The Holiday Helpers Knit/Crochet Along - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 150 Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to help, but I feel a little lost! It's probably b/c it's late, but I can't make much sense out of the HH forum...

I can definitely knock out a couple of toddler/infant hats! (The only thing I've successfully made so far ) So, what do I need to do?
#122 of 150 Old 11-21-2007, 12:09 PM

Hey mamas!

Just wanted to pop in here and explain the HH for those of you who feel a little lost. We have an entire sub-forum to ourselves over here.

To get a quick view of the rules and get the idea of what the HH is all about, go here. You will find a link to the database for families in need (FIN) for the States and seperately for Canada. There is a search option in the database, so you can type in "scarf" or "hat" and it will pull up the families that are stating they need those items.

Or, you can go to our indexed needs of Winter Gear.
Needed Winter Gear for Families in the States
Needed Winter Gear for Families in Canada

When you find a family that you'd like to help, PM the coordinator and let them know what family you want to help, and what you want to help with - and they will respond with the families address and will be able to take note of what you want to donate.

If you have any questions, please PM DreamsInDigital regarding US FINs. And myself for Canadian FINs. :

Taylor, committed to my Soldier. Lovin' my boys. Gabriel ('05) , Xavier ('07) and Mason ('09). Proud HBAC mama x 2.
#123 of 150 Old 11-21-2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks! I bet I can handle at least two sets of kids scarves/hats!
#124 of 150 Old 11-30-2007, 07:58 PM

Thank you all so much for doing this. I remember you all starting this just after last year's HH ended. You all are amazing.
#125 of 150 Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM

OK. It's April now, and this thread is lying dormant. Is nobody knitting this year?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#126 of 150 Old 04-24-2008, 04:57 PM

Well, I'm not - I've been too busy gardening :
#127 of 150 Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
OK. It's April now, and this thread is lying dormant. Is nobody knitting this year?
Well...I'm still finishing up last year's Christmas presents... :
#128 of 150 Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 AM

too busy- adopted a rescue dog, going to births, homeschooling, home repairs. Not enough hours in the day!
#129 of 150 Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I have been super busy and haven't knit very much. However, I just finished the last exam of my first year of law school!!! I have 3 weeks off before I (1) start working and (2) start summer classes. I'm hoping to knit something during the next few weeks...
#130 of 150 Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
because I am too lazy to read the entire thread (I mean . . . um . .. i could spend my time knitting or reading and it looks like I need to get knitting . . . . ) what are the things most needed?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#131 of 150 Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

We have been encouraging people to knit what they feel passionate about knitting. There are needs for all ages and all kinds of knit items -- warm weather items, baby items, and gift items. It seems as though the most difficult needs for Holiday Helpers to fill are those for teenagers and parents. Many MDC mamas have younger children and pass on gently used items to the Families in Need. But older children can be tricky because less people have gently used items to pass on.

I feel strongly that people should knit what they have time, talent, and passion to knit because I think it should be a joy, not a burden, to participate in this project. There are so many Families in Need and so many different needs that there should be a match for whatever FO you have been able to complete.
#132 of 150 Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM

There are a lot of cute free patterns out there for a light tank / shell. I'm going to knit one in the size I think 10y.o. (But teen sized) dd will be in 6-8 months, and one in a size up. Whichever she isn't, will go to FIN with a teen girl that size. I suck at sleeves, but luckily tanks or shells over sleeved shirts is cute and "in" right now. So I could go to Old Navy and get a long sleeve tee in a coordinating color that could go under it.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#133 of 150 Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 PM

I'm a brand new knitter but could I jump in?? I can make hats with my knifty knitter....they aren't super fancy but they are plenty warm. I have made a couple for my kiddos.

I'm also working on learning the long loom so I can make scarves, my needle knit scarf isn't fit for anyone but my own kiddos, they aren't good enough IMO

Here is one I made for my DD http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82...m/100_4806.jpg

LMK if it's something that would be okay for HH

I'm always buying yarn (acrylic) so I'll have all sorts of colors.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#134 of 150 Old 08-13-2008, 03:45 PM

I just inherited a bunch of baby hats, that have been hand knit and I just need to weave in the ends. Can someone PM me if these can be used and tell me where to send them?
#135 of 150 Old 09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

i would love to help this year with holiday helpers. however im a new member and from my understanding i have to be a member for 6 months before i can get into the tp. i wounder if they would bump me up just to like dec 1st instead of the 23 so i could help.

anyway im getting a tonf of yarn gifted to me for charity knitting which i consider this so i could knit some wonderful things for people!
#136 of 150 Old 10-06-2008, 02:38 AM

I think you can PM a mod and they can help you figure out how to get info to help with HH

I have a whole bag of doll clothing, that just needs fasteners... which i have none of -nor woul di have time to sew them (too much to knit and crochet, some i want to try to do for HH) - does anyone know if anyone would be up to something like that??

