Mothering Forum banner

How do I make a simple newborn hat/cap?

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  lhowlett 
#1 ·
So I'm sure this is really easy, but if I was using fleece or something, not knitting, how would I cut out a plain cap? I envisioned just sewing one seam from the top to the bottom, but I can't quite picture how to cut it out. I guess If I used 2 pieces it would be 2 half circles, so what would it be for 1 piece?
Thanks!

#2 ·
I use a non pattern for knitting that would most likely work with fleece etc...just cut a rectangle. as long as the head is round and about 10-11 inches.

Sew into a circle (back seam) sew the top. It will be pointy at the corners. I just add fringe to the corners. It's really cute.

I think I can upload a pic if you need to see.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhowlett View Post
That'd be great!
So I just cut the rectangle as long as baby's head circumfrence is right?
Yeah, that's it. Just leave yourself some slack for the seam allowance. Here is a pic of one that I made for myself. (knitted, but it should give you the idea)
http://fyrestormcreations.tripod.com/ebay/hat.jpg

#5 ·
Gotcha.
After you sewed the back seam, could you trim the corners of the top area so they're rounded and then sew the top seam? Would that create a round affect vs the pointed tops? Don't get me wrong, they are REALLY cute, I just wanted to try a round cap.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhowlett View Post
Gotcha.
After you sewed the back seam, could you trim the corners of the top area so they're rounded and then sew the top seam? Would that create a round affect vs the pointed tops? Don't get me wrong, they are REALLY cute, I just wanted to try a round cap.

Sure, I don't see why not. If you snip them and sew then on an angle or curve it should work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.