the LARGERer KAL - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 117 Old 02-26-2007, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The bonus talk went not well. The company changed the time frame for which they give bonus. Looks like I'm out! : Bummer. I'm going to keep an eye on everyone else's progress though. And I bookmarked the pattern for the proverbial "some time in the future".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 117 Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Okay, I couldn't stand it. I had to get started. Anyone else?
#63 of 117 Old 02-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Wheee, finally got my yarn and needles in today! Took long enough. So I will swatch tonight and cast on if I have time (I'm sure I'll make time!). I loooove the knitpick options- I'm so happy I got them.
#64 of 117 Old 02-28-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

i came down with labyrinthitis on monday - i can't knit - I can't see straight.
I'll catch up to you all as soon as the room stops spinning!
#65 of 117 Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 PM

I really need to finish a few things for others first, so i will probably start up in about a month....

However I am thinking I might go with Sahara with a cap sleeve for summer...I suppose that wouldn't make me part of this KAL, but I will still post how it goes if that is ok
#66 of 117 Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Ooh, Alaska you poor thing! Try to stay still and I hope you get better soon

2tolove- Hey, I'd love to see progress on something else too! It will probably take me ages to finish this, though.

Anyhow, I swatched in 9 and 8's- I figured since I knit tight the 9's would do the trick. I need 20 st/4", and I get 19 with the 9's and 21.5 with the 8's. So, the closest would be using the 9's but it will be a tad on the loose side, I prefer tighter looking stitches. So I'm unsure on what to cast on with or if I should do math (God no, not more math!!) to figure out how much I need to cast on with 21.5 sts/4".

But of course silly me didn't wash the swatches- I *think* cotton shrinks (it's machine washable yarn, 60% cotton, 40% modal), or does it stretch instead? I guess if it shrinks I can stick with my 9's and just go with the pattern. Any thoughts? I have major gauge-matching anxiety since I ended up with humongo socks once...
#67 of 117 Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 PM

I decided to go with the smaller needles- I washed the 2nd swatch and it stretched just a tad so I was just about on guage. I'm currently right where you seperate the sleeves and put it all on spare yarn to try on. Well, the armpit is a bit high on me, so I will add in a few more rows. Next time I try it on, instead of doing the purl row and joining the sleeves *then* putting it on scrap yarn, I will just put the sleeves on yarn without joining first and attach a longer circular wire so I don't need to throw the rest on scrap yarn too.

I'm currently picking out that purl row I did so I can add more rows in *sigh*. I also increased for the neckline every 6 rows instead of every 8 (but kept track of both so there was enough armpit increases) and then 5 times of neckline increasing every RS row along with armpit increases. This is to give a shorter neckline so I won't need to wear a shirt under to hide the boobs, and to give me more room to short-row the bust before having to do the waist. When I tried it on, the neckline looked good (and lotsa room for bust short-rows. Right where I would want it, but when I go to add the collar it will make it a bit smaller. So I think I won't join the neckline for a few more rows too, until the armpit is long enough.
#68 of 117 Old 03-02-2007, 06:57 PM

I took a pic if anyone wants to see how it looks so far. I am almost through my 3rd skein out of 10 in my MC....I think I might need to order more! I am also hesitant now about using that sunflower contrasting color, I don't know if it would be too much of a clash. Hmm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...u/yarn/SKB.jpg

ETA: You can see I still have one sleeve on scrap yarn- in the process of picking that last row out.
#69 of 117 Old 03-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Looks good Sasha!

I ended up getting the Caron simply soft to try out the pattern in. It has a sheen to it similar to the KP andean and for $9 total I couldnt argue too much LOL I got the skb and sahara pattern. I cant decide which one to do first but I think I will stick with the kal for skb and then do sahara afterwards.
#70 of 117 Old 03-04-2007, 05:59 PM

How is everyone's coming? I ended up putting in 15 short rows (eek, 15! my boobs don't look *that* big) for the bust. Tried it on and the front was just right and lined up with the back, only thing was the armpit area curved upwards about 1.5". It wasn't tight, but short there- I must have weird armpits since they don't like this pattern. So I added in short rows there to even it up, finally everything is just right and right below the bust and I decreased for the 7 stitch lace pattern.

