I made a Big Boy Cloth Trainer! Yay! (pics) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, Tommy has been volentarily potty training himself. Its really great, but I still panic during long outings, using public restrooms, and what happens if there is an accident. I hate to see him revert just because of my own worries about it and putting him in pull ups.

We all know how much pull ups Suck! He knows that they are just like a diaper. He pees in them all the time and doesn't even make an effort to go potty. Nighttime he insists on sleeping in underwear, so I let him. He has had 2 accidents since Christmas. GREAT!! (but it still sucks)

A friend gave me one of her sons cloth trainers that he is growing out of. These are also similar to diapers because of the flaps on the sides, but they are cloth, he totally thinks they are underwear. BUT, it really inspired me.

Here is where I am going with this.....
I made a small "boy shield" to fit into his undies, just in the front where he has his little accidents. They are PUL waterproof backing (just like a cloth diaper cover) microfiber front (towards the pee-pee) and have an opening with a snap for an optional cotton washcloth and microfiber insert. He loves it, he is wearing one right now!!

What do you think? (thanks for reading my novel!!)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...g/S3010135.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...g/S3010134.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...S3010136-1.jpg

...and how cute are baby boy undies!! :-D
As a suggestion from a friend, my next one will have a terry cloth or flannel outer layer, I hear that the micro layer dries out skin!
#2 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM

So it just goes in his undies? That's a good idea Is there something that holds it in place (like wings on a pad) or does it stay put pretty well?
#3 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Great idea! Zach started PLing this weekend so I'm digging out our PL pants...
#4 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 11:53 PM

How clever!

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#5 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeanneb View Post
So it just goes in his undies? That's a good idea Is there something that holds it in place (like wings on a pad) or does it stay put pretty well?
It just stays! The shape with the "Y" at the top, and his boy undies arent called tighty-whiteys for nothing! It held up so well today during our outing, and last nights accident was a mess for no one but him, LOVE IT!!!! I made 3 more today!
#6 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 01:56 AM

That's great! A friend of mine from church has asked me about trainers for her son, I think I'll just try to make her some of these! I don't have a snap press, so I was trying to figure out how I could make pull-on trainers w/ opening sides... velcro just doesn't work that well. This will be so much easier!
#7 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's great! A friend of mine from church has asked me about trainers for her son, I think I'll just try to make her some of these! I don't have a snap press, so I was trying to figure out how I could make pull-on trainers w/ opening sides... velcro just doesn't work that well. This will be so much easier!

I got my snap press from Walmart for 9bucks! If you have a small hammer, they also have a tap kit for about $2.50. Its a little rubber button and t shaped metal smasher thing. Very easy.
#8 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 06:24 PM

I never even thought to look at Walmart! I have seen them at Joann's but assumed they weren't any good. So do they sell the actual snaps at Walmart, too?
#9 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I never even thought to look at Walmart! I have seen them at Joann's but assumed they weren't any good. So do they sell the actual snaps at Walmart, too?
Yes, wamart carries the pretty gem ones, 12 for $1.98. The no gems are 7 for the same price?! Which ones were at Joanns?
#10 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM

I'm not really sure what kind they were, I never spent much time looking b/c I had heard they weren't very good.
So do these snaps last, or do they fall off? That's the problem I had heard most about them, that they fell off. Are the press and the snaps sold in the fabric dept, then?
I did the math on how much it would be to get everything I'd need to start doing snaps from thesnapstore.com, and it works out to $108.34. I think I may save up and do that...
#11 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Clever Idea!
#12 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 AM

I just wanted to say great idea.

and if you want to protect him from the MF, you can cover it in a cheap flannel for a feel-wet feel and fleece for a feel-dry feel.
#13 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Good idea! You should patent it, haha.

Heidi mum to Isaac (06/06), Matea (04/08), and Naomi (04/10)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page