crocheting or knitting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tried to teach myself to crochet a couple times. I got 2 seperate books and each time I couldn't get passed one or 2 rows. Is there an easier way to learn.

Should I try to learn knitting? is that easier?
Are there any good videos. Some advice would be great.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I do both, and I don't think knitting is easier. However, it's a personal thing - some people find one easier, some the other.

If you haven't already, try the Knitting in Plain English and Crocheting in Plain English books. They're the best!

Another tip: do a search on Google for crocheting and knitting how-to videos. That helps a lot. There are some for knitting on www.knittinghelp.com

Good luck!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#3 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 06:49 PM

I for the life of me cannot crochet. I can however knit. I can do a row of crochet and by the time I am halfway through the second row it's soo tight and curled up I can no longer crochet into it. yeah, it's tough.

I prefer knitting. I say try your hand at it. You may have an easier time with it!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#4 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
well... I learned to crochet first, when I was like 7. And I learned to knit a few years ago. Maybe it's just because I learned crocheting first, but I think it's easier than knitting. With crocheting, you only have one stitch on your hook at a time, so it's much easier to pull back a few stitches and fix a mistake. When you're knitting, you generally have all the stitches in a row on the needles at once, and if you made a mistake or one of them slips off, it can be a pain to try and fix. So, what happens after your first 2 rows of crocheting? Maybe we can help if you tell us what the problem is. I don't know of any good crocheting websites, but if you decide you want to try knitting, www.knittinghelp.com has free videos you can download and watch.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#5 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 PM

I like crocheting MUCH better then knitting.

My husband used to like to knit, but then I taught him how to crochet (with the help of a tequila sour) and he prefers crochetting now.

Video or learning from someone is much easier for me then trying to figure out crochetting from a book, even when it is just a new stitch or pattern.
#6 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 07:32 PM

the klutz book/kit on how to crochet explains it very clearly. I tested it out when i was learning to crochet. I have a hard time knitting, just because I learned to crochet first. The lightbulb for me with crochet was to keep my work loose, cause trying to cram a hook into a too tight stitch is really frustraing
#7 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 07:33 PM

I think it's better to learn crochet first, and then move on to knitting.
#8 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 07:40 PM

I learned to crochet first, then knit a year later. I found the most useful books to be Kids Crochet! and Kids Knit!
#9 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 10:22 PM

I am a lifelong crocheter (well, darn near!) and I am very much a partisan when it comes to my chosen needlecraft...but if you can't get the hang of crocheting, by all means try knitting. There are a lot of people out there who cannot for the life of them get the hang of one but take to the other like a fish to water. It took me years of trying to learn how to knit.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#10 of 11 Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Thing about knitting for me (and the reason I can't seem to get crocheting) is that there's a stick holding all the loops in place. There's never a question about which part of the loop I'm supposed to use, because it's *right* there with a stick through it.
#11 of 11 Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 AM

I say stick with the crochet. The first 3 rows are the hardest once you hit the fourth row it's smooth sailing. You may find crocheting in rounds or squares easier.

I actually learned to knit first but could never do much beyond a garter stitch scarves b/c I can't keep track or follow a pattern. I couldn't even do a decent stockinget b/c I would purl two rows in a row, or forget and switch from purl to knit in the middle of a row.

I took up crochet in highschool and found it very intuitive and can do things that amaze others who then ask what pattern I'm using and I explain I can't follow one.

I just recently (as in last week) took up loom knitting which so far seems to combine may of both skills. I'm currently working on a sweater for DS that I designed on graph paper.

When you can both knit and crochet you can combine them.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page