need sewing advice: fitted diapers, elastic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-12-2003, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi i havent ever done elastic, much less made a fittd diaper, but i am planning to try the patterns on www.diapersewing.com i am looking at the fitted diapers, and i think i understand all the instructions, but i dont know how to measure the elastic so that it makes the right amount of gather for the leg holes. do you know what i mean? do i just stretch the elastic around my ds's leg to see what a nice fit would be and then just sew it on where she marked? if anyone has time to check out the site and help me out i would appreciate it. thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 05-12-2003, 04:30 PM

Don't know how much I'll help, because I truly don't measure, but here's what I do.

I tack the end down, then stretch the elastic as much as possible, holding one hand behind sewing machine and one in front. I sew the elastic down with a 3 step zigzag. The only points I mark are the start and stop of the elastic so that it comes out even on both sides.
#3 of 6 Old 05-12-2003, 04:41 PM

Don't know how much I'll help, because I truly don't measure, but here's what I do.

I tack the end down, then stretch the elastic as much as possible, holding one hand behind sewing machine and one in front. I sew the elastic down with a 3 step zigzag. The only points I mark are the start and stop of the elastic so that it comes out even on both sides.
#4 of 6 Old 05-12-2003, 06:34 PM

I don't measure either! I just do pretty much the same thing as lazydaisy described! Sorry!
#5 of 6 Old 05-26-2003, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

sorry i never came back...my sister and brother came to town and things were chaos around here for a while...anyway that actually helps alot. i didnt know i should stretch the elastic out. thanks!
#6 of 6 Old 06-04-2003, 02:35 AM

Oh great thread.
I just came across some great fabric and was wanting to try a fitted diaper myself. I feel it is time to graduate from making doublers,which are SO easy. I don't know why I tend to be so intimidated by my new sewing machine. LOL
Now that I have it back out I want a sewing room. But DH says no way because he says it will take time away from my Tye dye room he just finished! LOL
So alas I have to sew at the desk and put stuff far out of reach of little hands all the time. If I could just finish one project at a time. LOL

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page