making modeling beeswax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got beeswax from candles. Anyone know what is in the modeling beeswax to make it softer than plain beeswax? Anyone know how I can make my own version of the Stockmar product?

I've never actually touched modeling beeswax, so don't even know what I'm emmulating, so any thoughts would help!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 AM

There are three ways to make modeling beeswax. You can find the recipes in the book Super Formulas Arts & Crafts by Elaine C. White. They are:

Quote:
Modeling Wax I
1/2 pound 129/139 paraffin wax
1 pound beeswax

Modeling Wax II
2 pounds beeswax
3 ounces petroleum jelly (you can make this without mineral oil for an "un"petroleum jelly that is all natural)

Modeling Wax III
1 pound beeswax
1 pound micro crystalline wax (M-205 from "Barker Enterprises")
Her instructions state to melt the waxes in a heat proof container in the oven on 200 degrees. Cool to 170 degrees and pour them onto a clean smooth surface. A no-stick cookie sheets works, or otherwise use a wax-release agent on the surface before pouring the wax. Pour the wax about 1/8 inch thick - a 12x18 inch cookie sheet holds 3/4 to 1lb of wax.

Use the modeling wax while it's still warm, or let it cool slightly and break into small pieces to be heated and used at your leisure.

Hope that helps some!
#3 of 4 Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adasmommy View Post
I've got beeswax from candles. Anyone know what is in the modeling beeswax to make it softer than plain beeswax? Anyone know how I can make my own version of the Stockmar product?

I've never actually touched modeling beeswax, so don't even know what I'm emmulating, so any thoughts would help!

I don't think there is anything in the Stockmar modeling beezwax. I've bought it before, and used it, although I'm not 100% on that. I can say that I don't think that it would be so popular in Waldorf schools if it were made with parafin, petrolum jelly, or any other type of wax.....they are pretty big on purity!!

Anyway, I do know for sure that the Stockmar type of modeling beezwax isn't melted to be used. Part of the draw to children, is the fact that it magically softens with the warmth of your hands. It feels really neat once it gets soft and pliable (sp?), and is very relaxing and enjoyable to work with (not to mention it can be used to make amazing things!!)
#4 of 4 Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angel View Post
I don't think there is anything in the Stockmar modeling beezwax. I've bought it before, and used it, although I'm not 100% on that. I can say that I don't think that it would be so popular in Waldorf schools if it were made with parafin, petrolum jelly, or any other type of wax.....they are pretty big on purity!!

Anyway, I do know for sure that the Stockmar type of modeling beezwax isn't melted to be used. Part of the draw to children, is the fact that it magically softens with the warmth of your hands. It feels really neat once it gets soft and pliable (sp?), and is very relaxing and enjoyable to work with (not to mention it can be used to make amazing things!!)
I've bought and used the stockmar beeswax too, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was nothing in it besides the dye, because it is extremely hard and un-pliable for awhile. Yes eventually (think after 10-15 minutes of working it, hard) it does soften up and then it's fun, but my kids often lost interest in it before they could get to that point.

User Tag List