Wool Yarn and Knitting Pattern Sources - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-10-2003, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm a regular lurker on some forums here ... I'm sure you will have good sources for yarn and patterns.

Online Yarn Sources - I'm somewhat new to knitting and need help knowing what yarn to buy. I'm looking for a good source of nice yarn to use for some of my ideas below. The yarn can be plain cream because I'll dye it. I have only one source locally and it is expensive I think.

Pattern Needs - diaper cover/soaker, felted carry-everything purse/bag, summer baby hat. I wish I could find somewhere that reviewed patterns before I buy - I'm not experienced enough to figure out that a pattern is bad and I need clear, explicit directions.

Any input??
#2 of 4 Old 06-10-2003, 03:01 PM

I bought the LTK soaker pattern and am using Lions Brand Fisherman wool yarn for it. I got the yarn at Hancock fabrics for $10. Which I thought was a lot back when I bought it but after visiting a yarn store to buy some yarn to make a sweater I think that was a pretty good price!

For the other items you want to make, maybe you can find some books at your public library? I have been finding some great books through the library and am planning to buy a couple to keep, but if there's just one pattern you want from a book you could photocopy it, that way you don't have to spend a lot of money on a pattern that you end up not liking.

And as for yarn, I'm sure there are a lot more experienced knitters out there who could offer better solutions but you could probably get a good deal on yarn on Ebay and there's a site I've been eyeing www.nakedsheep.com that seems to have decent prices and free shipping. I've never ordered anything from there yet though.

But if you choose patterns first you will probably have a better idea of what weight/type of yarn you need.

HTH!

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#3 of 4 Old 06-19-2003, 03:41 AM

I found an online yarn source that's cheap!

http://www.smileysyarns.com

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#4 of 4 Old 06-24-2003, 11:42 AM

I really like the Debbie Bliss patterns and yarns. Especially the baby cashmerino! I have found some good prices on E-Bay if you don't have a local shop that carries it. I found Debbie Bliss books at the library.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page