Breastfeeding scrapbook layout - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if it would be tacky to put a breastfeeding layout in my baby's first year scrapbook? I certainly haven't seen anything like that in "mainstream" scrapbooking magazines (lots of bottles, though : ).

I'm not talking about massive amounts of nipple or anything - just a couple of pictures of DD nursing with thoughtful journaling. After all, bf'ing is a big part of our relationship.

I'd love your all's opinions!

Best,
Nichole

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#2 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 07:24 PM

Oh, good! I'm not the only one! I did this for ds's scrapbook. I think I was very motivated to do the layout because ds is adopted, so breastfeeding him was more of a challenge than most women go through. It was literally a miracle to me that I could produce any milk at all. And I thought the sight of him latched on and nursing was so beautiful! I had dh take a few close-up shots of my breast and ds's face, and altered the pictures to all be in a sepia tone. Then I put a picture of me holding ds with a Lact-Aid around my neck (nothing revealing in that one) and did journaling explaining the process I went through to be able to nurse and how wonderful and awe-inspiring it was to me. If you want me to, I can scan it in and post it on my website, so you can get an idea! (Might take a few days, but let me know if you want me to)
#3 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 07:25 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#4 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 07:31 PM

what a wonderful idea!!!!!!!! i love scrapbooking and have enough pix to do a layout, though none recent. i think we need a couple to document our achievements!! i've sprinkled the pictures here and there because I scrap chronologically but i think i'll follow your lead and do a l/o on breastfeeding! go for it
#5 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want me to, I can scan it in and post it on my website, so you can get an idea!
Jennifer, I'd love to see your page when you get a minute. I'm out of town until next Thursday, so no rush. I just wanted to say how wonderful that you were able to give your baby the gift of your milk at all! I bet that was really special.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your thoughts. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks bf'ing would make a special layout.

While we're on the subject of appropriate SB pages . . .

I saw in a scrapbooking mag that you should always use a washcloth or something to cover your child's privates when taking bath pictures. : I thought that was really odd.

I do what I can to keep it tasteful, but I happen to think my DD's body is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I have enough bath pictures to do a whole scrapbook! :LOL

Thanks again,
Nichole
mom to Marlena born 4/15/02

Nichole
#6 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 09:21 PM

I guess it depends on who will be seeing the photos. I usually cover up my dd's crotch area if it's in full display with a cloth or if I forgot at the time I'll put a cute little sticker over it if I feel it's needed, especially since I share my l/o online with a scrapping group I belong to. We're all just a bunch of mama's sharing pix but you never know who's lurking. Not that I'd ever know, it just seemed prudent.

We have a whole lot of bath pix too - - those and sleeping are my favs!
#7 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 09:37 PM

I have nursing pages in both my boys scrapbooks. I want them to remember that I nursed them and how special it was to me. I also have a great sling page of me and ds#2 from my brother's wedding and a family bed page or two.

I try to journal a lot in my scrapbooks about what is important to me as a parent. I hope they will find it interesting when they are adults.
#8 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 09:51 PM

I think it would be beautiful!!

There is a picture of my mom BFing me in my baby book and it's one of my favorite pictures.
#9 of 15 Old 06-12-2003, 10:08 PM

yup, it's part of the "moment"

gotta capture it!
#10 of 15 Old 06-13-2003, 02:50 PM

AuntNi - I always cover ds's privates w/a washcloth so I don't get sprayed! I dont' need any action shots for his scrapbook

It's probably a good idea, anyway. What if someone got ahold of the pics? I would hate to have ds *out* there for strangers to see.
#11 of 15 Old 06-13-2003, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

I always cover ds's privates w/a washcloth so I don't get sprayed! I dont' need any action shots for his scrapbook

That's too funny. The first time I changed my nephew, I got sprayed, and wound up with pee all over the hospital room. My brother was hysterical!

I can understand not putting naked pictured on the internet, or submitting them to mags for publication. My SB pages are so primitive that I really save them just for family.

I appreciate your all's thoughts on the subject!!!

Best,
Nichole

Nichole
#12 of 15 Old 06-20-2003, 12:29 PM

Me too!
My ds' baby scrapbook is organized mostly by month--I'm doing a two page layout for each month of his first year. Interspersed throughout, though, will be pages of important events (birthday, vacation, adoption of our border collie) and pages of subjects important to me and his raising (breastfeeding, EC, babywearing, people that love him, etc).
I'm probably going to do a "looking back" bf page in his toddler/childhood album when he weans. Someone posted a great poem here on the boards:

Wean Me Gently

by Cathy Cardall

I know I look so big to you,
Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have.
But no matter how big we get,
We still have needs that are important to us.
I know that our relationship is growing and changing,
But I still need you.
I need your warmth and closeness,
Especially at the end of the day
When we snuggle up in bed.
Please don't get too busy for us to nurse.
I know you think I can be patient,
Or find something to take the place of a nursing;
A book, a glass of something,
But nothing can take your place when I need you.
Sometimes just cuddling with you,
Having you near me is enough.
I guess I am growing and becoming independent,
But please be there.
This bond we have is so strong and so important to me,
Please don't break it abruptly.
Wean me gently, because I am your mother,
and my heart is tender.

That makes me tear up every time I read it! I'd really like to incorporate it into a layout.
#13 of 15 Old 06-21-2003, 10:40 PM

I think it sounds amazing!!
#14 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 08:37 PM

Okay, I finally had a moment to scan these in. The blueish areas are actually vellum on which I printed my journaling then glued to the page. The html page I made with them side by side didn't work for some reason, so I'll just post the links to the pictures themselves.

http://www.aros.net/~nemmer/ABF1.jpg

http://www.aros.net/~nemmer/ABF2.jpg

HTH!
#15 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 09:07 PM

Jennifer, I just wanted to say how beautiful your layouts are!!! What a special memory and inspiration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page