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#137 of 150 Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't been around on the boards very much at all for the past year. I'm in law school now which equals total craziness!! However, I have been dropping in now and then.

The Holiday Helpers Thread is now up for this year. I'm not allowed to post links in the body of a post (it is spamming to do that, according to the UA). However, if you check out my sig, you will see the three flashing icons for the Holiday Helpers. Click on the first one to be brought to the MDC Holiday Helpers Forum. Click on the second one to be brought to the list of Families in Need in the US and the third one for the Families in Need in Canada.

The Holiday Helpers Forum is hosted in the MDC Trading Post and therefore has the same minimum days/post requirements as that forum. The list of Families in Need is hosted on an MDC mama's private website and does not have any minimum requirements. You CAN help even if you can't access the Forums!

If you have any questions about Holiday Helpers, you can post messages in the forum or contact one of the organizers directly. For the US, DreamsInDigital is coordinating and helping out with everything. frogger is handling Gift cards. SleeplessMommy and cyrusmama will be distributing Gently Used Items. For Canada, JustVanessa is the coordinator, Hollycrand is in charge of Gift Cards and weliveintheforest and niki_73 will be taking care of Gently Used Items.
#138 of 150 Old 11-22-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
I think you can PM a mod and they can help you figure out how to get info to help with HH

I have a whole bag of doll clothing, that just needs fasteners... which i have none of -nor woul di have time to sew them (too much to knit and crochet, some i want to try to do for HH) - does anyone know if anyone would be up to something like that??
I bet you could just post it on the gui list over at HH and one of the MIN would snap it up to finish herself. You should probably be specific about what kind of doll they're for. What kind of fasteners are you looking for?
#139 of 150 Old 12-12-2008, 03:01 AM

The Holiday Helper thread is still going on if anyone had anything finished that they needed to find a home for, you can feel free to pm me, or you can go directly to the database http://www.shesdreamingindigital.com/holidayhelper/ and find a family you would like to send to then let myself or one of the other organizers know and we can get you an address.
#140 of 150 Old 12-12-2008, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
yes, the thread is very much going on.
We have a lot of FINS (family in need) who currently have Nothing going to them. many in cold climates.. hint hint.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#141 of 150 Old 09-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Time to start knitting for 2009!:
#142 of 150 Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM

I could NOT find this thread for the longest time after I first saw it!

I'm working on a pair of knitted "baby legs" right now.
#143 of 150 Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 PM

Hellooooooooooooooooooo???
#144 of 150 Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM

I dont have time to crochet new ones this year but i DO have the ability to go through all the ones over years passt and send those out to families.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#145 of 150 Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I dont have time to crochet new ones this year but i DO have the ability to go through all the ones over years passt and send those out to families.
I'm making some little toys now. Trying to make smaller things. We're officially unemployed recently, so I'm hoping to keep my shipping costs low. Making little gnomes and such. I made the cutest little acorn pouches for them last night. I'm keeping on for my own preschooler, she'll love it.
#146 of 150 Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Anyone else crafting for Holiday Helper this year??

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#147 of 150 Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 PM

Can anybody who knits longies tell me if Peace Fleece worsted weight (30% mohair, 70% wool) is suitable and soft enough for infant longies?

If so, how much yardage would you need for newborn?

How much for say, a 24mo size?

Thanks knitters...I have some I may send to a MIN, but want to make sure it'll work first...
#148 of 150 Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 AM

soft warm fuzzy mdc made items how sweet

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#149 of 150 Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 AM

I'd like to join. I can commit this month and next month with

Wool diaper covers/soakers - NB and small
Baby/Infant size mittens

The best thing a mother can do is to love the children.
#150 of 150 Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Hello. Well, I got set back but am hoping to still participate. We had an unexpected local FIN, and I gave the little toys I had made to the LO's. And even now I'm sewing two dozen diapers for them.

But hopefully, I'll still get something done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page