Socks KAL... - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 200 Old 03-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as foolish as this sounds, if you just follow her instructions with the worsted weight using fingering/sock weight, you will end up with a toddler sock!
#182 of 200 Old 03-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonamon View Post
Is that the Lucy colorway? I have Obsidian & Puck's Mischief...the Obsidian is for dh...I swear it is...
Have you knitted the Puck's Mischief yet? I love the colors but I'd love even more to see it knitted up. Wanna take a picture for me? :

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#183 of 200 Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixielinds View Post
as foolish as this sounds, if you just follow her instructions with the worsted weight using fingering/sock weight, you will end up with a toddler sock!
that's cool! what size needle would I need, she is using 5's but with sock wieght it is usually smaller than that. thanks!
#184 of 200 Old 03-24-2007, 02:46 PM

Okay, so here and here is my failed silver's sock class sock. Please laugh, I did. I must have missed some of the decreasing for the foot, because it is really baggy. But, guess what I got for my birthday last night?? Pretty blue sock yarn to make Clessidra! I'm sure they will take me forever, but they are so cute! Now the question is, what do I do with that lovely green wool I bought to make my first socks? Now that I know the basics of sock knitting, I don't really want to make them with dk weight yarn. Any ideas? It's a heavenly soft superwash wool.

#185 of 200 Old 03-24-2007, 06:59 PM

I think I would go nuts trying to do this for the first time on ittybitty needles with sock yarn. I think you should try it first with the worsted.

Anyone wanna chime in on first toe-up real sock patterns? I want to do a normal pair of socks now too! (or do you think I should actually finish this pair first? )

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#186 of 200 Old 03-25-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
Okay, so here and here is my failed silver's sock class sock. Please laugh, I did. I must have missed some of the decreasing for the foot, because it is really baggy. But, guess what I got for my birthday last night?? Pretty blue sock yarn to make Clessidra! I'm sure they will take me forever, but they are so cute! Now the question is, what do I do with that lovely green wool I bought to make my first socks? Now that I know the basics of sock knitting, I don't really want to make them with dk weight yarn. Any ideas? It's a heavenly soft superwash wool.
I won't show you my first sock attempts -- I think I knit parts of about 6 socks before I ever knit an entire pair! It does look like you forgot to do the decreased for the gusset, but they look cozy! I'd just set the yarn aside for now. I bet you'll end up wanting to do a pair of "house socks" later on, or maybe a sweet little baby sweater... (and now I've spread the stashing bug on to another knitter...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
Have you knitted the Puck's Mischief yet? I love the colors but I'd love even more to see it knitted up. Wanna take a picture for me? :
Ooh, it is knitting up beautifully! I had to take a break from it (and put it on toothpicks ) so I could use my 1's to knit a pair of socks for my MIL's birthday (which is Monday so I'll never make it), but I'm excited to get back to them/it. I'll try to post a pic on my blog tomorrow. I'm woefully behind in posting FO & in progress knitting pics...
#187 of 200 Old 03-25-2007, 03:57 AM

i used a size 2 needle with fingering/sock weight yarn with a worsted weight pattern and they fit my tot perfect!
#188 of 200 Old 03-26-2007, 06:50 PM

I'm done!!

Wanting to do another pair, two one one circ but finding it difficult to find a pattern for that. I love the Clessidra on knitty and the Seduction socks, but can you use that method for those? Also, I'd need a bigger size on the Seduction, how to do that??

Fun, FUN!!
#189 of 200 Old 03-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Those look great, Lisa! You can use any needle method you want with any socks, I believe, it's just that different patterns give their instructions as to different stitch set-ups based on the needles the pattern writer used. If you can read the pattern & rearrange the stitches to the needle style/method you're using it's no problem.
#190 of 200 Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 PM

mine are finished and on my blog at http://joycevance.typepad.com

and there is a picture right here http://joycevance.typepad.com/joyce_...erina_feet.jpg
#191 of 200 Old 03-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
I'm done!!

Wanting to do another pair, two one one circ but finding it difficult to find a pattern for that. I love the Clessidra on knitty and the Seduction socks, but can you use that method for those? Also, I'd need a bigger size on the Seduction, how to do that??

Fun, FUN!!
I love the colors you chose for your socks. I have no advice about the different methods, but if you start knitting Clessidra, definitely post pics! I am almost ready to start a pair of them myself, though I am having trouble with my gauge. I posted about it here

#192 of 200 Old 03-26-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
As far as I know you can pretty much do two on two circs for any pattern, can't you? I do one on two circs and don't use DPNs at all. I'm doing Seduction right now and it seems to be a looser pattern than what it says for shoe size 6-8. I'm normally an 8 1/2 and my guage was spot on when I did my swatch before starting. I've slipped it on over my foot to test it out and its pretty loose (I'm about half way done with the foot part, a couple inches short of starting the toe.) I'm gonna end up giving them to my sister because they're gonna be too big for me. Not sure how big your feet are but I'd guess that the pattern is actually bigger because it does say in the intro paragraph that its meant as a "lounging" sock...

You could just cast on 8 add'l st. as its a pattern repeat of 8 OR if you think that would be too big I think you could do 4 extra st by adding a k1, RT, k1 at the beginning... but you'd want to check the pattern to make sure that's feasible, just my first guess that it would probably work because once you get to the foot part there are 4 "extra" st on top of the foot at the end of the row and thats a k1, RT, k1 so it would be symetrical if you did the same at the beginning.

Its a very pretty pattern and I've enjoyed doing it, but honestly, it takes a lot of brain work for me, its not a mindless sitting in front of the tv while talking on the phone and knitting all at once pattern!!
#193 of 200 Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 AM

Hedera from knitty is a nice easy knit. 4-row repeat that is easy to remember. Looks pretty impressive once it's done, but really not too hard.

Can you do 2 at once from the top down?

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#194 of 200 Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 AM

Oh nevermind on the brainless comment regarding the 2 circs. I was confused... looks like you were asking about the toe up on one circ, right?! In that case I'd think that any toe up pattern would be transferrable to the two at once method, right? I've never tried two at once, I have a hard enough time doing one at a time!
#195 of 200 Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 PM

I started a different sock!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCF0005.jpg

I got it in the March magic yarn ball swap from dandelions2. It is Yarn Love's Juliet in Cupid and Spring Green. I LOVE this yarn!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#196 of 200 Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 PM

#197 of 200 Old 03-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Gorgeous colorway and sock so far Aurora!
#198 of 200 Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM

Aurora! Haven't seen you in ages!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#199 of 200 Old 04-03-2007, 01:02 AM

Aurora -- love the colors!!

I finally finished mine. They aren't much to look at, but they're super comfy! I'm actually coveting my MILs -- they fit me perfectly if they're too small for her... *evil grins*

Pics in my blog!
#200 of 200 Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixielinds View Post
Gorgeous colorway and sock so far Aurora!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1980 View Post
Aurora! Haven't seen you in ages!
Hi back at you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonamon View Post
Aurora -- love the colors!!

I finally finished mine. They aren't much to look at, but they're super comfy! I'm actually coveting my MILs -- they fit me perfectly if they're too small for her... *evil grins*

Pics in my blog!
Thanks, I love your socks and your babe is just beautiful!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page