If you make your own wipes.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what do you use? I was thinking of just using old receiving blankets (already have TONS of those) but would they be absorbant enough? what about just buying a bulk lot of washcloths? what type of material works well for poopy diapers? I'm open to any and all ideas Thanks

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 04:18 PM

i bought a bunch of baby washclothes they work great !!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:22 PM

We just use baby washcloths - we received so many! The white, yellow, blue and green are for her bum. The pink we keep separate for her face.

I wash them with our cloth dipes. When they get too nubby I will consider receiving blankets or just getting more cloths. I prefer cloths that are thinner - easier to clean the creases.

Sometimes it takes more than one cloth to clean a poopy dipe - but not usually. I fold the washcloth into quarters and am able to clean/wipe everything using one cloth. Then that one goes into the diaper pail and I use another one to pat dry. I reuse the drying cloth a couple of times.

I like using cloth wipes!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamak05 View Post
We just use baby washcloths - we received so many! The white, yellow, blue and green are for her bum. The pink we keep separate for her face.
Similar here....green & yellow for bum, pink & white for face! That being said, I find those cheap baby washcloths tend to not absorb the wipe solution very quickly. When I squirt solution onto them from a peri bottle, the solution beads and runs off the side unless I do it slowly. Flannel seems to absorb better/faster. Still plan to use the washcloths, but will also be adding a few square flannel liners from some worn-out mama pads....they are the perfect size & texture for baby wipes.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:46 PM

I bought 2 yards of flannel and made 2 dozen wipes. The flannel isn't that expensive, and I like my camo wipes. I used T&T so there were no rough edges. I think it cost about $5 for the fabric and they're still holding up well. I use a spray bottle I got from CVS for the wipe solution and usually either spray his butt or the wipe and it works well.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
I used T&T so there were no rough edges.
pardon my ignorance.....but what is "T&T"??
Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM

T&T = turned and topstitched, sewn with right sides together, then turned right side out and sewn again

These are serged.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM

I like to use whatever leftover fabric I have around, but my favorites are velour and baby terry. Flannel is okay too. I do 2 layers, about 8x8, with serged edges. I keep them dry and wet them down with a spray bottle as needed.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 02-12-2007, 07:02 PM

i like flannel and terry. the last time i made wipes i used old flannel recieving blankets and some stretch terry i found at walmart for $1 a yard. i serge the edges and i really am liking the 5x8 vs the 8x8 that i have to fold in half to fit in the wipe warmer. i turned and topstiched some of the first batch i did but then i found someone who let me borrow her serger and i prefer the serged. now i have a serger so it's not a big deal when i want to make them.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:03 PM

I used receiving blankets serged.

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 PM

I make double sided wipes. I use sherpa and velour and serge them into 8x8 wipes.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM

I use cotton flannel and make doube-sided 8x8' squares, zigzag stitched together.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
Old 02-12-2007, 07:28 PM

I use double sided flannel, T&T

Kellie
Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 PM

I preferred my wipes to be one thickness. I made some that were double thick and I really dislike them. I can't get them into DD's nooks and crannies as easily. JMHO.

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnseedoil View Post
I preferred my wipes to be one thickness. I made some that were double thick and I really dislike them. I can't get them into DD's nooks and crannies as easily. JMHO.
One thickness of which fabric?? My two pieces of flannel work really good together and get in all the nooks, but then again, boys don't have that many crannies.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:29 PM

cotton receiving blankets. the double thickness are nice to use as washcloths though.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:39 AM

I really like flannel/sherpa or flannel/velour 8x8". I also have some organic sherpa/velour ones that I made that are lovely, but I keep them out for my face!!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
Old 02-13-2007, 06:41 PM

I switched to homemade wipes with dd2. Wish I'd used them with dd1 because they're so easy!

I sewed a bunch of double-sided flannel, but we decided that single-sided works better: it gets in the crannies and doesn't soak up as much butt cleaner spray as double-sided.

Also, we tried using a wet wipe warmer, but it only lasted a day: it took a lot of solution to keep the double-sided wipes moist and the solution also evaporates in the warmer. We realized that using the spray bottle to wet each wipe worked great. The wipes are not as cold on the bum as disposable wipes. I spray the wipe and sometimes I'll hold it in my hand for a couple seconds to warm it up before using it.

Mom to two amazing girls: big E 7/04 & little e 1/07
Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou sooo much everyone for all your tips and ideas! I do have a question though.... sorry if it's silly, I'm not that crafty but for fleece wipes would I just go to a craft store like JoAnns and buy some fleece. Is there any particular kind that works better than others.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:12 AM

Fleece? I am not sure that would work well. Microfleece is supposed to wick so maybe that would work. Other fleece can repel so it wouldn't absorb the water you wet the wipe with. I have some double sided flannel/terry wipes and they are ok, but a little thick and not super soft. I just made some one layer cotton velour wipes and love them. They are not perfect, I just zig zagged the edges but they are so much softer.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
Fleece? I am not sure that would work well. Microfleece is supposed to wick so maybe that would work. Other fleece can repel so it wouldn't absorb the water you wet the wipe with. I have some double sided flannel/terry wipes and they are ok, but a little thick and not super soft. I just made some one layer cotton velour wipes and love them. They are not perfect, I just zig zagged the edges but they are so much softer.
oops... I meant to type flannel

Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 AM

I made flannel/terrycloth wipes, and we like them a lot. We also use them in the diapers if DS is leaking poop (what can I say, I like my diapers to stay white!), or if we need more absorbancy.

And yes, I just went to JoAnns for the material. Seems to be good quality, they're holding up just fine!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:16 PM

I buy wash cloths and use them. Wayyy less work than making your own. I buy the good quality washcloths though b/c the cheap ones are thin and scratchy.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:17 PM

I bought microfiber towels from Costco, cut them into quarters (they were 16x16, so each wipe is now 8x8), surged the edges, and for less than $10 I have 96 wipes so I will never run out! The do a nice job, too.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:00 AM

I thought you weren't supposed to keep those next to baby's skin. I din't think you could use them as wipes, but I guess if they're wet, it won't matter.

User Tag List