Making a wedding invitation... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-29-2003, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some help putting together our wedding invitations.

I found 100% recycled paper, acid-free, cardstock, blank cards and envelopes. I'm using these for the "Save the date" cards.

I know what I want them to say - they don't include that much information...but I need a format and decoration idea.

The wedding is going to be a fairy tale theme. The girls picked it...and it seemed appropriate since my dress is sort of a princessy-renaissance dress...plus, we're going to Disney World (surprise to the girls) for our "familymoon".

For the actual wedding invitations, we're using a photo of Cinderella's castle at night. It's blue in the background and the castle is more of a silhouette. I want to put a sheer white vellum overlay and tie it with something?? Maybe a silver ribbon with a little silver star charm dangling down?

Any ideas for either one?

Also, how should I "finish" the edge of the vellum? Can I just cut it to size and lay it over the picture?

Where would I put the response card if using a single-layer invitation like that? Just in the envelope? What should the response card look like to coordinate with the invitation?

Thanks!!
#2 of 6 Old 05-29-2003, 11:02 PM

To attach the vellum I'd use a paper punch and punch two holes at the top of your card about an inch apart or more depending on the size of your card. use a small piece of ribbon and put the ends in the holes (towards the back) cross in the back and then pull them back thru the holes so the ends are sticking out the front (hope that makes sense) This will give you a nice ribbon look but without having to spend the time tying bows. You can still hang a charm too if you want.
I'd use some of the decorator edged scissors for the edges of the vellum-it would look really sharp with the vellum edge scalloped or wavy on the edge of your solid paper. These are cheap in the scrapbooking sections.
I'd just add the response card in the envelope with nothing fancy-it all just falls out when they open it anyway
Sounds wonderful-good luck!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#3 of 6 Old 06-04-2003, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yes! Great idea - the shaped scissors. That's exactly what I need. Thanks!!

We're going to do some trial runs with the invitations soon, so I'll let you know how they turn out.

The "Save the date" cards are done (as of today). I found an art site that had original Disney sketches for sale on it. I right clicked a sketch of Tinkerbell and tweaked her a bit in my art software so that she was black and white (and very small).

I have the phrase "When You Wish Upon a Star" in an arc above Tink, with a star above it. Beneath that is the information, then a note that a formal invitation will follow.

I hand glittered (with ultrafine silver glitter) the star, Tink's wings, the puffs on her shoes, and little specks to look like stars all over the background. I think they look pretty cute.
#4 of 6 Old 06-05-2003, 08:27 AM

Neat! You might try looking in scrapbook sections at craft stores..they have all sorts of stuff for making cards and things...

I was at Michaels the other day and they had lots of charms for cards...and the fancy scissors..

Not all those who wander are lost 
#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2003, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

That's precisely what I was thinking - Michael's.

Plus, they have that 40% off coupon every week in the paper, so If I buy one item at a time, I'll be saving a bundle.

Those charms are SOOOO cute!!!

We ordered birth announcements from Stork Avenue that had a vellum overlay with a gold heart dangle and they were beautiful!
#6 of 6 Old 06-06-2003, 05:11 PM

This may be too delayed of a response ... but just incase ...

You might browse some Martha Stewart Weddings magazines, even at the bookstore, for ideas. I'm not sure how much is online. We used Emily Post's Etiquette for information on related queries.

I just finished doing the whole shebang for my sister's wedding. We did:
wedding invitation
order of service
place cards
menu
party favors
party invitation (reception is 2 mos. after wedding)
including ... RSVP, labels, and directions

For the party invitations, we put the invitation, followed by the RSVP (card tucked under the return envelope flap), followed by the driving directions.

We actually used sewing to bind the vellum and whatnot together. We considered including the driving directions as a tear-out from the invitation but decided to keep it separate.

It's a lot of work but oh so fun.

I've also used clear glue and grommets to attach vellum to cards. They make eyelets, too, but that'd be more work than punching and then using ribbon. There are all kinds of ribbon and rafia. Even at the fabric store, you could look at decorative (drawing a blank on the word ... edging? finishers? there's a whole section of them, usually, for use on dresses and pillows and whatnot). One idea I'm working on is to use a fringe to decorate the card (also sewn on). That'd be too much for yours, but you might find something that works for you there. You could attach it by sewing on buttons (use a hole punch for sewing it through), too.

I hope I've given you a little something to start with! Enjoy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page