The Holiday Helpers Knit/Crochet Along - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 150 Old 03-06-2007, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
blazofglori I've had that happen and it sucks so bad

On the knitting/crocheting note does anyone know of a site that gives general head sizes for age groups? I am pretty confident my kids heads fit in all the ranges that are out there but it's handy to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 150 Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 AM

I would like to take part in this - what do i need to do to get started? thanks!
#63 of 150 Old 03-09-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

kandkrose -- You already started! This thread is simply for accountability and keeping track. If you want to post what you intend to knit in here, you can, but don't have to. Once you finish knitting something, pm me or post it here. Let me know what you made, the size or age of the person it is for and if it is for a male/female/gender neutral. Oh, and pm me re: where you live. Your state or province if you are in the US or Canda; your country if you are not -- I don't need your full address. That information will only be used to help match you with a FIN when it gets to be Holiday Helper time.
#64 of 150 Old 03-10-2007, 01:09 AM

wonderful! thank you so much!! i'm going to get started on a few project ideas and i'll let you know when i get something done!!
#65 of 150 Old 03-10-2007, 01:17 AM

I'd love to see pictures of things people have made to inspire me!!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#66 of 150 Old 03-10-2007, 03:18 PM

my not so LYS had a yarn sale on some very nice merino ($3 for a skein!) so I snatched it up to make some of the teen girls the Nakiska headbands on knitty. These are such a quik and easy gift to knit up.

I have 1 fingerliss glove with mitten cap done and plan to do another. They are ivory and could go for either boy or a girl round 10-15 yrs old depending on their handsize. I have small hands and they are just a wee bit small for me but fit my 10yo with bigger hands just fine.
#67 of 150 Old 03-11-2007, 06:16 PM

I'm making an angel hair scarf right now. It's pink and blue ( not baby like, pretty hip shades.) I think a mom or teen would like it. I'll post a pic when I'm done.
#68 of 150 Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 PM

What a cool idea! : I really want to make some scarves and have the perfect yarn for it! I am pretty much a beginner at knitting and crocheting, so I can commit to rectangles scarves and dishcloths are right up my alley. subbing!
#69 of 150 Old 03-15-2007, 02:41 AM

I would love to make some knit diapering items, but we're not exactly well-off here ourselves so I'd have to use what I have left over from my own personal projects.

I was thinking there are probably lots of soakers/longies/etc. made for full-term babies, but what about preemie or smaller newborns? My DD was a tiny newborn and is even small now at almost 5 months (about 12lbs), so I know how hard it is to find small items to CD your baby with.

That said, is there a demand for itty-bitty soakers and such? If so, I would be more than happy to contribute! I know I could definitely knit up two, and I was thinking I'd go with shorties since the summer months are approaching.
#70 of 150 Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToSusannah View Post
I would love to make some knit diapering items, but we're not exactly well-off here ourselves so I'd have to use what I have left over from my own personal projects.

I was thinking there are probably lots of soakers/longies/etc. made for full-term babies, but what about preemie or smaller newborns? My DD was a tiny newborn and is even small now at almost 5 months (about 12lbs), so I know how hard it is to find small items to CD your baby with.

That said, is there a demand for itty-bitty soakers and such? If so, I would be more than happy to contribute! I know I could definitely knit up two, and I was thinking I'd go with shorties since the summer months are approaching.
I'm not sure if you are able to access the links in my first post? The Holiday Helpers actually happens during November/December. Any items you knit will be saved until then and be sent to a mama based on her need. The FIN (Families in Need) are all MDC families. They sign up and let us know what they need for each member of their family. In order to be added to the list as a FIN, the person signing up must have been a member for at least 6 months and have posted at least 150 messages -- and participatory type messages, not just post count boosting type messages. Last year, nearly 200 families signed up. Since the sign up does not take place until Novemberish, we have no way of knowing how many FIN there will be or exactly what they will need.

I think it is important for each of us to knit something that touches our hearts, not to be knitting as though we are at a factory or something. This project is about reaching out to others in love, and I think we should have faith that when something is laid on our hearts, another mama will be in need of that item and God/the Universe is preparing for her need, even if she/we don't know it yet. Because a need for small diapering items touches your heart, I definitely think you should go for it.

Also, somewhere further up this thread, a mama mentioned that she has yarn, but not much time for knitting. She said she would be happy to pass some yarn along to someone who would use it to knit for Holiday Helpers. Let me go find the post and link it here for you. ETA:Here it is.
#71 of 150 Old 03-15-2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the clarification! For some reason I was thinking that it had turned into a year-round donation as well.

