Diaperkit diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies. I'm expecting my 2nd baby in June and I'm wanting to CD this time. I like the idea of using AIOs best but I want to use the lay in soakers with them. (I guess it's kind of a mix between an AIO and a fitted) What kits would be best to use from Diaperkits.com? I see a few different options on the fabrics. I was just wondering what you would suggest seeing how I'm very new to this! I only just recently realized there was such a thing as an AIO or I would have cloth diapered my daughter! I thought CDing was still using the prefolds and pins with the awful plastic pants on top!!! Nothing but leaks and headaches!:
#2 of 13 Old 04-15-2007, 02:08 PM

Brittney I don't have any experience with the site you posted but it sounds like you may be interested in AI2 (all in two) diapers? Maybe that will help in your pattern search (I hope!)

Erin, mom to a 9 month old boy

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#3 of 13 Old 04-15-2007, 07:16 PM

The basic AIO would work as you can do an external soaker as would the pocket AIO kits. Amber is a friend of mine on another board and is such a wonderful mama. She will help you out with any questions you might have. If you are looking for more diaper sewing info in general come check out
http://diaperdivas.proboards57.com/index.cgi
There are so many amazing women over there who are more than happy to answer any question! Even if it seems silly to you LOL.
#4 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 06:07 PM

It looks like the AIO Pocket Diaper kit might be what you are looking for - there's an AI2 option. I ordered from diaperkit.com and made my very first CD with those kits. The instructions were great, and it was a good way to get my feet wet. Since then I've made 20 fitteds and 6 covers from various patterns. My baby is due in a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure which patterns will work best! I've used Chloe Toes, Honey Boy and Poo Pockets. All of these patterns have many options - AIOs, pocket AIOs, AI2s, fitteds, doublers, soakers, etc. Good luck!
Cyndie
#5 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I'm going to order some of the AIO kits from diaperkit.com. They have some that are inexpensive and will work well for me right now. I'm not sure how many I'm going to order to start with yet. I have so much going on trying to get ready for this baby. There's way too much to do and I don't know where the time went!!! Oh yeah... I'm wanting to make cloth wipes and doublers myself also. I thought about asking hubby for a serger as a mother's day gift. Will this really make it easier or is it not worth the cost? And for cloth wipes do you prefer one or two layer wipes?
#6 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 PM

I don't have a serger but I wish I did. For wipes I do 2 layers and put flannel on one side and baby terry on the other, the terry really grabs onto nb poop instead of smearing it around
#7 of 13 Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl b. View Post
I don't have a serger but I wish I did. For wipes I do 2 layers and put flannel on one side and baby terry on the other, the terry really grabs onto nb poop instead of smearing it around
Good to know!
#8 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
Thanks ladies. I'm going to order some of the AIO kits from diaperkit.com. They have some that are inexpensive and will work well for me right now. I'm not sure how many I'm going to order to start with yet. I have so much going on trying to get ready for this baby. There's way too much to do and I don't know where the time went!!! Oh yeah... I'm wanting to make cloth wipes and doublers myself also. I thought about asking hubby for a serger as a mother's day gift. Will this really make it easier or is it not worth the cost? And for cloth wipes do you prefer one or two layer wipes?
I don't have a serger but would love one for multiple sewing projects. I think it would really help with the doublers. I made one and it was so hard to turn and topstitch. But I am a newbie and haven't finished my first dipe yet.

I have 2 types of wipes, both homemade. My mom serged some flannel and terry and those work great. But my favorite are one layer of cotton velour that I cut up and just zig zagged. I found for a newborn bum, the terry we used (not the best quality, it was from an old robe my Mom had made for my brother, cut up) was a little too rough. The velour is nice and gentle but still gets the bum clean. I do use both wipes though. Also, when my kissaluvs went crunchy, I started using the velour wipes as liners...I am making some diapers from the velour too.

HTH
#9 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
. I thought about asking hubby for a serger as a mother's day gift. Will this really make it easier or is it not worth the cost? And for cloth wipes do you prefer one or two layer wipes?
Ask for some serger lessons too. I had to teach myself and it was not fun. It would have been nice to have had at least one lesson. I have a serger with lots of attachments and I never use any of them.

I prefer double sided wipes of different materials and textures. I use something soft on one side and textured on the other. I also like to make them a little on the big side, about 8X10 so I can get it all without reaching for a second wipe.
#10 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 01:44 PM

I have a serger and I love it! (I sew a lot of my own clothes too, so I already had one before deciding to sew CDs.) I use my serger ALL THE TIME, way more than I ever thought I would! Serging soakers/doublers/wipes is definitely much faster than sewing them, but it might not be worth it to buy one just for that. Would you use it for anything else other than cloth diapers? If not, do you have any friends/family that could loan you one for a couple of weeks?

I'm like you - trying to get stuff ready for baby, due in a few weeks.

I made double sided wipes - a variety using flannel scraps, cotton knit terry and cotton velour. No baby to test them on yet though!
#11 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I think I probably would use one a good bit if I had it. I'm trying to convert my house to be more organized and natural. I'm hoping to make for baby and me: cloth diapers, wipes, doublers, wet bags, pail liners, ring sling, and breast pads. I'm also thinking about making cloth dryer sheets, napkins and kitchen towels, and maybe even some family cloth I've been reading about (only for pee though and for DD who is about to be potty training although this will be after I've finished everything else. I want to make some training pants for her too. This is going to have to be done a little at a time though. I just bought some supplies to make homemade household cleaners and detergent. Tomorrow I'm starting cooking for OAMC I want to freeze for postpartum. : What have I gotten myself into!!! All this when I'm trying to clean out my house and downsize big time!!! A lot of work now but it'll save time and money in the long run.
#12 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 PM

How do you make cloth dryer sheets?
#13 of 13 Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

I just make a square out of flannel or some other type of fabric and zig zag around the edge (maybe serged once I get the serger!). Basically the same as you would for a cloth wipe. Then put a few drops of essential oil on the cloth and throw in the dryer. Works just as good as the dryer sheets and much cheaper!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page