No sew tutu - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 05-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I assume over time the ribbons would begin to fray.

I bet you could do a "grass skirt" using strips of green felt using this same idea...

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#32 of 44 Old 05-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska View Post
...You can use a woman's headband - the stretchy fabric kind - I used one made by Goody - as the waist band...

They had these at the dollar store last night. I bought 2 sets (6 bands in each). I really want to make these! So so cute.

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs
#33 of 44 Old 05-25-2007, 05:26 PM

Oh how I wish ds was a girl.......but DH would kill me if I made one for him....lol
#34 of 44 Old 05-28-2007, 06:09 PM

I have been really into making tutus lately. I like to use non-roll elastic. I measure the waist and sew the elastic just a bit smaller than the waist. Or if you are really lazy you can secure with a small safety pin.

I measure down to the knee (or however long you want it) and cut out tulle twice the length. I like to use rolls of 6" tulle. Use tape on the table or counter to mark down the length. Using a rotary cutter will make the ends nice and straight but using scissors also works. Or for times when I am truly lazy, I just wrap the tulle around cardboard, a book, etc that is the proper length, and then just cut all pieces at the same time. The edges will be a little more ragged but the kids won't notice.

Tie the ribbon around the elastic using a larks head knot. Someone posted a good link earlier. Otherwise here is a technical website. http://www.ehow.com/how_13480_make-larks-head.html

If you want to add ribbons, I find that satin works really well. You can always use a lighter really quick on the tips to prevent fraying. Or you can try clear nail polish.

Here are a few that I have made.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26..._line_item.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...5/DSCN9167.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...hy25/sears.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...5/IMG_4034.jpg (this one was a gift but I used my son to measure the size)
#35 of 44 Old 06-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Too cute!
#36 of 44 Old 06-25-2007, 12:40 AM

These are so cute. I just joined, and I'm so excited about all the ideas I'm getting. I'm not especially crafty, but these seem simple enough....and I have a daughter who would love one as well as 4 nieces.
#37 of 44 Old 06-27-2007, 06:01 AM

Those look like fun~ I need to make one!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#38 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 PM

I made one years ago by sewing the ribbons on - I'll need to try one using knots. Looks much easier!
#39 of 44 Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks for sharing, I made DD1 a purple one last night. I'll have to post a pic.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#40 of 44 Old 07-19-2007, 05:27 PM

Mom2Noah - just to clarify for myself - your strips are 6 inches wide? Thanks!

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#41 of 44 Old 08-05-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama kate View Post
Mom2Noah - just to clarify for myself - your strips are 6 inches wide? Thanks!
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I didn't see the post until now. Yes, I used 6" strips. I actually bought spools of tulle and the strips are 6". The black and orange tutu that I made my DD for Halloween were 9" tulle but that is only because that is all I could find in those colors. The 6" is easier to work with.

I bought the spools of tulle at a craft supply store. I have seen them at Walmart in the wedding section as well but their colors are limited and more pastel. Here is an ebay link to give you a better idea of what to look for. The spools are much faster to work with rather than cutting strips off a bolt of fabric.
#42 of 44 Old 10-23-2007, 06:21 PM

My dd will be 5 next month and we are gonna have a tutu birthday party and all the little girls will make their own tutus and then I will take pictures of them all twirling in their tutus. We are so excited and have been planning this for months.
#43 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb123 View Post
My dd will be 5 next month and we are gonna have a tutu birthday party and all the little girls will make their own tutus and then I will take pictures of them all twirling in their tutus. We are so excited and have been planning this for months.
Great idea! DD will only be two, but maybe when the time comes :

OP:
I took her to the fabric store the other day and she picked out her colors- peach, shimmery light purple, shimmery silver, and light blue... I just finished making it. It's so cute! I still have to make one with the outdoorsy (or tree as she calls it) colors she picked- brown, green, and tan. I'll try to post a picture of the one I made. I think I'm going to make one for DH's 3.5yo niece for Christmas.
#44 of 44 Old 11-03-2007, 03:13 PM

i wish I hadn't just bought these instructions

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page