Help me I'm confused! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I have a few questions for everyone. I'm pretty much a beginning sewer. I took Home Eco. in school but I've never really sewn much. I've seen where the diapers are T&T, serged, or have FOE on them. I'm confused on how the T&T works. I understand that you sew around and leave an opening to be able to turn the diaper right side out but how do you sew up the opening. All the diapers I've seen like this look pretty, how do I get mine to look like that? I don't have a serger yet and don't want to use FOE b/c I don't have any experience with it and it's just one more thing to have to buy. Also I need help with the elastic. I see a lot of people that tack the elastic at each end of the leg and then stitch down the center. I did that with the practice dipe I made but it didn't come out too great. How do I do the elastic with the right amount of stretch and have it look okay?

I'm wanting to make some wetbags too. What sizes would you suggest? And I made I pair of breastpads but they bunch up around the edges when I put them in the bra. How do you keep this from happening? Help ladies I'm confused but I don't want to waste money buying all this stuff when I can make it at home so much cheaper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 AM

It takes practice! I'm just learning to sew myself, but every item looks a little better than the one before it.

The only thing I can really tackle here is that T&T works because (at least if I'm doing it right) you turn the item right-side-out, and then (if I can explain this in actual English) hold the unsewn edges AS THOUGH they were sewn (folded the right way, like the parts that are already sewn together). Then, when you sew a line around the edge of the item, as long as you're close enough to the edge, you'll catch all of the layers, and it'll be closed!
#3 of 6 Old 04-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Just adding in...Once you sew the open edge closed continue topstitching all the way around the diaper. When you get to the elastic sew further from the edge so you don't catch the elastic. This will for a casing for the elastic. When you get to the end of the elastic sew right up close to the edge again. It makes the diaper look finished and lay nice and straight. GL!
#4 of 6 Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 PM

Not sure whether you are sewing fitteds or what.... but here's how I do elastic...

I zig-zag the elastic (usually using a 3-step zig-zag) to the seam allowance on the outer layer (I usually use PUL or WindPro Fleece), then turn. I actually don't top stitch anything but the turning opening. So, I don't have casings for my elastic, but I don't actually like them anyways... and I don't need them b/c I have already zig-zagged the elastic down.

Hope this helps!!
#5 of 6 Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so if you use a casing for the elastic then do you still sew it down or just tack the ends? My elastic isn't coming out so great and I'd like to make some cloth diapers for DS. I made one diaper that came out okay except that it kind of rolled up at the elastic spots. It didn't look too good. Would the casing fix that?
#6 of 6 Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 PM

I haven't been making casings for my elastic, but I plan to when I get some more elastic But as far as sewing the elastic in, I tack it down at the start point by going back and forth with a stratight stitch, get the needle deep in the elastic (I leave my elastic long), turn the diaper, switch to zig zag, pull the elastic tight and stitch till I get to the endpoint, switch back to staight stitch and go back and forth to tack down the end, then I cut the elastic. This way I don't have to worry about the elastic being to long or too short. It has worked out ok so far, but elastic is the hardest part of sewing the dipe IMO.

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page