If you had to choose one pattern... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 02-14-2007, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am gearing up to make my first diapers. I have been following the thread on free diaper patterns and I think I may try the ottobre and/or the mamabird pattern first. But if you could only choose one pattern to purchase, what would you use? For now I want to make fitteds, maybe a cover. I am not too interested in aios. I have the material already so I don't need diaper kits, although sounds like a nice option.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 44 Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 PM

www.darlingdiapers.com patterns! She has them somewhere else for even cheaper but I can't find the link. Totally worth your money. She has a pocket fitted and AIO pattern, and either one can be adapted for fitted or AIOs. I love both patterns and they are idiot-proof, tons of pics, personal email help from Amber, and sent via email so you can print tons of copies!
#3 of 44 Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 PM

I'd second the vote for DD. They're the first ones I bought and they're great. You just can't go past all the great instructions and all the modifications they give.
#4 of 44 Old 02-14-2007, 07:36 PM

Great question thanks!:

Amy - WOHM to DS 4/06 bikenew.gif and expecting baby bean in September 2011baby.gif
#5 of 44 Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 PM

I third the recomendation for darling diapers as their patterns are easy to follow and make great pockets. You could get the fitted pattern ( which is good)
#6 of 44 Old 02-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Very Baby hands down.
#7 of 44 Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 PM

Are the Very Baby patterns PDF (emailed) or do they snailmail them? Right now I'm looking at both the Very Baby patterns and the DD, but DD's are winning because they'll email the pattern.
#8 of 44 Old 02-15-2007, 05:03 PM

I'm all about the Fattycakes pattern!!

Melanie
#9 of 44 Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM

I decided on the VB fitted pattern this time around for new babe due in September. I heard that the kissaluvs 0s fit very well so I stretched a kissaluv over the VB fitted pattern and it's very close. That sort of gives me the reassurance to go forward without a bum to try one on.

For my daughter I made lots of VB AIOs and was very happy with the pattern and the diapers.

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.
#10 of 44 Old 02-16-2007, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell_mel View Post
I'm all about the Fattycakes pattern!!
Where did you find it? I can't find the pattern anywhere. I am thinking VB right now, I love all the info on the website. I don't see anywhere though if it is downloadable. That would definetely be a plus.
#11 of 44 Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Have you looked at any of the free patterns yet? Here's one that has very easy to follow instructions with lots of pictures walking you thru it.
http://mayna.livejournal.com/198548.html
#12 of 44 Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
Where did you find it? I can't find the pattern anywhere. I am thinking VB right now, I love all the info on the website. I don't see anywhere though if it is downloadable. That would definetely be a plus.
The Fattycakes pattern is totally awesome and it is pfd, pdf, something like that anyways LOL. PM strawhatbrat to buy it as she is it's fabulous creator. If you want to fall compleatly in love go here
http://hyenacart.com/DivaDesigns/
and look at the ones she makes, click on Fattycakes at the top or just scroll down. They are to die for! Hope that helps!
#13 of 44 Old 02-19-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
Oops. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Looks like Cheryl took care of it.

Melanie
#14 of 44 Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 AM

Would the DD be good for a very beginner?

And can you make it just a fitted without the pocket?

Thanks!
#15 of 44 Old 02-19-2007, 01:26 PM

The DD has a fitted pattern and an AIO pattern. Both are very good. The instructions are thorough and you really could learn a lot from doing it. If you start with flannel for a fitted you will have a lot of success without the stress of stretchy fabric. Flannels almost always turn out nice!!! The fattycakes is great but doesn't have thorough instructions. I have also heard the very baby is good.
#16 of 44 Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl b. View Post
The Fattycakes pattern is totally awesome and it is pfd, pdf, something like that anyways LOL. PM strawhatbrat to buy it as she is it's fabulous creator. If you want to fall compleatly in love go here
http://hyenacart.com/DivaDesigns/
and look at the ones she makes, click on Fattycakes at the top or just scroll down. They are to die for! Hope that helps!
Do you know how much the Fattycakes pattern costs?

I attempted my first diaper using the DD pattern and failed miserably (I'm a total newbie with just a few bibs under my belt so far). I tried to convert the DD AIO pattern to a fitted, but it will take some practice.

I'm curious to see other's responses to this question to see if I should try another pattern or keep going with the DD.
#17 of 44 Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 PM

that link JordanB posted looks great, better than a lot I've seen. I really need to get some velcro...
#18 of 44 Old 03-03-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoh View Post
Do you know how much the Fattycakes pattern costs?

I attempted my first diaper using the DD pattern and failed miserably (I'm a total newbie with just a few bibs under my belt so far). I tried to convert the DD AIO pattern to a fitted, but it will take some practice.

I'm curious to see other's responses to this question to see if I should try another pattern or keep going with the DD.
I would stick with the DD. The fattycakes has a good fit, but the directions are completely inadequate for a newbie IMHO. Go to sewdiapers.com and look at the directions for making a Very Baby AIO into a fitted. You can just apply this to the DD AIO. You have to create an account, but it is free.

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#19 of 44 Old 03-04-2007, 04:31 PM

I have been using the Very Baby patterns...super easy

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#20 of 44 Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM

i have been using the Very Baby patterns and haven't been happy with anything else. When I think I want to use a different diaper, I am disappointed. Doesnt happen with the Very Baby patterns.
#21 of 44 Old 03-07-2007, 11:28 PM

Another vote for fattycakes! It's the only diaper pattern I use now.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#22 of 44 Old 03-10-2007, 02:58 PM

I haven't seen it mentioned, but my vote is for Chloe Toes. www.chloetoesboutique.com It is the best-fitting diaper we've ever used and they sew up faster than anything. I can sew a whole diaper in less than 30 min and they never leak. I tried a lot of different patterns and every freebie around, plus lots of diapers I bought and these are the only ones we use anymore. I used to like Honey Boys but they take about four times as long and are way bulkier. Dd can now wear jeans again.

