PLEASE help me with my kitchen! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2003, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm switching my kitchen to a Coffee Shop theme, and need some help!

I have three rolls of this BEAUTIFUL wallpaper, but am not sure what else I can do with it. I don't think I'm going to use it on the whole kitchen b/c it's a rental and I want to take this gorgeous stuff with me when we buy a house next year.

Wallpaper

Here it is up there. This will give you a better feel for what style I want in the kitchen.

Now - I need to find fabric that coordinates nicely - anyone know of some? (Maybe from quilters sites? Anything?)

What about kitchen towels and potholders and such? How would *you* try to make them, if you couldn't find something in a retail store?

Any other ideas of what to do with wallpaper, besides putting it on walls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some fabrics I have found - let me know which you think coordinate best with the wall paper, okay?

Possible Placemat back

Possible placemat fronts

Retro-y kitchen backs

retro-y kitchen fronts

LOVE this! Java beans

Funky

Cute coffee shop - fronts

Cute coffee shop backs - bad pic
Old 05-07-2003, 09:19 PM

I think the java beans coordinate best with the wallpaper but look a little like leopard skin print, too! The fabric with the words I think would be too much.

The other styles didn't seem like they really "went" with the wallpaper- too mary Englebrightish, if that makes sense.

I think what comes up for me with that wallpaper is making your kitchen look kinda bistro- lots of natural wood combined with some stainless steel. Go to a restaurant supply house and browse. Plain white bar rags for the towels and I think solid colors or simple prints for the fabrics because I think it would be really easy to make it all too "busy" with that wallpaper. Cool fiestaware cups or somethign if you want that retro touch. I don't know- maybe if your kitchen is really big you could use more texture and pattern but I do think it would be easy to overwhelm that wallpaper or else make everything seem REALLLLLY busy.
Mmm- I can smell the coffee now.

I don't blame you for hoarding a couple rolls- it's tres` cool!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love the bean print as well. I also like the 2nd picture "possible front of placemats" or some sort. But I think that print would only be good for placemats or something *small*. Big it would be really overwhelming. The other prints do look a little too... tea party-ish : when compared to the beautiful wallpaper print. Although I like the "funky" print... but I don't know if I like it with the elgant look of your wallpaper...

When I saw the print what I thought was wood (cabinets, table, ect) and fabrics that are a light creamy coffee color (perhaps what white would look like stained with coffee type of light brown color).... It'd be pretty simple I bet to find towels in that color... maybe if you want to be extra froo-froo ish it might be fun to write some coffee sayings (perhaps straight from the wallpaper) on the front part of the towel with puff/fabric paints? You know on that little tightly knit part of the towel... does that make sence?

If your cabinets are blah, or paintable, it might be neat to make some sort of cordinating design on the doors... maybe an off white or creamy sort of color, with words around the edges, or a stylized coffee cup on some of the doors... really simple, not very many lines, with the little swirly for the steam...

The bistro idea would be lovely as well, and I bet you could get steely looking accessories for cheap at a resturant depo type of store...

I bet its going to be a fun project!!! My head is filled with ideas for our new house we're getting (WOO!) so I know how exciting to ponder redecorating!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 05-07-2003, 11:40 PM

I have these really cool cupboard doorknobs that would look great and totally go with the theme. They're handpainted (you could make your own) and they're all different, the top half is painted a bright background, the bottom half checkerboard or solid (to look like table top) with a funky coffee mug sitting on it and steam rising. Plus, you could put them on, save what's on there and take the coffee ones with you when you move.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by LaLaLuna
[B]I think the java beans coordinate best with the wallpaper but look a little like leopard skin print, too!
That's what I said to DH last night, while going through these together!

Quote:
The other styles didn't seem like they really "went" with the wallpaper- too mary Englebrightish, if that makes sense.
I SERIOUSLY uttered these exact words!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I think what comes up for me with that wallpaper is making your kitchen look kinda bistro- lots of natural wood combined with some stainless steel.
LOVELY idea!!

Quote:
Go to a restaurant supply house and browse.
Any ideas on how to find one? We live in a really small town now. Are there any online, that sell to the public? I'd assume so??

Quote:
Plain white bar rags for the towels and I think solid colors or simple prints for the fabrics because I think it would be really easy to make it all too "busy" with that wallpaper.
I agree - those fabrics just didn't strike me...and I don't want goofy "cute" patterns on the towels, really. I found some nice, unbleached terry-looking potholders at Marshall's the other day - and some brown and cream striped and checkered towels that I picked up (not terry - the kind of bar towel feel)
Old 05-08-2003, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa_Lynn
[B] But I think that print would only be good for placemats or something *small*. Big it would be really overwhelming
Yes - definitely! I was *only* going to use these fabrics as placemats, napkins, and potholders...I even have a lovely valance in the kitchen that goes with the theme (it's a replica vintage lace with little cups and saucers on it! - all unbleached in color).

Quote:
but I don't know if I like it with the elgant look of your wallpaper...
See - that was my "issue" as well. I'm just not finding the "feel" that I want with the fabrics above. The Debbie Mumm stuff is our favorite (the to-go cups, kind of a coffee shop feel) but even that is too "Country Kitchen" and not elegant and understated, kwim?

Quote:
When I saw the print what I thought was wood (cabinets, table, ect) and fabrics that are a light creamy coffee color (perhaps what white would look like stained with coffee type of light brown color)
Yes. I agree. We have beautiful (new) medium/dark stained cabinets that match wonderfully...and the floor and counter tops are a beigy color. I found some beautiful creamy coffee-colored crackle dyes and batiks that I might need to check out.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:10 AM

Ok, who's channeling who? :LOL

Are you near any medium sized towns? I'd check the yellow pages under restaurant supply or restaurant equipment.

I did a google search for restaurant supply and pulled up about 8000 hits. Maybe try that with a qualifier for a town near you so you wouldn't have to pay postage? You can also just try checking out neat-o little coffee shops and seeing what types of stuff they have- you could probably do a lot just by getting a clearer idea for what you want and bargain hunting. A lot of times you can get good deals at a supplier (like the martha stewart/williams sonoma catalogues? Other than the cutey-pie linens all that kitchen gear they sell is pretty much the same stuff teh suppliers sell only marked wayyyy up) but other times you don't need to buy the industrial strength restaurant quality stuff- just buy stuff at Target (or whatever) that looks like it. The towels you found at Marshall's sound perfect.

Quote:
Originally posted by momschooling
That's what I said to DH last night, while going through these together!

I SERIOUSLY uttered these exact words!!!!!!!!!

LOVELY idea!!

Any ideas on how to find one? We live in a really small town now. Are there any online, that sell to the public? I'd assume so??

I agree - those fabrics just didn't strike me...and I don't want goofy "cute" patterns on the towels, really. I found some nice, unbleached terry-looking potholders at Marshall's the other day - and some brown and cream striped and checkered towels that I picked up (not terry - the kind of bar towel feel)

User Tag List