sewing bafoon looking for help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-11-2002, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sometimes I get so angry at my mother for not teaching me
how to sew! She was awesome.....made me the most beautiful
wedding dress ever.....all with lace and handsewn sea pearls!
She never thought it was important for me to learn and sadly
enough I never did either!

Anyway I want to learn simple stitches for making simple things.
i.e. bean bags, small gift bags, sachets etc.

Do you need a sewing machine to do these things or can it be
done by hand?
Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn?
books, websites, classes?

Thanks
#2 of 6 Old 02-11-2002, 11:46 AM

Check out your local fabric store. They can usually hook you up with a teacher or may even give their own classes.
You can hand sew the things you mentioned, but it would be much quicker and neater on a sewing machine.

peggy
#3 of 6 Old 02-11-2002, 07:18 PM

I am so glad you are interested in sewing. I love it and it is my ultimate relaxation activity.
Although I currently own 2 sewing machines, I still like to handsew some things. I am working on a quilt and re-creation dress that I would like to do all handsewn. The trick (like everything else in life I think) is patience. You have to learn the handsewing techniques and practice a lot to master them. Then your handsewing can be just as strong as a machine and your items will be absolutely beautiful--and they will have that feel of being handmade.
Check out www.sewing.org and go to the "learn to sew" and then at the bottom of that page is info on handsewing. Readers Digest, DK and Singer all put out excellent books on sewing that include handsewing. Check them out from the library first. If you would like to buy a machine--and it is a lot faster--go to the sewing machine repair shop. They will often take old machines and refurbish them. DO NOT buy a refurbished White. They have nylon gears on the fly-wheel that go very, very bad. I have on old (27 years) Viking. Singer (especially Jeans machines) are good too. This way you can get a nice machine with lots of functions for often less than $300 (or even less than $200). Good luck and Happy Sewing!!

edited link--Sarah
#4 of 6 Old 02-11-2002, 07:32 PM

That's why my hand sewing looks like a three year old did it!!! I have no patience!! You are right though, hand sewing done by some one who really knows what they're doing is beautiful!

peggy
#5 of 6 Old 02-11-2002, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies.....

I am so excited to get started learning this......now time is all
i need!:

I'm sure i'll be back with questions soon!
Keep an eye on me.
#6 of 6 Old 02-13-2002, 12:40 AM

I just bought my niece a learn to sew book from Klutz publishers. You could search amazon for it!! It is so great & I would love to have it myself. My hand sewing could really use some practise!! If I can find a way to do it by machine I will!! Anyway, the book has a lot of simple projects in it & some basic supplies attached to it. Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page