Crochet vs. Knitting, what's the difference/ which one is easier to learn? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI,
Other than one vs. two needle to work, is there any other difference for the finished project? Could you tell if the thing was knitted or crocheted? Which one is easier to learn and make things in short time?
Mainly I want to make little things for my baby girl like kerchief, hat, flowers, and so on..
TIA

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#2 of 18 Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 AM

i'm completely new to knitting but have been crocheting for a while - i know both are pretty versatile, but i think its a little easier with crochet to do different frilly things like flowers and edges, etc... i also find that its easier for me with just the one hook to crochet, instead of two needles (at least) for knitting. I really like the thickness of knitted projects, but you can get that with crochet if you do a single crochet (i usually do double as it goes faster and looks more "delicate".... dont know if that helps at all!
#3 of 18 Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 PM

I don't know how to knit, and only know the most basic stitch in crochet, but I can tell you I definitely can tell a difference between something knitted vs crocheted. Maybe there are stitches in both that are identical looking, but not that I know of.

As I said, I can NOT knit, it was VERY hard for me to try and learn. But crocheting was much easier. I still only know a basic stitch, but I blame myself for not actually trying very hard.
#4 of 18 Old 03-09-2007, 11:34 PM

I only knit, but it seems like all the cute baby patterns I see in the fabric stores are for crochet. I've been able to find patterns on line, but for some reason, not so much in stores.
#5 of 18 Old 03-09-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
I only knit, but it seems like all the cute baby patterns I see in the fabric stores are for crochet. I've been able to find patterns on line, but for some reason, not so much in stores.
~laughs~ And I was thinking all the cute patterns I like are for knitting.
#6 of 18 Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 AM

IMO, it seems to run in families. I crochet because my great grandmother taught me to crochet. My aunt and grandmother also crochet. I have tried knitting but I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure my grandmother and aunt can knit but choose to crochet because they seem to prefer it. My friend, on the other hand comes from a family of knitters. I think it has a lot to do with just doing what you have seen or learned to do first.
#7 of 18 Old 03-10-2007, 03:50 AM

I don't think one is inherently easier than the other. Some people find one easier and other people find the other easier. Just as some people get music and others get art, or some people like math and others like reading.

Crochet is more of a visual and intuitive craft. It's good for people who like to just make stuff up and need to see where they are going.

Knitting is better for those who follow a pattern and like getting into a rhythm.

As a dyslexic I find crochet is much more me b/c I can't follow patterns and loose track of where I am.

There are many differences between crochet and knit. Knitting often takes less yarn, but crochet is usually faster. The items you make from these crafts have certain fundamental differences in how they drape and stretch. Generally knitting is smoother, stretchier, and thinner. Crochet tends to hold a shape and have more texture.

There are other options as well like loom knitting, which is very easy.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#8 of 18 Old 03-12-2007, 01:54 PM

Let me say right off: I'm biased like you would not believe towards knitting. If you don't believe me, please read on. I will try my best to be nice to crochet.
VISIBLE DIFF. :
That being said, there is a HUGE difference in the finished project as far as "was this crocheted or knitted?" I like the knit fabric better, but that's me. The point here is yes, you can tell the difference.

There is a different jargon/shorthand for both K or C. I have been knitting since I was about 7 or 8 (I'm 19 now). I find it is easier to learn as far as the stitches are very obvious. I can crochet (very basic), but I have trouble see the stitches- "is that the fourth or the fifth stitch?" kind of thing. I'm working on that.

ART, NOT SCIENCE:
I am a very DIY (do-it-yourself) person, and while I have used them, I DESPISE using patterns. I'm more of a the pattern is a guideline, but to follow it exactly... that would violate everything I stand for as a person. You can follow patterns exactly, or you can just say to heck with it. I recommend the former in the beginning, and the latter as soon as possible after that.
I also teach people K informally (they just see me knit and say "hey, teach me!" ). I like the old school feel- my mother taught me, and I can't wait to teach my kids (when I get married and have some, that is!). I have taught people who can crochet and it seems to be easier for someone who has C'ed to pick up K and vice versa. That's been my experience anyway.

TIME/SIZE:
You can make things (either K or C) as big or little as you want. I mean, you can K or C booties, and it takes roughly the same amount of yarn and there's not a lot of commitment involved as far as the time length. Or you can make a king-size blanket and K/C on it for two YEARS. True story.
It really just depends on the amount of time you can make for your new found love, either K or C. I take my projects to class since I don't have to look at it anymore (unless it's lace, etc. Then I'm constantly counting and correcting mistakes). Since you said you just want to make little things, once you get the hang of either K or C, you won't have to worry about working on a kerchief for years.

There are alot of similarities to both K and C. I will always be loyal to my first love (K) but I have lots of friends who only C and we'll sit and work on projects like little old ladies. It's totally up to you. If you decide to K, I think knitty.com has some really fun patterns.

