homemade shampoo out of bar soap?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-12-2003, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i found all-natural plant-based ingredients soap bars at walmart and a grocery store we go to...there are quite a few different 'scents' like lavender and the one i have currently is 'goat's milk, oatmeal and honey'

i *cannot* find all-natural shampoos without alcohol or animal products ANYwhere and i dont want to keep ordering off the net

so cant i use bar soap and somehow make it into shampoo??

i read one site that said very simply to shave off soap into water and boil it, let it cool and then put in shampoo bottles...

so is that it??

i'm on bedrest, bored to death and would *love* to try this out...
can anyone help? are there other ingredients i would have to add?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2003, 07:22 PM

YES! I did this a long time ago. I got together with three friends and we made shampoo. I will try to find the book we got the recipie out of. It came out pretty good but didn't keep very long before it got a bit of an odd odor to it. I would just make up a small amount at a time. I'll try to find it for you.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2003, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

thanks that would be great.

i tried making some, just boiled water and added the slivers of soap but it looks really slimy so i think something else needs to be added.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2003, 09:20 PM

I don't think it would work very well. I think soap would be too harsh on your hair.

I have seen soapers who made shampoo bars but they always used Jojoba oil in them. So maybe that would be a key ingrediant.

Also liquid soaps are made with potassium hydroxide instead of regular lye to get the liquid state.

You can do a search for liquid soap recipes and I am sure you could find something that you could change a bit to get a nice shampoo.

In my experience, just adding water to soap gets you something that strongly resembles boogers.

Not all those who wander are lost 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page