super beginner baby blanket crochet pattern - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I knit usually, but I am teaching myself to crochet. I think I am finally ready for something more than a strangely shaped bookmark creation. (I have some trouble with turning chains/counting my stitches from the hook LOL)

My husand's nephew and his fiancee are having a baby in May/June and I'd like to crochet them a baby blanket. A medium sized one and crazy easy....

Do I even need a pattern? Could I just chain whatever feels like a good width and then go for it in a chosen stitch? What size hook is best for baby blankets? Thanks in advance!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2007, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made an easy peasy one for my baby. I used Paton's Merino and I think a size I hook:
make a chain about 32-36" (not stretching, just laying it out) single crochet the first row. On the second row, sc (single crochet) ch 1 (chain 1) sk 1 (skip 1). Repeat across. On each row after, sc to first ch 1 space. sc in ch space, repeat pattern across, single crocheting in each chain space in the previous row and ch1, sk1 over each sc in the previous row. Continue until you have the desired size, about the same as the original lenght is good" about 30-36". Here's a picture of how it turned out. I did stripes, but you don't need to.
I also did 4 rows of sc around the edge when it was done to give it a finished look.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2007, 10:38 PM

One other easy option that is worked in rounds and does not require turning rows goes like this:
ch 6. ss (slip stitch) to join into a ring
In ring,ch 3, dc3, four times. ss last ch to first dc
ch 3 and turn.
dc 3 in ch sp, ch 3, dc 3 more in ch sp,
continue around. In each corner do 3dc, ch3, 3dc
in each ch 3 sp make 3 dc, and over each 3dc, ch 3. join each round and turn at the end of each round
It is essentially a granny square that keeps on growing. Here is a more professional idea of what i'm saying.
It comes out lovely, I promise. It might be better than the other for a girl or a spring baby.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 AM

This one is pretty easy and turns out beautifully in my opinion. You can use bright colors that pop to make some kind of color pattern. Add on a simple single crochet border [or if you want to learn another stitch, reverse single crochet aka crab stich (it's really just crocheting backwards)--easy but very professional looking] to give it a nice, quick finish.

Here's the pattern: http://crochet.about.com/gi/dynamic/.../vstbaby.shtml

The only stitches you need to know are single crochet and double crochet.

Reverse single crochet, if you're interested:
http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitche...reverse_sc.htm

Happy Crocheting!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#5 of 6 Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the help ladies! I'll try to post a picture of whatever end result I get.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 6 Old 03-05-2007, 02:57 AM

I have a round baby blanket in the pattern link in my signature. If you've ever crocheted a hat you can make it. Heck, even if you haven't you can make it. It just requires the ability to put two stitches in the same space, not exactly difficult.

However, there's an even easier technique that I used for a blanket for my middle DD. I just did four double-crochet panels (kinda like making a scarf, but wider; maybe fold a receiving blanket in half twice to figure out how wide, or just wing it like I did)--two each in pink & blue since I didn't know what I was having--then went around the edges in single crochet with white yarn, then sewed them all together. It made a much more complicated-looking blanket than it was to make.

There are actually a lot of possibilities. If you choose a wonderful yarn, just a basic stitch will work. If you have a plainer yarn, you can do one row of single crochet followed by a row of double, or a row of single, then half double, then double, then treble (or not) and repeat that. Very simple. Another very pretty stitch pattern is called track stitch. It's simply four rows of single crochet followed by one row of treble crochet. I just made a baby hat in with that stitch.

Honestly, though, I don't like making something the size of a blanket with single crochet unless I'm using a very large hook. Just takes too long for me. Then again, if you're used to knitting, you're more accustomed to building things with short stitches than I am.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page