making pocket diapers not cost-effective? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really think it would be empowering and, well, fun to make pocket diapers for my coming babe. However, I really prefer snaps over hook-and-loop fastenings, and I don't have a snap press. There is no PUL fabric near me, so I'd have to pay shipping and probably exchange to the US. Same with microfleece.
Still, I know it would cost less to make my own than buy FBs, which we love, but we are not planning on having any more babies, and so will not use them again. FBs have a very high resale value, and I don't think I could sell my own dipes for much. Do you really think it's still worth making my own in the financial sense, aside from an personal enjoyment I might get out of making them?

4 kids under 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 10:59 PM

It can cost tons more to make your own, esp. if you are only going to diaper one child. I think it has something to do with the addiction. You end up buying way more material than you will ever need and you will make way too many diapers!

I think it can save you money, but most of the gals I know who sew don't really do it to save the money but because they get the personal satisfaction of making exactly what they want. I know I have spent much more than I would have if I had not sewn. But I would not go back for anything!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:18 AM

Ummm, yeah....I initially sold dh on cds and making them because it was supposed to save us $....not sure that ever really happened. However, I have friends who use 'sposies, and they spend about $60 a month on diapers and wipes, so I guess when I look at it that way...Maybe you could make fleece pockets? And just get fleece from the regular fabric store? If you have a Hancock's near you, they are going out of business, so probably good prices. Otherwise, if you have a Jo-Anns, you can sign up to get their mailer and get a 40% off coupon. HTH
Old 04-08-2007, 04:45 AM

I think it really depends on how cheaply you can get your supplies. Also if you already have pfs for thestuffers that will save a ton of money. To justify the cost of fabric I look at what I would spend on 'sposies, add what I would spend on a different hobby like scrapbooking, multiply it by the enjoyment I get every time I put something cute and functional that I made on my favorite little tushie and it is 100 times more than what I spent on the supplies
Old 04-08-2007, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
Ummm, yeah....I initially sold dh on cds and making them because it was supposed to save us $....not sure that ever really happened. However, I have friends who use 'sposies, and they spend about $60 a month on diapers and wipes, so I guess when I look at it that way...Maybe you could make fleece pockets? And just get fleece from the regular fabric store? If you have a Hancock's near you, they are going out of business, so probably good prices. Otherwise, if you have a Jo-Anns, you can sign up to get their mailer and get a 40% off coupon. HTH
No such thing as Hancocks or JoAnns around here--never even heard of them.

I find that quite often MDCers make recommendations like these that I can't follow because I live in another country that doesn't actually have the same stores. And, I'm a sewer, and have not been able to find the fabric I would need at any local fabric shop.

4 kids under 10
Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I asked! It sounds like it is more expensive to make, especially considering the resale value issue. I wouldn't enjoy making them enough to spend more than necessary. And I love FB!

4 kids under 10
Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM

Where are you? You can probably find some local resources that might save on the shipping.

Honestly I think you can make them a lot more cheaply than bought ones, but it depends on what you're making (expensive very cute dipes with expensive fabric, vs just the basics). And it is true that I (don't believe at least) that the ones you make have a great resale value.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:42 PM

I really think you can make them for less, but you have to know what you want before you start and limit yourself to what you will actually use. Buying fabric is addictive! There are some wonderful coops that can set you up with everything you need for a good price, and if you have it all shipped at once, the shipping will be reasonable. They ship internationally all the time, and will charge you actual shipping. If you're outside the US, you're going to pay mega shipping on dipes.

You could, for example, buy pul for outers for <$5/yd, plush microfiber for FABULOUS stuffers for $10 / yd, and some lovely raw silk or microfleece for inners for <$4 per yd. I suggest doing testers with cheapo fabric, though, until you get the fit you want. It's a shame to use your good stuff on unusable dipes.

By the way, it's gotten more difficult to sell used dipes. Ebay won't allow it any more.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:46 PM

sanguine-speed, where are you? Do you have any fabric stores near you? I'm just talking about regular old fleece. Nothing fancy. You can order nicer stuff from online, but it is more expensive. Same with PUL. HTH
Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen95 View Post
If you're outside the US, you're going to pay mega shipping on dipes.

We have a store here that sells them so I don't have to pay shipping. Plus several Canadian businesses. It's just harder to buy supplies to make my own here.

4 kids under 10
Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
sanguine-speed, where are you? Do you have any fabric stores near you? I'm just talking about regular old fleece. Nothing fancy. You can order nicer stuff from online, but it is more expensive. Same with PUL. HTH
They sell some fleece, but NO PUL. Believe me, I've tried. I may be able to find PUL at stores in other cities, but I live in the 4th largest city in the country and have called each and every one. Some of them don't even know what PUL is.

4 kids under 10
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM

PUL is nice because it is the only stuff that makes a diaper waterproof, but it is not breathable at all and hot as heck in the summer. How about buying a few PUL pockets for nighttime and/or cartrips to town/times you need to be assured there will be no wicking, and then make cheap fleece outer pockets/flannel inner pockets for home (also for nighttime). That way you will have your "dependable" diapers when you need them, but you will also save money because you can buy everything but the closures for the fleece pockets at any fabric stores for cheap and they work so nicely for home use.

And aplix is super cheap. $1/yard and a few dollars will make a huge stash of diapers. If you order from Sewzannes.com you can only pay $4.05 for shipping for notions.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Sewing dipes is WAY cheaper than buying them and to not end up with a ton of fabric, just buy diaper cuts (just enough fabric for one dipe for about $3) for your PUL and yardage for microfleece. I buy from www.acutabovefabrics.com and can make 6 dipes from 1 yard of microfleece ($10) and six diapercuts ($3.50 x 6 = $21) along with aplix and thread and even shipping (say shipping is $10) it will cost about $50. The real expense is time, but you get better as you go. I doubt you will find any FB's on the web that cost 6 for $50 more like 6 for $100! Of course, if you don't mind all of your dipes being the same color you can make six pockets out of 1 whole yard of PUL ($10) instead of the diapercuts and save even more, but that's kinda boring .

Funny, I just started a thread on cheap snaps... and I think this will be your problem. If you want a snap press, dies and plastic snaps, like FB's have, sewing your own will be more expensive and you're probably better off buying them. At least you will save a little if you buy in quantity! Good luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the guidance! I am not going to make my own diapers. The biggest reason is I know that I can resell FB even locally for a lot more--ultimately I might save a few dollars, but maybe not. I am a WOHM and I don't have a lot of extra time, and the time I do have I like to spend knitting. Thanks for helping me clarify this for myself.

4 kids under 10
Old 04-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the info on acutabovefabrics. I am going to start making my own,but didn't know you could order precut PUL. The prints are super fun and cute! I can't wait!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:52 PM

If you are in Canada www.wazoodle.com has lots of great diapering fabrics. They are sold out of PUL right now, though..

Marie- Mom to David- c/s 2/1/03, Andrew VBAC 2/13/06 and Ashee unplanned unassisted homebirth 10/10/09

User Tag List