However, I am very indecisive on if I should use the 2nd color for the lace part or not. I *think* it would look pretty okay for a spring/summer kind of thing, but I know I have horrid color sense and I'm afraid people would look at me like 'what is she wearing??'. Here's a pic of the top so far and a swatch in the 2nd color- what do you all think? Would it look okay or too clashy?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../SBKcolors.jpg
#71 of 117 Old 03-04-2007, 07:51 PM

I just swatched last night to see if I needed to get needles or not and I did so I got them today. I am hoping to cast on tonight!

Hmmm to me it looks like the MC is coral and the CC is a bright yellow, which I am not sure go together. My screen could be off but I would stay with the solid color, but *I* am not the one wearing the top I'm doing mine in a light lavender and am so glad the yarn is nice, cheap, but nice.
#72 of 117 Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 PM

Have you swatched for the smaller needles? It is practically impossible for me to get 28st/4" with that thickness of yarn, so I'm going with 24st/4". I figure since the 'waist' won't really be at my waist (more lower ribcage and I'm making the lace portion narrower before the preggo belly part) it will be okay in a bigger gauge.

Thanks for the input on the colors, I think I'll just stick with the MC for the whole thing. The colors from knitpicks' page (terra cotta and sunflower) were much more earthy and seemed like they would have worked together better. The pic I posted is a more accurate color.
#73 of 117 Old 03-04-2007, 10:15 PM

They do look more earthy and nice together on the Kp page. I hate when the color isnt accurate in real life.

I got guage spot on with 7's for the large part and 5's for the lace part. I was actually shocked as i rarely get guage on the rec needle sizes.
#74 of 117 Old 03-05-2007, 09:49 PM

Working on the lace portion now, but I will only make it 2" long or so. I only did one purl ridge too. Doing this lace with thick-ish yarn on little needles, plus being a tight knitter is killing my fingers! I'm going to get either a blister or a callous soon. I hope to post a pic of it actually being worn when I'm done with the lace section- hopefully tomorrow. Hope the rest of your SKB's are going well!

Oh, and I just have to say that I finally felt the baby move for the first time a couple minutes ago . Had to share!
#75 of 117 Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 AM

Here's a pic of it on if anyone wants to take a look: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...arn/Try-on.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the boob shaping, though you can see the short-row slant. And if you look close you can see a hole from where I must have missed a wrap in the armpit short-rows, but I don't want to frog just for that. I'll just put a purl ridge in before going back to the big needles. I think I will get quite a bit of room just from using large needles, and at 17 weeks I will still be growing a lot. I'll probably just space some short-rows out along the belly to prevent ride-up and as I get bigger and it will fit nicely without looking like I'm wearing a bag (I hope). There is also a bit of room for boob growth too.
#76 of 117 Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 AM

Ooooh that looks so nice Sasha! Congrats on feeling the baby move those were my favorite moments during my pregnancies.

I love the color on you and love your tatt, but I'm a tatt fiend
#77 of 117 Old 03-07-2007, 07:05 PM

ok, those of you that are using Shine from knitpicks - how are you liking knitting with it?

TIA!!
#78 of 117 Old 03-07-2007, 08:29 PM

It seems to have a tendancy to split between the plies a little more than I would like, but I just have to pay extra attention to when I slip the needle in. Other than that I like it- it's comfy and drapey (though a tad on the heavy side), and it has a nice sheen to it. Just be aware that the colors I see on my screen at the knitpicks site are not accurate to what I actually got- they are a bit brighter IRL.

ETA: And machine washable, which is a plus in my book .
#79 of 117 Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I love it so far birdiefu!
I think I'm recovering enough to knit...soon!
#80 of 117 Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM

I am thisclose to being able to cast on. I ignored my house most of the day yesterday to finish up some must do knitting. Hopefully by Friday I will be starting. I can't freaking wait!!
#81 of 117 Old 03-08-2007, 06:48 AM

Glad you are feeling better, Alaska! Can't wait to hear/see how the two of your SKBs are progressing. Mine isn't really according to pattern as there are many tweaks done to it, so I want to see a 'real' one!

