what is your monthly yarn budget? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I spent $57 this month.

I bought:
two skeins of koigu painters pallet ($11.25x2 = $22.50)
one skein of baby alpaca grande by plymouth yarn ($13.29)
a new size f crochet hook ($2.45)
regina 4ply sock yarn ($7.25)
brittany DPNs size #2 ($8.50) = $53.99

Is this a ton of money on yarn and supplies? I keep telling myself that it isn't but man.. it seems like it!
#2 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whatever amount can be easily hidden from DH that month... It varies.

Also, dude, next time you need Brittany's - get them at Frugal Knitting ****, they're $6.99 w/ free shipping.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#3 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

oh that's good to know about the brittanies! I got them on a whim. I was coerced by a friend into trying to knit some socks and the brittany's have that great warranty! If I end up doing some more socks and need smaller/larger needles I'll definately look into that.

I'm also lucky that DP and I have seperate bank accounts so he really doesn't know what I spend on yarn. I think he might be horrified. he was pretty amazed when I told him the alpaca yarn I bought was nearly 14$, but he understood when he felt it and realized it is oh so soft.
#4 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 09:01 PM

I don't really have a monthly yarn budget. I usually buy things in bulk when I can get a deal, and then store it. For example, LTK had a sale in January so I bought $100 of yarn, and I'll store it until I am ready to use it. It'll last me a while. I have a cedar chest of yarn from LTK, knitpicks, and from the LYS's last sale. I'm kind of a boring knitter though, I knit longies, socks, sweaters, and the occasional scarf or hat. So usually my stockpiled stash has whatever I need.
#5 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
WNB

My CC just sent out the year-end summary of all expenses charged to that card. KNitting stuff was more than diapers -- and I've been knitting for about the same amount of time that I've been a mom. So the knitting budget is now a function of what I use up from stash.

That worked (sort of) for January: I knit most of Dad's slippers from stash yarn, but in the process, fell even more in love with it and bought a whole bag of the stuff so I can knit some more with it after I finish up the slippers.

February is good so far. Knitting the DVD carrier from stash, knitting a baby-size version of the Lotus Blossom tank from IK Summer06 from the mostly unused skein left over from the Green Gable project. After that I have two sweater-size batches of yarn awaiting firm plans, and two girl-color soaker size batches of yarn (in yummy BFL again). And I exchanged an extra ball of Sugar n Cream, so now I have 2 balls of one color (enough for another market bag if I feel like it).
#6 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 09:52 PM

My set budget is zero. What I actually spend depends on how many extra shifts I work, how many slings I've sold, etc. (basically, if I have extra $$, it goes to the LYS. )

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#7 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 02:05 AM

whatever i can convince DH to let me spend
#8 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitterMama View Post
Also, dude, next time you need Brittany's - get them at Frugal Knitting ****, they're $6.99 w/ free shipping.
Link please :

My budget varies depending on how often DH wants to order out.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#9 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 PM

nak-

i don't have a set budget. i buy as i need. i tend to splurge and buy a ton and then not buy anything for a few months. it's a cycle.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#10 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 PM

Well, I have a $100/month allowance and usually 3/5 goes to yarn/dye/fiber/fiber books etc. It's an obsession. Everytime DH rolls his eyes I remind him that he's the one who told me to get a hobby.
#11 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Um, nothing right now. I went a little yarn crazy last year. It had probably been 10 years since the last time I knit anything, and when I started again, I was in love. Between about July and December I probably spent about $1500 on yarn. I wish I was kidding. Since the yarn wasn't all in one place and not all purchased at the same time and because I was behind on my bookkeeping, I didn't realize just how much it was. Then DH built me a bookcase for craft supplies and I put the hooks on the wall to hang some of the yarn that wasn't yet wound into a ball. I don't have enough room for it all. I have yarn coming from 2 more co-ops (which is included in the total through December but which hasn't been delivered yet as it needed to be dyed). After that yarn, I am not buying any more (except if I buy some to swap). I have enough yarn to knit for at least this entire year and probably next year as well.
#12 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Link please :

My budget varies depending on how often DH wants to order out.
http://www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/pr...?idproduct=205

There you go dahling. :

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#13 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 PM

yeah, i sort of buy in spurts too. i have this love hate relationship with my stash. when it's full, i feel like i need to get it all knit up and i get a little stressed about it for some reason. like "i bought all this now i'd better find a use for it!".. but there's usually enough to keep me knitting for a few months. when it's lacking, i feel uninspired. Usually i have a stack of about eight to ten projects i want to make and the yarn lined up for them. But i'm bad about getting sidetracked to try something new. I'm never at a loss for something to knit.

i like to keep a range of yarns on hand.. a little cotton, a little cotton/acrylic bend, a litte lace, a little fingering, a little fluffy stuff wool so i can knit on a whim. I wish i had more color variety, but as it stands, i probably have $300 worth of yarn to knit up. I have a dresser in the living room (trust me.. it goes.. sounds funny but looks great) and three drawers are devoted to my real yarn stash. (in the hall closet i have our moses basket with some acrylic and lots and lots of crochet doily cotton that was passed down from my grandmother that i dip into once in awhile) I have a deal with myself that when one drawer is empty, i can fill it back up with whatever i want.. which ends up being about $100 to $150 worth of reasonably priced yarn (nothing too fancy but nothing cheap) if i play my cards right. Right now, i've been knitting on my stash for almost two months and i'm not even halfway to an empty drawer. But i've been lace knitting more than anything.. lots of time.. little yarn.

anyway.. that's how i keep my budget and my stash in check. it's a reward system.. can't buy more unless it's replacing what i've used.

yan buying is usually more fun than knitting so i knit like mad to get to buy more yarn. i should knit more with bulky yarn.. then i'd get to shop for yarn more often.

amber
#14 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
WNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
Um, nothing right now. I went a little yarn crazy last year. It had probably been 10 years since the last time I knit anything, and when I started again, I was in love. Between about July and December I probably spent about $1500 on yarn. I wish I was kidding. Since the yarn wasn't all in one place and not all purchased at the same time and because I was behind on my bookkeeping, I didn't realize just how much it was. Then DH built me a bookcase for craft supplies and I put the hooks on the wall to hang some of the yarn that wasn't yet wound into a ball. I don't have enough room for it all. I have yarn coming from 2 more co-ops (which is included in the total through December but which hasn't been delivered yet as it needed to be dyed). After that yarn, I am not buying any more (except if I buy some to swap). I have enough yarn to knit for at least this entire year and probably next year as well.
HA, sounds like me!! I had been wondering, in December, just how much I'd spent. After the year-end CC summary took all the mystery out of it, I figured it's time to "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". I didn't get into either of the recent co-ops (but not for lack of trying) - and now I guess that's a good thing.
#15 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 06:00 PM

I don't have a budget.

If I see something I like, I buy it.

One month it might be $20, and the next $200.
I'm thinking that last month was closer to the $200 mark.

Yarn and knitting supplies make me happy.
#16 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 PM

Depends on the month. spent $150 at the end of November, some months none really. At thye thrift store- whatever looks good. I don't bother with acrylic anymore but have fouind some astounding bargains at the thrift store (7 skeins on Italian mohair for $2!) I plan on getting some peace fleece soon for Jayne hats.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page