Lion Brand Organic Cotton - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > Lion Brand Organic Cotton
Millie Ivy's Avatar Millie Ivy 03:14 PM 01-19-2007
http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/organiccotton.html

Drool....... Did anyone else get this email today? I so want to get some of this for baby boy. I can't afford a huge amount (even though it isn't really expensive, I jus have spent quite the large sum on yarn lately) But I might have to get enought to make a small blankie for him.

Yum.:

TigerTail's Avatar TigerTail 03:18 PM 01-19-2007
I did, & I know.
emelsea's Avatar emelsea 03:50 PM 01-19-2007
I have a question about the organic cotton.

Say someone (who, me?) ordered what they thought was enough OC for a project. Then the realized that it wasn't enough (I'd never do that!). Does OC come in actual dye lots (for lack of a better term - I know it is not dyed)? If that person (who shall go unnamed) orders one more skein of her (or his!) original color, will it match?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
Millie Ivy's Avatar Millie Ivy 07:11 PM 01-19-2007
I would have to go look at LB website to check, but I don't think they come in dye lots., Not that I noticed.

Not that *you* need to know, right?:
eepster's Avatar eepster 07:54 PM 01-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelsea View Post
I have a question about the organic cotton.

Say someone (who, me?) ordered what they thought was enough OC for a project. Then the realized that it wasn't enough (I'd never do that!). Does OC come in actual dye lots (for lack of a better term - I know it is not dyed)? If that person (who shall go unnamed) orders one more skein of her (or his!) original color, will it match?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
I'm just guessing here. I would think it was like wine where there's a vintage and regional variation.

BTW Anyone know where to get it.
wawap's Avatar wawap 08:43 PM 01-19-2007
Do you think it's really organic? : I heard something the other day on the radio that some things labelled organic aren't really... I'm suspicious.

I think it's very pretty, though.
m0mto3's Avatar m0mto3 11:47 PM 01-19-2007
I want to touch it! I love the colors.....could be great but 'how' does one know for xure about the organic? I suppose it could be a marketing ploy
Millie Ivy's Avatar Millie Ivy 12:50 PM 01-20-2007
Yeah, I wonder about most organic things/food/products I see now.
I guess I would be a little more careful to delve into the specs if it was expensive.

My mom will buy "organic" brands that I know are questionable, she knowsarequestionable but she"figures it's still better" I'm like, why would I pay the extra money for conventional???

I am just going to enjoy this one until I hear otherwise, though.....

I wonder if it's in stores yet? I may have to order some...

If anyone hears about the validity of the organic claim,post,K?
Amari's Mama's Avatar Amari's Mama 12:56 PM 01-20-2007
Most organic stuff should list on it somewhere what certification board certified it to be organic... like Oko Tek on Hanna Andersson...

If it's not listed on their web site, I would email them and ask them for that info.
ETA... which I just did. I'll let you all know what I hear back.
kimberlychapman's Avatar kimberlychapman 01:29 PM 01-20-2007
I checked my local Joann's and Michaels this week for both the organic cotton and the return of cotton-ease, and staff at both places hadn't even heard of it. No spot on the shelves, either.

So if it's coming, it'll be slow.

Joanns online has two colours of cotton-ease, but I haven't looked for the organic stuff there yet.
andreac's Avatar andreac 03:05 PM 01-20-2007
I saw this and was so excited, but it's pretty expensive. I think it's going to retail for at about $6 per skein, which is only 82 yards. Blue Sky organic cotton is only $8.50 per 150yd skein.
Amari's Mama's Avatar Amari's Mama 06:59 PM 01-22-2007
The reply from Lion Brand...

Quote:
Ilana <[email protected]>

Amy,

Here is some information about Lion Organic Cotton.

Our suppliers of organic cotton, are certified by Skal, an organic certification organization in the EU.

Below is a quote from the grower

"Using appropriate technologies and fair trade practices, our products are converted from field to fabric, with sustainable textile processing, certified by the Dutch foundation, SKAL, owner of the prestigious EKO quality symbol."

Ilana

Millie Ivy's Avatar Millie Ivy 02:33 PM 01-23-2007
Thanks! through all these LB ORG conversations I found BlueSky Org and I may buy that instead. Unless my local Joanns or Michaels has the lion brand to pet.

Thanks for postingthe reply!
Up