Sewing projects for a 5 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd just turned 5 a few days ago. I like to sew and she has a keen interest in hand stitching right now. I've only taught her the prickstitch, as until very recently, that was the only stitch she could remember well. I'd like to teach her more as she becomes more proficient, but I'm not a great seamstress and I honestly don't do much hand stitching. I'm still learning, too. I was wondering if anyone has any products you could suggest to help teach dd simple hand stitching techniques. I've looked in the typical places like Michaels and Joanne. I'd also like to get some organic fabric for her to work with that isn't outrageous in price. Does anyone have online resources for any of this?
#2 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 02:20 PM

"family fun" magazine had an idea for a pocket scarf made out of fleece. . . it uses a backstitch and some buttons.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and...&craftid=11593
#3 of 7 Old 02-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Simply love that idea!!!

Dd #1 is turning 5 and got a sewing machine for Christmas. We will be doing a rag quilt for her first project. Easy straight stitches with frayed edges... super first project.
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas!! Wonderful!
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM

I learned to sew as a kid mostly from watching Sewing With Nancy on PBS. I inherrited my GM's fabric stash (she died before teaching me.) It was full of swatches of brocades and jacuards from when she worked at a fabrice store, so I made evening gowns for my stuffed animals.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2007, 05:19 PM

My daughter has loved The Mary Frances Sewing Book. It is a sweet story, and includes a full course on hand-sewing. There is also a pocket full of doll clothes patterns in the back, but most of them are fairly advanced and sized for (I think) a porcelain doll.

Another good resource for smaller children is Feltcraft. It has lots of small projects that are fun to make and give good results, a few of the patterns are good for five year olds, and the rest will be grown into soon enough. We use wool or wool blend felt, and my daughter has enjoyed tracing the patterns and making little gnomes, etc. Felt bookmarks are also a good project, as she can applique little felt shapes onto a single layer of felt, then blanket stitch on the backing (cotton or felt depending on the weight of the felt you are using. Wool felt is readily available at our Joann fabric store.

I also keep a basket of fabric scraps on the floor for my girls to play with. Dd1 can thread her own needle and likes to experiment with freeform fabric sculpture. Yesterday she stitched together a very-cool-for-a-five-year-old toucan from scraps she had cut, tied, and sewn together.

A couple of her other projects underway are a doll quilt that she hand pieced using a running stitch. I ran the thread through the layers for tying it, and she cut it and is tying it (over halfway done), then she'll whipstitch the binding on to finish it. She is also sewing a dress for her waldorf-style doll. I helped her cut the pattern (lots of curves), and I pink the edges and iron when she finishes a seam, but I haven't put in a stitch. She really enjoys making things, and I'm glad she is inspired and imaginative.

Have fun!
#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 PM

My first sewing project was in brownies. We made a felt owl with blanket stitch all around the outside, one 2 hole button and one shank button for eyes and a satin stitch beak. We outlined the wings in running stitch and stuffed him. I loved my owl til he wore out. I am starting my daughter sewing soon and our first project will be a felt needle book to keep her needles in. I think we will probably adapt one of the purse patterns in Felt Wee Folk. I think it is an very important skill to teach. So many young adults now have no idea how to sew on a button or hem a pair of pants or mend the most basic of things. I am determined that my daughter won't be one of those!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page