Now that I'm done with the more challenging parts- making sure the neckline, armpits, boob, and lace is done well- I'm not looking forward to loads of stockinette. Ended up getting addicted to Diablo II again and only did like 3 rows yesterday .
#82 of 117 Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 PM

Ok, Ok I have my yarn on order and I will start Sahara in about a week....again, I know it's not the exact sweater, BUT I was inspired my you all SO I will add little updates in here if that is ok
#83 of 117 Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tolove View Post
Ok, Ok I have my yarn on order and I will start Sahara in about a week....again, I know it's not the exact sweater, BUT I was inspired my you all SO I will add little updates in here if that is ok
you won't be alone! i just got my order of the sahara kit yesterday. i splurged and got the tilli thomas as a birthday gift to myself. It is gorgeous! I'll be starting on it in a week or two hopefully.
#84 of 117 Old 03-09-2007, 01:56 PM

I will be purchasing SKB & Sahara this weekend. Still need to figure out what yarn I want to use but will be joining everyone eventually.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#85 of 117 Old 03-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Well being sick has been a good thing for my knitting I got to finish my other projects and started SKB last night. I am 4 rows from the join! I've already been charting in my head changes I am going to make to my SKB. No purl ridges, I am going to do a seed stitch instead and I think I am going to leave the lace off the arms and just seed stitch the cuffs, I like a shorter sleeve than the skb has with the lace on it. Plus I want to be done in time to wear it Wed when we are supposed to have near 70 temps Pics are posted in my blog
#86 of 117 Old 03-10-2007, 07:02 PM

TribeMomma- that looks great, and I love the color! I was thinking of seed stitch also, but I can only tolerating doing seed stitch so much (damn alternating K & P) and it would have driven me crazy on this project. You are a goddess if you get that done on Wed- I'm about halfway down the belly right now.

I just realized how stupid I was earlier . When I did short-rows on other projects, I just did them 'normally' but this time around I tried the unwrapped technique (pick the stitch out of the wrap, put it then the wrap back on the needle, knit together) thinking it would come out nicer. As I was doing this, I noticed that the short-rows ends were quite noticeable but just figured it was since I was using solid-colored yarn (used variegated or striped on my longies with s/r) and they showed up more. But no, just now I decided to try my usual way on one of the belly short-rows and *that* is practically invisible! No way will I frog to go back and redo them, but at least I know my original method worked best. It's kinda irritating as the boob ones are pretty noticable, but I think I can live with that.
#87 of 117 Old 03-10-2007, 11:27 PM

I don't mind the seed stitch detail, and I only did 4 rows vs 10 like the purl ridges would have called for. I tried it on tonight and love it so far! I am already past the lace and on my 3rd waist increase. After trying it on I decided no more increases I just don't need them. So now I have the daunting endless mile of stockinette stitch to get to the hem. I for sure think I'll be done tommorow or monday since I am still sick in bed.

I'm really surprised how fast this has been to knit. I love it! I am already planning my next one in a jeweled blue bamboo and maybe I'll put in the beads with it too
#88 of 117 Old 03-12-2007, 06:32 PM

I finished up the body, did the neckline and wove in all my ends. I just need to knit the sleeves up, but I only have about 1/2 a skien left : . I ordered some back-up about a week or so ago, I hope it gets in soon so I can finish!
#89 of 117 Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM

I got hit by knitters ADD and started knitting the very cropped top hoodie from last months magknits It only needs 1.5 sleeves and the hood to be done.

My skb I am just now to the hem, then I need to hem the sleeves and stitch the neckline, and weave in ends. My kids got sick so i didn't get much knitting time today.
#90 of 117 Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 PM

You go with your knitting ADD! I wish I had that problem- I can only do one project at a time and it's annoying sometimes, especially if it's a big project. Sorry your kiddos aren't feeling well- are you better at least?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page