it without constantly being afraid I am going to damage things I cannot replace!

Thanks!

Rebekah.
#2 of 11 Old 05-05-2003, 07:53 PM

Maybe you could xerox the originals and then put the originals in a chemically inert box so they won't react to any acid's etc. or get cooking goop on them (like mine do). That way, you preserve your grandmothers handwriting and still can use the recipes with our constantly worrying if they are going to get ruined.

Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#3 of 11 Old 05-06-2003, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have thought about zerooxing the pages..but unfortunatly the ink in my grandmothers pen was lighter than the lines in the paper and I doubt it is going to show up right. I would really rather have the originals to look at when I using it anyway( my own personal thing..you know So I may still try to go along with that idea.

There is a lady locally who does scrapbooking shows, and I may call her...after I investigate Micheals and Jo Anns and another craft place .I will try to go shopping this weekend. Wishe me LUCK!
#4 of 11 Old 05-06-2003, 05:04 PM

Good Luck. There is also a spray you can use that will chemically neutralize the paper so it shouldn't fade or disintigrate further. You might want to look into this.

Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#5 of 11 Old 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM

Yup, archiving spray. Probably could find it at michaels or hobby lobby or a scrapbooking store.

I would test a small bit first and make sure it will not bother the ink.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 11 Old 05-08-2003, 01:55 AM

I'm no expert on archives but I'd think that laminating would be a good idea. It's not going to break down since it's sealed. The other option instead of permantly sealing would be to just put them in a clear sleeve and put it in a scrapbook/binder. This way you can see both sides. You can get the clear sleeves with the 3 hole punches at Micheals or even Wal-mart. This way they'd still be protected but not hurt the "integrity" of the paper-if this is an issue for you. The only problem is that they'd move around if they were smaller than the sleeve.
You can get some rally nice paper to mount your other recipes on and put them in the clear sleeves too and you'd have a beautiful recipe book.
Good luck!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#7 of 11 Old 05-08-2003, 03:24 AM

Kinkos can laminate almost anything...my dh has had them laminate all sorts of crazy sized items..

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 11 Old 05-08-2003, 11:55 AM

You can actually make a lot of adjustments on good copy machines. You might want to try it.

Maybe you could also try scanning them into the computer and touching them up there.

Personally I think I would copy the recipes, either electronically or by hand and then store the originals somewhere where they would be safe. My favorite way of keeping recipes for use is on index cards in a box. One can print things out from the computer and paste them on index cards and also laminate them if one wishes. Not that I do this as much as I should, :LOL.

I just saw an idea that I really liked that might work for you somehow. Find an old book, paint the pages, let them dry, and scrapbook on top of that. I think it would be cool to find a used cookbook from your grandmother's youth and somehow scrapbook on top of that. Here's a link: http://www.azcentral.com/home/crafty...tyideas18.html
#9 of 11 Old 06-08-2003, 12:26 AM

sbia (sleeping baby in arms )
i realize i'm late responding to this -- i'm just browsing through this forum for the 2nd time. but i thought i'd share how i do my cookbook. i have a format of typing recipes into a 3.5" x 5" size so they fit right into those photo pages that fit 4 on a page, kwim? that way, i can reorganize them without printing everything out again, plus the pages wipe off when i spill on them. For old stuff like your grandma's i would probably save the original in a scrapbook with some of that archival spray and them retype it for your everyday use. anyway, hth!
#10 of 11 Old 06-08-2003, 12:07 PM

In case anyone's still checkin this thread...
I can throw a couple of things out there. 1.) Laminating should be fairly safe, since oxygen is what causes decay. Laminating keeps it out, but isn't reversible if you ever change your mind. 2.) A color copy would be an adequate representation of the original, and they're fairly cheap now. (If you want to go that route.) 3.) If you are interested in archival preservation and use, try checking out the supplies from Light Impressions (lightimpressionsdirect.com, if I remember right). They specialize in preserving everything from newspapers to photographs and stuff like you have. They ain't cheap, but they sell books and acid free transparent sleeves of all sizes and sprays to de-acidify stuff.
Good luck!

Oh, if you go the scrapbook route, be careful cause with the proliferance of it, much of it isn't archival and you could cause your gramma's recipies to yellow and fade and crumble in a few years if you or somebody uses the wrong stuff.
#11 of 11 Old 06-08-2003, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, so far I have not done much of anything about it.

I am pretty busy trying to get my home ready for my moms visit in a few weeks and new baby and so on..but I am keeping all this info in the back of my mind.

I have an idea of what I would like to do. I don't think I will go the route of a recipe card box...but I think I like the idea of cards in a book with plasticed pages so I don't damage the cards!

I tend to be a very messy cook, so anything that will kepp things safe is great!

The nearest Kinkoes is about an hours drive away..minimum,and so that stinks because I have another cook book which is sadly in need of being rebound and a new cover, and I was told they would be a company who could do such a thing.

Gotta go! Hubby needs the phone line! Becca.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page