You can see some of my stuff on my xanga: http://www.xanga.com/asoulunbound
Here's a few examples of my work (Shamelss, I know!):
http://x11.xanga.com/cffd4a1a0243410.../z74135953.jpg
http://xcb.xanga.com/0d4d5a11d713510.../z74135927.jpg

I wish you lived in Dallas so I could show you how! Good luck in your crafting... sorry about the essay.
#9 of 18 Old 03-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDoula View Post
IMO, it seems to run in families. I crochet because my great grandmother taught me to crochet. My aunt and grandmother also crochet. I have tried knitting but I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure my grandmother and aunt can knit but choose to crochet because they seem to prefer it. My friend, on the other hand comes from a family of knitters. I think it has a lot to do with just doing what you have seen or learned to do first.
I agree.

My Maternal Grandmother taught me to crochet when I was around 8 years old. I picked it up pretty fast (I hear), but didn't stick with it. I took a refresher class two years ago, and dug out some old crochet books, and I was back in business.

A few months ago, I took an intro to knitting class. I can't really state that it's "hard," but didn't find it exactly "easy" either. I totally agree that the one hook vs two needles came across pretty foreign to me. I do feel as though some have it "in them" for one over the other though. In regard to crocheting - I really love having that "free hand" off to the side opposed to working needles with both.

To answer the OP - Yes. One who knits/crochets can tell the difference between something that is knitted/crocheted. That's one of my favorite things about it - I find myself examining things made, and checking out the crochet stitch, then going home and making it myself.

I personally feel as though crochet works-up a lot faster compared to knitting. I've also heard this from fellow friends who knit and have knitted for a long time.

There are some great visual tutorial sites on the net - google it.
#10 of 18 Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 PM

I always heard that crocheting was harder to learn but I got it right away. Knitting however is still a prob. for me
#11 of 18 Old 12-04-2013, 10:11 PM

Can I revive this old thread without too many glares? Thinking of taking up one or the other here soon!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#12 of 18 Old 12-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

Can I revive this old thread without too many glares? Thinking of taking up one or the other here soon!

I think crocheting is easier to learn first and once you have that down, knitting is easy to pick up. I learned to crochet as a child and had a gf show me how to knit as an adult. I picked it up immediately but had to ignore how she was holding the yarn and wrapping it around the needle. Evidently there are two styles of knitting, European and Continental. One is more similar to crocheting so I naturally switched to doing it that way instead of how my friend was showing me. 

Crocheting is nice for beginners because you aren't keeping track of two needles, just one hook. There is only one live loop of yarn (stitch) so if the hook falls out, it's no big deal. With knitting, you have that whole row of loops going on at once and god forbid your needle slides out! Not a problem once you get good at it, but when you are first starting, it is a bit of a nightmare.

Someone up thread mentioned knitting requiring more of an ability to follow patterns. I find that once I absorbed the basics of knitting, I didn't need a pattern any more than with crochet. 

I prefer the finished product of knitting, especially because I knit for men and think crochet looks more feminine. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 18 Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 AM

So interesting. I so think crochet is a good start for me. Any ideas for good first projects?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#14 of 18 Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

So interesting. I so think crochet is a good start for me. Any ideas for good first projects?

I'd just try a scarf using a very plain yarn. It's ok if it has color variations. But you want a plain texture so you can see what you are doing. So no nubby or fuzzy yarns.

Or do a dishcloth (or wash cloth) using cotton. That will be smaller than a scarf and give you the practice of making sure you have the same number of stitches in each row.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#15 of 18 Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm a huge fan of bobwilson123 on YouTube

http://m.youtube.com/user/bobwilson123bobwilson123

Just find a simple scarf or something and follow along doing what she does. Pause as necessary, rewind if you have to. Just don't pronounce "crochet" like she does or I may have to scream!

Bring back the old MDC
#16 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 02:15 AM

I would say that I love to crochet. Crocheting is very easy and fast, but knitting is very difficult and slow. Most important, through crocheting you can make many patterns and designs very easily.

#17 of 18 Old 12-25-2013, 11:51 PM

I would say they both have their advantages, but recently I prefer crochet since it is much more versatile in my opinion. The major advantage I saw before I learned about slip stitch crochet was, that knitting generally produces softer, more flowing fabric. But with slipstitch crochet that advantage is gone. Ravelry has a group specifically for that type of crochet, and you can look through the pictures there and see, how it looks. You can do cables and lots of things that way.

Crochet allows you to make much more elaborate lace. You can create your own patterns much easier since you have just one active stich (most of the time anyway).

I am in love with freeform crochet, and although you can freeform knit as well, it tends to be boxy, because of the rows on the needles, where crochet lends itself easier to organic rounded forms that I like.

Good luck with your first and all other projects!

#18 of 18 Old 03-01-2014, 02:32 AM

In my opinion, crocheting is much easier than knitting because in crocheting you need only one needle and in knitting you need 2 or more needles at a time. So, my vote is going to crochet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page