Non-wool sock yarn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hoped that some of you experienced sock knitters could tell me if there is any decent alternative to wool for knitting socks.

I am vegetarian, and have been using other fibers for my knitting, but it seems that acrylic yarn would make for very stinky feet, and cotton just doesn't have much give.

What about yarns like bamboo, hemp, banana fiber...?? Has anyone tried any of these? I have yet to knit with them, so don't know how they would be for socks.

Any ideas appreciated! I am currently knitting some toddler socks with some cheap-o acrylic yarn just to get the hang of it!

Thanks,
winn

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#2 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 03:52 PM

yes, there are...I'm trying to track them down for you. Here's an article that might interest you. http://knittingcrochet.suite101.com/.../veganknitting

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#3 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM

also...http://knitty.com/blog/

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#4 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 03:56 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=ase_knitty-20

still researching the sock yarn for you.

rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#5 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 03:57 PM

I just bought some soy yarn but I can't remember if it has wool with it or not. I have not used it yet but I plan to make socks with it. I have also made socks with hemp yarn and they were a little stiff at first but that could be because I knit tight. I also have a n organic cotton that I have. As you can see I am a yarn junky I have noticed that yarn stores are carrying more organic, non wool yarns I have even seen recycled yarns which are beautiful. Anyway I hope this has helped.
#6 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM

here's one... http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=814
this is ridiculous. I was sure there was another 1 or 2 kinds...

rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#7 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 04:08 PM

ha! here's a pertinent blog entry. I guess, like she says, that fortissima I posted is pretty well the extend of it. When I get better at spinning finer yarns, I will have to make some for you.

rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#8 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 04:11 PM

one other thought...you might try digging through the baby yarns at your lys. they're not sock yarns, but you can get some finer sport-weight cotton, bamboo, and hemp blends that would make nice socks. not as fine or specialized as sock yarns, but it would still make a nice sock.
HTH.

rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#9 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 04:21 PM

you could also use size 3 crochet thread (the smaller number indicates thicker thread), like DMC's Senso or Baroque. I've used the Senso to crochet baby socks, and now that I think of it, it is about the same weight as the sock yarn I'm using now. It would probably knit up on 0's or 1's. I'm really glad I thought of that! You won't have the color selection, but you can just pop over to Hobby Lobby or Joann's or wherever to find some thicker cotton crochet thread.

rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#10 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Cascade Fixation is 98.3% cotton , 1.7% elastic.
#11 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 PM

I like using Classic Elite Star yarn for socks - it's cotton/lycra. It's a neat "bumpy" yarn, so you won't get smooth socks, but they're nice and cushy and stretchy!
#12 of 13 Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the responses to all! And thanks for all your detective work, Lila. I've never seen the blog on knitty, I bookmarked it! I've seen the book that she wrote, but it's nice to see her blog.

We are going on a road trip to MN in a couple weeks, and I'm going to visit Depth of Field Yarns, and apparently they carry Cascade Fixation, so I think I will hold off on buying online and check that out! Thank you for that recommendation. In the meantime I may just buy some crochet thread and make more toddler socks.

Thanks again,
winn

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#13 of 13 Old 03-08-2007, 05:55 AM

I'm allergic to wool myself so I'm always on the hunt for inexpensive non-wool sock yarn. I've never knitted a sock but I'm keen to try, but I don't want to spend a small fortune as an experiment, you know?

So far all I've ever come up with on searching is the Cascade Fixation and the Bernat Sox, neither of which I've found locally and so far I haven't felt like paying online shipping charges. Bummer.

http://findinggaia.com - a novel about romance, shifting gender politics, and environmentalism

http://eat-the-evidence.com

http://kimberlychapman.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page