Newbie here...Do I have my bases covered? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm attempting my first diaper tomorrow...I don't have any PUL, but I want to try to make some w/o it so I can get the hang of it before I spend any money. However, I'd still like them to work as daytime diapers (DS isn't a very heavy wetter). I'm still debating whether I should make AIOs or pockets (my sewing skills are pretty minimal..I know the basics, just don't have a lot of experience).

#1) I know that if a diaper isn't an AIO then you usually need a cover...so what's the point of the diaper being made out of cute fabric if you don't see it? (This isn't a really pertinent question, I've just always wondered. )

#2) I'm going to try to make a fleece outer...but what kind of fleece should I use? I have a North Face microfleece sweatshirt that's very thin, a fleece blanket (very waterproof/resistant, thicker but not super thick), and some VERY thing fleece from JoAnn's (but I dunno if it's the no-pill stuff...) I also have a wooly-er fleece (like an artificial sherpa?). Which would you use?

#3) I've read all the links, have a pattern picked out, etc...I just need to actually DO it now. So, any recommendations on what type of elastic, velcro, etc to buy? Do I need any special thread or needles or anything? I'm going to the fabric store tomorrow to buy any loose ends I need
#2 of 3 Old 03-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikally View Post
#1) I know that if a diaper isn't an AIO then you usually need a cover...so what's the point of the diaper being made out of cute fabric if you don't see it? (This isn't a really pertinent question, I've just always wondered. )
)

I just think it makes CD more fun to have a variety of prints inside and out. As the babies get older they like to pick out their dipes and it is really fun to be able to offer them a dipe with their favorite characters on it. If they have older siblings then they really enjoy picking out things for the baby too. I got some pul in the mail yesterday to make dipes for our new baby and my four year old was so excited over the Clifford, Monsters Inc and other prints I had ordered. Any scraps makes diapers for her babies. I get bored easily so like to work with lots of different things.

As far as notions and fabrics go start by buying just a little of everything you are interested in and try a few dipes with it or even make baby wipes so you get a feel for how the fabric performs and how you like sewing it. One experienced mom told me her needle sizes but my machine needed something entirely different.

I learned by buying diaper kits first. The link is in the sticky on top of the forum.
#3 of 3 Old 03-31-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:

To make diaper changes more fun! Plus to help use fabric when you have a fabric addiction. You can also go coverless in fitted diapers around the house, so you can admire their rears at home all day long!!!

Quote:
#2) I'm going to try to make a fleece outer...but what kind of fleece should I use? I have a North Face microfleece sweatshirt that's very thin, a fleece blanket (very waterproof/resistant, thicker but not super thick), and some VERY thing fleece from JoAnn's (but I dunno if it's the no-pill stuff...) I also have a wooly-er fleece (like an artificial sherpa?). Which would you use?
Amy 100% poly fleece works as a water-resistant layer. Breathe through the fabric, if it is easy to get the air through it is a fine day cover, if you meet some resistance it is a good night cover. The faux minkee with a knitted poly backing at fabric stores makes excellent night covers, and any cheaper fleece from Walmart or fabric stores make great day covers (for a wonderful night cover just add a layer of microfleece from Joann's). Any fleece can get compression wicking if the diaper is soaked and the baby is asleep or in the car for long trips. But as long as you put it over a decent diaper fleece makes the perfect breathable cover. My absolute favorite cover is using fleece for the Wee Weka knickers and making adorable pull-on shorts. You can also use old 100% wool or even acrylic sweaters for this cover. http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/im...a_Knickers.pdf If you want pics or info on this pattern just PM me! They are like the Luxe covers without the high cut look of underwear. I prefer using thinner to medium fleece since I don't want a hugely bulky diaper.

Quote:
#3) I've read all the links, have a pattern picked out, etc...I just need to actually DO it now. So, any recommendations on what type of elastic, velcro, etc to buy? Do I need any special thread or needles or anything? I'm going to the fabric store tomorrow to buy any loose ends I need

What pattern are you using? I can tell you that www.darlingdiaper.com patterns are the best since they tell you EXACTLY everything you need to buy and has tons of pics and options. I love either the pocket or AIO pattern, and both can be adapted to pockets or AIOs or even covers. The WAHM is super nice and will help you out. I prefer these to any free patterns since I need something idiot-proof. I prefer sewing pockets since they are so fast to sew compared to AIO's, cheaper to make, can stuff with as much as you want, and easy wash and dry. I prefer cotton inners since they are cooler and don't get buildup. I like using sherpa, velour (back this with flannel or something or it is a PITA to sew with), flannel, or cotton interlock inners. Just be sure to cut the outer a bit bigger around the leg elastic and sew the elastic on the outer side so the legs will roll in. I use 100% poly thread to prevent wicking, and I love Stetchrite elastic, usually the knit. Order Aplix (velcro) online, it is super cheap and so much better. I order from www.diapercuts.com or www.sewzannes.com . I use ballpoint needles, but I think that is only necessary if you sew with PUL, which I hate! Don't hesitate to PM me with any questions since I have been sewing tons of diapers/covers and can tell you what NOT to do!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page