ideas for buttons? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2003, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a collection of old buttons that my mama has passed on to me. I would like to do something with them... sew them on something? make something out of them? I don't know what exactly. Any ideas? I don't want to hot glue or anything that may ruin them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2003, 11:18 PM

Mom was telling about a lamp shade she saw made of old buttons. The buttons edges where wrapped with the stuff you use for stained glass then sodered (sp?) together. Dont know if there is a web site with the directions of making one. Mom said it was very nice looking and she is planning on making one herself.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:23 PM

hiya maya!

i have been supergluing some onto those snappy hair clips...
Old 05-15-2003, 11:27 PM

One of my AP mama buddies didn't have a lot of money to spend on nursery decor, but she had this shoebox filled with buttons that her grandma gave her. She sewed some of the buttons in a pattern onto a yard sale lampshade, sewed some onto the valance as a border, and strung the rest into a mobile. She ended up with a beautiful nursery for about $100.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:54 AM

You could sew them on a vest or jean jacket, use some on hats, or mount them in frames.
Or you could use them as the centers of yo-yo flowers.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:45 PM

Here are a couple of button crafts from the May 2003 issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine http://www.marthastewart.com

Buttons pull us together day after day, fastening our skirts, cinching our cuffs, closing our jackets. And yet their indispensability often goes unnoticed until we discover one missing.

How things have changed. In centuries past, buttons were stars of the fashion world. "They were worn as jewelry," says Jacquie Hatton, president of the Friends of the Keep Homestead Museum in Monson, Massachusetts, which has one of the largest button collections on display in the country. "People clipped them off worn clothing to pass down as valuables," adds her daughter, Moira Hatton, another enthusiast. Carefully preserved in tins or boxes for reuse, these family heirlooms now turn up at flea markets and antiques stores and are picked over by shrewd collectors. You can buy a box of them for a few dollars, though a single beauty can cost several thousand.

In the May 2003 issue of "Martha Stewart Living," we've taken buttons out of their familiar sartorial context to showcase them on clocks, drawers, cards, totes, and table linens. Converted into colorful handles, intertwined with embroidery, or overlapped like sequins, they display surprising flair. You'll never take another button for granted.

MAKING A BUTTON CLOCK
Purchase a clock movement, hands, and dial template from a clock-parts supplier or a hobby store, and find a tin lid deep enough to conceal the works.

Materials
Round cookie-tin lid
Awl
Nail set
Dial template
12 buttons in various sizes, shapes, and colors
Multipurpose cement
Clock movement

Technique
1. Poke a hole through the center of the lid with an awl. Using a nail set, widen the hole to accommodate the shaft.

2. Refer to the dial template to position the button hour markers. Affix buttons with multipurpose cement. To assemble mechanism, follow manufacturer's instructions.

MAKING BUTTON TEA NAPKINS
Winsome tea napkins carry a harvest of buttons to the table. It takes only a bit of embroidery to flesh out the suggestion of cherries, apples, lemons, grapes, or a pea pod.

Print simple embroidery instructions to help you with this project.

MAKING A BUTTON BAG
In the world of vintage buttons, brown ones are plentiful and can be inexpensive. It should not take long to collect a hundred or so to transform a basic brown handbag into a smart study in neutrals. Or buy dozens of orange buttons and sew them in multiple layers to create a dazzling sequinlike effect. For complete instructions, see our exclusive web-only feature, Making a Button Bag.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:44 PM

I just love buttons!!!!!! I love to hot glu them to thumb tacks and make stick pins with them, I ditto hair clips, you can glue them around a border of a picture or bulletin board. They can be sewn on hats or purses or diaper bags. A bit of elastic strung with buttons can make a cool bracelet. Older buttons or collections can even be framed. A big clear brandy glass or compote filled with colorful buttons makes a pretty centerpiece or sideboard decoration. Can you tell I just love buttons?

GOssamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~

User Tag List