Waldorf doll hair help- Please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello. Despite reading many helpful messages here regarding Waldorf doll hair, I still seem to be having trouble with mine. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it.

I have been working on a doll from a Weir Dolls kit. I followed their instructions for the long hair- I won't go into details- but basically here is what I did:

1. Wrap yarn around cardboard, cut one end, open yarn strands up, sew down the middle with sewing machine. Do this again using slightly less yarn.

2. Fold hair along sewing line and sew to doll's head from ear to ear, along back of head. Tack down at base of neck.

3. Fold other, larger hair along sewing line and sew to doll's head along front hairline from ear to ear. Sew hair down along back, following the line of sewing from the first hairpeice.

I hope that makes sense. I realized afterwards that I could see the head through the hair and I hadn't made a crochet cap to put underneath, so I fudged it by sewing some of the (boucle) yarn in a spiral onto the head underneath where the upper layer of hair was going to go. This looks OK now, but the hair is still not as thick as I would like it. My doll looks like she is going bald!

So, I was thinking of sewing individual loops of yarn onto the head, underneath the upper hair peice that is already attached to the top of the head. I would also sew some onto the lower hair piece that is already tacked in place.

Does this sound like it might work? I am afraid if I attempt to remove everything I've done, I'll have holes in my doll's head and I will weaken it when I sew it all on again. Also, a crochet cap is just not going to happen this time around- I don't have time. I am just worried if I start adding pieces of hair on, it's going to look really weird and not "natural"- like real hair.

Any suggestions, without starting over??

Thank you so much; this is for my daughter Emmy's birthday and I know she'll love it.
#2 of 7 Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 PM

You can sew individual loops of yarn to the head to fill in, no problem. Just be sure that you stitch each loop down tight. The hair gets a lot of loving! I always think about skipping the cap because it seems to take so much extra time, but for the reason you describe, it's worth it!
#3 of 7 Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice. I actually made the entire hair twice, and stitched the second on top of the first. Used up a lot of yarn, but I got the fullness I wanted. I just finished the "cuddle baby" that I am making to go with the mommy doll, and I crocheted the hair for that one. It was much easier than I thought, and I'll definitely do that NEXT time to put under the doll hair!

Thanks again.
#4 of 7 Old 04-19-2007, 11:33 AM

I made several layers of the hair strips you discuss. I sewed one around the front of the head for bangs. Then i sewed one along the part line and down along the head around the neckand face. then added a second layer and sewed down half way down the scalp. Like rings around the back of the head. then the third layer I only sewed down the part along the center. and left the rest free.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2957/pict0459rl6.jpg

Sorry I don't have more details of the under lying layers.
#5 of 7 Old 04-19-2007, 12:24 PM

I was going to ask how you did that when I saw the pic of your sweet doll! What kind of yarn did you use?
#6 of 7 Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 AM

Baby yarn from walmart.

I didn't like the wool mohair for this one and the wool yarn cost too much
#7 of 7 Old 04-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza4 View Post
Baby yarn from walmart.

I didn't like the wool mohair for this one and the wool yarn cost too much
Cotton or acrylic?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page