I will definitely make some small diapering items. I'm sure there will be someone who needs them.
#72 of 150 Old 03-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Okay, so yesterday I was very inspired to do some knitting for this. But then last night I did some clutter clearing and realized up til now, I have a tendency not to finish knitting projects. I found about 8 things on the needles and all are projects anywhere from 1 to 4 yrs old! So, rather than commit to something that possibly might not get finished, I think I would like to donate yarn. I think I saw that someone is looking for yarn? I have only skimmed the thread. Anyone interested? I have a smattering of stuff available and up for grabs for this project. Lmk. :
#73 of 150 Old 03-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Okay, so yesterday I was very inspired to do some knitting for this. But then last night I did some clutter clearing and realized up til now, I have a tendency not to finish knitting projects. I found about 8 things on the needles and all are projects anywhere from 1 to 4 yrs old! So, rather than commit to something that possibly might not get finished, I think I would like to donate yarn. I think I saw that someone is looking for yarn? I have only skimmed the thread. Anyone interested? I have a smattering of stuff available and up for grabs for this project. Lmk. :
I could use some yarn... I despise knitting with acrylic though. Cotton and wool are fine though. I could whip up some hats and bootees.
#74 of 150 Old 03-17-2007, 01:25 AM

Woo hoo! I finished a scarf. Since my broken finger makes working on blankets too hard right now - I decided to make a scarf. It's just made out some soft acrylic that I'd bought to learn to knit with (that has also been put on hold!). It's a peachy-pinkish color and it's very soft. It could be for an older child, teenager, or adult. I am attempting to make a hat to go with it - we'll see how that turns out!
#75 of 150 Old 03-17-2007, 01:24 PM

I was looking for boy yarns, since all I have are girl yarns

I just finished a project for me that is now going to be for the HH. Its a simple knitted bodice from the large KAL. Turned out too big, I just need to take out the short sleeves and make it long sleeves, so it would be nice for a young mom or a teen.
#76 of 150 Old 03-17-2007, 01:27 PM

I was looking for boy yarns, since all I have are girl yarns

I just finished a project for me that is now going to be for the HH. Its a simple knitted bodice from the large KAL. Turned out too big, I just need to take out the short sleeves and make it long sleeves, so it would be nice for a young mom or a teen.
#77 of 150 Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM

How did I just now notice this thread?!?!? I've been wanting to do some random knitting for others, so I'm glad to participate!
#78 of 150 Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 PM

Okay - I have a hat and scarf set! woo hoo - it's the first hat I've ever made and it turned out prett good. The seam is a little crooked, but it looks pretty good. I can't put the tassles on the scarf until my finger heals up though. So, do I need to email someone about it? I've never participated before. Do I just stick it in a closet until December?
#79 of 150 Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

You can either pm me or post to the thread. Since you posted on the thread, it is not necessary to do anything else. And, yup, hang on to it until December!
#80 of 150 Old 03-17-2007, 11:48 PM

Cool. Thanks Karen. I should add that this would be for a teenager or adult - the hat is roomy!
#81 of 150 Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeMomma View Post
On the knitting/crocheting note does anyone know of a site that gives general head sizes for age groups? I am pretty confident my kids heads fit in all the ranges that are out there but it's handy to know.
Here are some sizing resources:

Children's Body Measurements and Garment Sizing
Standard Body Measurements/Sizing

You can also check out sewing pattern sites (Simplicity, McCalls, etc.) for size charts too.
#82 of 150 Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM

Just wanted to mention, I still have some yarn left to donate. It's a pumpkiny/saffron orange, moss green and a few desert rose skeins. There's quite a bit of it and it's fingering or sport weight. Pm if you are interested. :
#83 of 150 Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 PM

fremontmama, those sound like they would be good weights for socks, which I am on a huge sock kick right now. I am heading out to the PNW in July so if you are willing to hold them til I get out that way, shipping would be cheaper
#84 of 150 Old 04-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
fremontmama, those sound like they would be good weights for socks, which I am on a huge sock kick right now. I am heading out to the PNW in July so if you are willing to hold them til I get out that way, shipping would be cheaper
That's cool. I would be happy to hold on to what I have for a while, it's just sitting under my desk at work waiting for someone to claim it. I actually have about 12 skeins of the pumpkin, 8 skeins of the moss green and 3 of the desert rose. Do you want all of that? Let me know what you want and I will set it aside for you, that way if someone else wants some of it, I can send that along soon. LMK :
#85 of 150 Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm way more than willing to share I don't know forseeable how many socks I can knit from Aug-Dec. Let me get thru these 2 adult socks and I'll know better how many skeins I would need
#86 of 150 Old 04-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I'm way more than willing to share I don't know forseeable how many socks I can knit from Aug-Dec. Let me get thru these 2 adult socks and I'll know better how many skeins I would need
Sounds good to me!
#87 of 150 Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 PM

I would like to get in on this. Holiday Helper, helped my SIL's family last year. She was telling me about it and it sounds great. I have a question though. I just opened a store on hyenacart.com and was wanting to auction off a couple of items with the money going to Holiday Helper, where would I send the money? and please don't say buy gift cards. I live in such a rural area that wal-mart is our greatest option and that is 2 hours away.
#88 of 150 Old 04-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Sorry, one more question-is it ok if I use knitting looms to do donated projects?
#89 of 150 Old 04-13-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtnsgirly View Post
Sorry, one more question-is it ok if I use knitting looms to do donated projects?
Yes, mama!
#90 of 150 Old 04-14-2007, 12:40 AM

Thank you:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page