want to learn to knit - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-13-2002, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can any one suggest a good book or video? Or even better, anyone in the Seattle area willing to donate a afternoon to teach me? We could work out some sort of trade.
Sarah
#2 of 11 Old 02-13-2002, 06:34 AM

Last winter, I taught myself how to knit & crochet! Someone showed me a little knitting & I loved it so I went & bought books on knitting & crochet. I've made several hats (my favorite).

I used the Leisure Arts book called I can't believe I'm Knitting . It's leaflet 2984 & only costs $8.95! I looked at several different books before I decided. I felt the illustrations were more clear in this book. I wish you were closer. I'd love to teach you!

If you are interested in crochet, I like the Leisure Arts Leaflet 777 ($6.00). New Crochet Basics .

Happy knitting!
organicmama
#3 of 11 Old 02-13-2002, 01:28 PM

I second organicmama! I bought the same booklet (I can't believe..) and it helped me a lot.
#4 of 11 Old 02-13-2002, 10:10 PM

I have something that I cut out & saved from Martha Stewart Living magazine p 162-170, not sure which issue. It's from the 'learning' section titled "Knitting 101". Anyway, I'd be willing to photocopy it & mail it to you. If you're interested email me
#5 of 11 Old 02-14-2002, 11:08 AM

I tried to learn to knit many times. Finally I found this book and bamboo needles and it all made sense to me. The bamboo needles are great! I had been using the more generic metal needles before, bamboo (or hard wood) has more slip to it, so the stitches move more easily from needle to needle. This is really important if your tension is tight, like mine.

Best of luck, Ashlea
#6 of 11 Old 02-17-2002, 11:54 AM

I have to reply bc I just learned a few weeks ago myself. KIDS KNITTING by Melanie Falick. Yes, its written for kids, yes the illustrations are bold, bright, clear. They do not assume you know anything! I love this book. I had gotten a few others, like Knitting for dummies or st, but I guess I was too big of a dummy even for that one, lol! Seriously this book is great!

btw I just got it from the library, which is what I would reccomend until you're sure you'll like it.

Knitting is a lot of fun, I just finished a two color hat with tassles, and scarf with pockets set for dd. Its very cute if I do say so myself.

good luck
#7 of 11 Old 02-18-2002, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

hey thanks for all the pointers I have a couple of days off this week so I'm going to hunt down the those books!
I let you know when I'm knitting!
Sarah
#8 of 11 Old 02-25-2002, 06:31 PM

I ive in the Seattle area too. There are some great knitting shops that offer classes!!!

http://www.weavingworks.com/
http://www.acornstreet.com/
#9 of 11 Old 03-19-2002, 12:08 AM

Drop by a nearby knitting store and confess your ignorance! They will probably sit you right down with needles and wool and teach you. Our local stores all have big couches and big pots of tea. Although I do know how to knit, I can always ask someone who has more experience for advice about interpreting or altering a pattern.
#10 of 11 Old 03-20-2002, 06:13 AM

Kids knitting worked for me!
#11 of 11 Old 03-20-2002, 11:57 AM

Ditto on the Kids Knitting book! It totally helped me get started. I also refer to web sites for help, particularly knitting.about.com
The boards there have been really helpful whenever I have a question!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page