I want to make a T-shirt quilt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know how to sew, I have a basic White sewing machine, and I know how quilts are made *in theory*, but I have never made a quilt. So, I decided to get rid of all my old sentimental T-shirts (you know, the ones with logos from math camp and that sort of thing) by turning them into a quilt.

My idea is:
Cut 12" squares from a bunch of T-shirts and sew them into a simple checkerboard of light and dark squares.
Cut whole back pieces off white shirts and sew them together for the back of the quilt.
Use the leftover pieces in place of batting, by cutting them into flat pieces and basting them into a piece of cloth about the size of the whole quilt, probably doing two layers of this.

This should give me a quilt made entirely of four thicknesses of T-shirt material.

I know this sounds kind of weird. But I think it would be cool to make a quilt entirely from materials I have on hand. I also like heavy cotton quilts. And I hate it when batting bunches up over time or starts coming out through small tears in the fabric, when quilts get old, so I thought using cloth as a filler instead would eliminate the problem.

Before I actually do this project, what do you guys think? Do you foresee any problems?

Btw, although I plan to piece everything together on my home machine, I have a friend whose mom has one of those $1000+ quilting machines, which I could probably borrow for the actual quilting.
#2 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 07:22 PM

I've considered doing this with some of my children's baby clothes. :
#3 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 07:36 PM

I am all for creative designs and working with materials on hand. i saw them make a t-shirt quilt on a show once and they put stabilizer on the back of the t-shirt part that shows on the front of the quilt... otherwise it goes kind of wonky.......
#4 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

What would you use for stabilizer? Is that something you can buy? I've heard of it, but I guess I don't have much experience sewing stretchy fabrics. o
#5 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 08:40 PM

I'd think any sort of woven cloth would work as a stablizer, with iron-on interfacing being easiest.
#6 of 13 Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 AM

I really don`t know that much about it either, but I`m sure someone at a shop would be able to advise you........ also having a clear rectangle or square to law over the t-shirt for you pattern so you can center it and cut out the design on the front....
#7 of 13 Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 AM

I just made a tshirt quilt for christmas.

Here is what I did:
-I measured each design on my tshirts and got a average size (~15"x15")
-I cut a square from interfacing marking the exact center to use as a template.
-I then cut each shirt first at the seams then cut my squares using my template and interfaced all of them with "French Fuse"
- I bought cotton fabric for my sashing and backed my quilt with fleece. I did not use batting because of the weight of the tshirts + fleece.
- I also tied my quilt instead machine quilting. I did the turn and topstitch thing then tied the quilt therefore I did not have to bind the quilt.

Make sure you use a ballpoint needle in your machine.

I hope this helps!

Here is a Picture

Tricia
#8 of 13 Old 01-22-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

My friend's mom who is a serious quilter thinks my quilt will be insanely heavy. Should I give up on using the scraps in place of batting? It sounds so cool ...
#9 of 13 Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM

I have always planned on doing this with all my kids clothes. One large one for me of all of their clothes and a small, baby sized one for each of them when they have their first baby. (Assuming they all have kids. ) I also saved my favorite/most used outfits I wore when I was pregnant that I will incorporate in there as well.

Then I have my tshirts, old blankets, etc. of mine and dh's that I want to do the same thing with.

LOVED the pic, btw! So cool!
#10 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 AM

I have wanted to do this too. What are the main tips to sewing with knits though. I just sewed some woven appliques on knit tees and they are a little curly. What can I do to prevent that? I didn't use a ballpoint needle, so that would probably help. Anything else?
#11 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamocak View Post
I have wanted to do this too. What are the main tips to sewing with knits though. I just sewed some woven appliques on knit tees and they are a little curly. What can I do to prevent that? I didn't use a ballpoint needle, so that would probably help. Anything else?
Using stitch n tear under the tee as you are sewing on the applique can help prevent some of the curliness.
#12 of 13 Old 01-25-2007, 08:18 PM

:
#13 of 13 Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page