serge... can I with a sewing machine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am unclear as to what serging is... Is it an overlock stitch? My mother gave me her bernina sewing machine which does a number of stiches, none specifically say serge. Do you need a serge machine? I have some fabric that I made a sling out of and I simply want to seal off the salvage, if that makes any sense. I don't want to hem necessarily since that will make a thick seam and produce a right side wrong side per se. The fabric is 100% cotton, can I use a zig zag or overlock stitch? I have a bit of experince sewing, all of our curtains, some clothing, etc. but nothing too advanced...
#2 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Serging is a 4 strand over-lock. You can't do it with a sewing machine. Sergers will also trim the fabric as they go which helps make the overlock line up exactly on the edge the whole way round. Check a t-shirt, all those seams are serged.

You can over-lock edges with a sewing machine using a zigzag stitch. For tidying up a rough edge, that should be fine. If you want it to be pretty, a rolled edge would be good, where you fold it over, then over again and stitch through the 3 layers of fabric.
#3 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

I usually do a rolled edge, which works fine for decorating, clothes, etc. but the cotton is so light and I wanted it to look the same way all around - serging is so neat and tidy. I'll probably just do an overlock or a zigzag with an extra line of stitching right next to it and then trim it myself. Darn! I'm also making wipes out of old recieving blankets and wanted to the same with them as well. With the wipes I definitely won't hem, just finish the edges...

How much are serging machines? I am so tired of folding over and ironing and folding and ironing again and pinning and stitching and on and on... Does anyone rent them?

Thanks for your reply, I never really knew what serging was!
#4 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 PM

Sergers are more expensive than sewing machines, but you can watch for sales and such and get a decent price.

This isn't applicable to your current project, but I've found that knits don't fray. I have a ton of rags just torn out from t-shirts that get used as tissue and wipes and have been washed time and time again and they're fine.

For your cotton, it should look the same all around if you zigzag all around. The second line of stitching sounds like a good idea.
#5 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

The wipes that I cut out of recieving blankets, do you think they need an edge? If not, then I can avoid stitching around 32 squares of fabric which would be wonderful! They are also 100% cotton and have a T shirt like feel, made by small wonder. Only concern is that they may roll up.
#6 of 9 Old 01-14-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo'smom View Post
The wipes that I cut out of recieving blankets, do you think they need an edge? If not, then I can avoid stitching around 32 squares of fabric which would be wonderful! They are also 100% cotton and have a T shirt like feel, made by small wonder. Only concern is that they may roll up.
Well, yeah, the edges roll a bit. Some more than others. They seem to be flatter with age and size, with the oldest large sized ones (all smaller than you'd be making wipes) basically completely flat. I'd just sew them after you cut if you feel the need. They'll look prettier with an edge, but an edge is also going to be rougher than the rest of the wipe. They'll also flatten right out if wet, so if you do one of those wet wipe containers (there are even ones that keep 'em warm) they'll be ready to go for real messes.
#7 of 9 Old 01-17-2007, 03:28 PM

I was at Sears last night buying a sewing machine and they had a 4 thread overlock machine on sale for $299. That would be nice to have!
#8 of 9 Old 01-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The wipes that I cut out of recieving blankets, do you think they need an edge?
I made a bunch of wipes out of receiving blankets when DD was born
(4 yrs ago) some I serged, some I left unfinished (ran out of time). The serged ones have lasted longer, the unfinished ones got smaller and smaller as the edges wore away, but they all lasted at least two years, and thats long enough that when I made new ones recently, I saved time and left the edges unfinished.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#9 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I am unclear as to what serging is... Is it an overlock stitch? My mother gave me her bernina sewing machine which does a number of stiches, none specifically say serge. Do you need a serge machine? I have some fabric that I made a sling out of and I simply want to seal off the salvage, if that makes any sense. I don't want to hem necessarily since that will make a thick seam and produce a right side wrong side per se. The fabric is 100% cotton, can I use a zig zag or overlock stitch? I have a bit of experince sewing, all of our curtains, some clothing, etc. but nothing too advanced...
Can you sew some bias binding to your sling? That would seal off the edges without creating a right/wrong side.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page