I sold my other diapers and patterns. Our entire diaper stash is CT diapers. The cool thing about the fit is how they are so trim b/c they go under the tummy in front but they still cover the whole bum in back. They don't sag or get droopy b/c of the way they fit. I learned about them on one of my diaper sewing lists and I didn't buy the pattern right away b/c it was more expensive than I wanted to pay, but once I got it, I realized it was well worth the money. You can get them from coops sometimes too if you're lucky enough. (Only I'd ask around about the coops you buy from b/c one of them has not delivered for months.)
#23 of 44 Old 03-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Here's a review of the pattern I use. This mama is on the nursing moms sewing list and I read her blog pretty regularly. I heard of the pattern here and on the sewyourowndiapers list.
http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitcher...toes_diap.html
#24 of 44 Old 03-11-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned, but my vote is for Chloe Toes. www.chloetoesboutique.com It is the best-fitting diaper we've ever used and they sew up faster than anything. I can sew a whole diaper in less than 30 min and they never leak.

I love this pattern as well but you have to like to use FOE to make it worth it and have a snap press IMHO. I just don't think aplix and FOE are friends myself though many moms tweak the pattern to use APLIX. Otherwise this would have been my number one choice. They are fast and fun to make.

For T&T pul I use Darling Diapers because it is the easiest to get the PUL to roll in.

The fatty cakes is great for fitteds and alot of moms like it for PUL combinations but I personally don't care for it with PUL.
#25 of 44 Old 03-11-2007, 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=CJ 5;7525978]I love this pattern as well but you have to like to use FOE to make it worth it and have a snap press IMHO. I just don't think aplix and FOE are friends myself though many moms tweak the pattern to use APLIX. Otherwise this would have been my number one choice. They are fast and fun to make.

QUOTE]

True, if you hate foe, then you prolly wouldn't like this pattern. But it's the foe that I think makes it so much easier and faster to sew than all the rest. Plus I think foe holds in leaks better. But I happen to like to sew it also. Well, once I figured out how to sew it I liked it. I thought it was hard to sew foe at first but the learning curve goes up fast and now I htink it's easier than anything. I put foe on lots of stuff now that I know how to use it.

As for snaps, I like them better too, but I do have my first dozen CT diapers with touch tape (tt holds better than aplix imo) and they work just as well as the snap ones. If you go on the cradledincloth coop there's a set of instructions for how you make the diapers with hook and loop where you make the hook pieces removable and they don't wreck stuff in the laundry. It's more work but it's kinda cool. I only made two this way but they get used more than my other ones that have regular tt.

But then I got a snap press and wow, I am a total convert lol! With the snap press and this pattern I am totally happy with our cloth diapers.
#26 of 44 Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 PM

I love VB and DD!!! They both are great. I've used the VB pattern for a couple years now and just recently decided to purchase the DD pattern for something new to try. They really are both quite awesome! Oh, and ftr, I have the AIO patterns for both, but they could easily be adapted to make fitteds. And the great thing about the DD AIO pattern is that there is a pattern for side closing or front closing (not sure if the fitted DD pattern does as well.)

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#27 of 44 Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 PM

I like wee weka one size pattern. It has been the best fitting of all DS's diapers in every size.

Here's a link: http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/im...M%20Pocket.pdf

And here are a bunch of other free patterns... http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/im...M%20Pocket.pdf

Also, I've never tried it, but I hear good things about the fattycakes pattern (available from the administrator of www.diapersewingdivas.com). Everyone on that board uses it, but that might just be because the administrator invented it. Plus, everyone's friends with each other over there, so they use each other's stuff.

Heidi mum to Isaac (06/06), Matea (04/08), and Naomi (04/10)
#28 of 44 Old 03-12-2007, 06:24 PM

If you have problems with the Fattycakes pattern, then just jump right on in and ask questions over at Diaper Sewing Divas - you'll probably end up getting way too many responses. Also, everyone has tried it one way or another, so if you want to make it an AIO or a fitted, velcro, front closing or a wool cover, just ask and I will bet you'll get at least three responses (they're chatty over there, lol!)
#29 of 44 Old 03-12-2007, 06:26 PM

I'm another vote for the VB AIO pattern. It's my favorite! I have several others & I always end up back at this pattern. It fits well, has great directions & can be made into any type of diaper you want (AIO, pocket, fitted, etc.).

I'll just put it out there that I'm a vote against the DD AIO pattern. I made several attempts at it & failed miserably. This after making 40+ VB's, so I surely wasn't a newbie diaper maker. My biggest complaint is that I hate how the PUL is folded over to finish the diaper. I like all of my edges to be more finished than that. JMHO.
#30 of 44 Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Everyone on that board uses it, but that might just be because the administrator invented it.
Actually, many people on the board, including myself, use it because it's a great pattern. And affordable. I like that it works on my almost 4 yr old with full bum coverage, something I couldn't find in most other patterns. And side snapping was a must with little miss ripped off aplix diapers. Though we do also love Berritt (the designer of Fattycakes).

I also would recommend the DD pattern - makes a nice trim AIO.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page