Weighted Baby pattern with legs? or Sweet Cheeks pattern review? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw the post with a link to the Sweet Pea weighted baby and I really love the idea of a weighted baby with legs. I need to make a baby for my dd who will be almost 3 when her little brother is born in June. I've seen Joy's Heavy Baby pattern, but is there a similar one with legs? Is it possible to have removable clothes for them so that they could wear cloth diapers, etc. or would I need to go with a non-weighted pattern for that?

What about the Sweet Cheeks Magic Cabin pattern? Could I fill the body of that with millet, but leave the legs and head stuffed with wool, so it's weighted, but wouldn't put as much wear and tear on the button joints?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Emily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 PM

subbing!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Hi
I made a weighted baby with legs and it wasn't hard. There are a couple different ways to do. I adapted a pttern from a book. I made an inner doll body out of muslin and stuffed it with polypellets (you can use what you want) and cotton batting.Then I made the outer body a little bigger. Amy from Dancing Rain Dolls and other people have told me that you can also make little pouches to fill with the weighting material and place them in the feet and body. I also made a little teething doll from dancingraindolls and that one had an inner body out of cheaper cotton jersey that was stuffed with polypellets. I am finishing a doll right now that looks like a baby (as opposed to a toddler doll) but is more formed than a "heavy baby" looking doll. This new one has a pouch of poly pellets just in the torso area b/c the legs are a little too narrow for the weights. None of the above dolls are button jointed though. But I know that Amy @ Dancing Rain and Sara @ Sara's dolls can give directions for weighting their baby dolls.

http://www.dancingraindolls.com/16bu...edbabykit.html
http://www.sarahs-dolls.com/patterns.htm

Also, check out the fern and faerie pattern - http://hyenacart.com/FernandFaerie/index.php?c=10&p=25 She mentioned in a post her jammie baby could be weighted.

You can make them without the clothes sewn on, just make the entire outer body out of the doll skin.

I would use millet or something else natural but I am so afraid of something eating the doll!

HTH!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... I'm thinking maybe the doll wouldn't have to be button-jointed anyway, so your instructions are a huge help!
Emily
Old 05-03-2007, 06:07 PM

cinnamama, what are poly pellets?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonsage View Post
cinnamama, what are poly pellets?
http://www.poly-fil.com/pellets.asp I think they are similar to what is used to stuff beanie babies.

I've only been able to find them at Michael's - near the batting. Some people use sand too but I am afraid of making a big mess inside with the sand. I do tend to get the pellets everywhere as it is. I have heard of recycling beanie babies for the stuffing too.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
http://www.poly-fil.com/pellets.asp I think they are similar to what is used to stuff beanie babies.

I've only been able to find them at Michael's - near the batting. Some people use sand too but I am afraid of making a big mess inside with the sand. I do tend to get the pellets everywhere as it is. I have heard of recycling beanie babies for the stuffing too.
I have taken apart a lot of beanie babies in my day! There is a bag of carcasses around here, somewhere. The pellets inside a Beanie Baby brand toy are much denser and heavier than the pellets you buy at Joanns or Michaels. So fewer pellets weight more, when you use the recycled Beanie Baby pellets. Also, the Beanie pellets are round and roll around against each other inside the toy, giving it that slippery beanie feeling. The pellets sold at Michaels ar flattened and don't roll.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 AM

It would be nice to have something heavier and denser than the poly pellets. The poly pellets are round though, they roll against each other in the doll and all over my floor when I spill them!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
It would be nice to have something heavier and denser than the poly pellets. The poly pellets are round though, they roll against each other in the doll and all over my floor when I spill them!
You must have found some that are nicer that the ones available retail here, locally. The pellets I have seen for sale are almost disk or barrel shaped.

As far as getting the weight that a denser pellet can provide, BB shot and glass beads are used by bear makers for this reason, but not suitable for toy made for young children. It's just not worth the risk if some were to find a way out through a broken seam.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Oh, this was my 1000th post!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 PM

What about airsoft gun bullets. They are basically plastic BBs, and are pretty hefty.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
Old 05-07-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
What about airsoft gun bullets. They are basically plastic BBs, and are pretty hefty.
Don't know anything about these, but they sound like a good thing. Are they expensive? Can you buy them at the sport supply?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:48 AM

On Joy's waldorf doll page, she recomends using millet to stuff her heavy baby.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
When I made "Lucy" my DD's baby....
I called Wier Dolls and asked her advice. I used her 19" doll kit (and pre-made body, and pre made head, and pre crocheted hair ) I used the 19" so it would be large enough to wear newborn clothes, and cloth diapers. When I asked her it I could add weight to the doll she said it was very easy..

Fill a bag with millet, or whatever you want, and stuff the doll's bottom. Then fill the rest of the body with wool. I didn't have any millet around, and I am a pretty impatient person when it comes to crafts. So, I used grout mortar. At first I really thought I was brilliant, and oh so creative. The baby weighed about 4 lbs, and her tummy was squishy. I wraped the bag in wool so you couldn't hear it. Oh so clever! As it would turn out, "Grout Mortar" is a very bad idea. Lucy now has a tummy that feels like cement. GO FIGURE. As soon as my sweet DD uses Lucy as a weapon I will have to re-stuff her, this time with millet, of course!
Hope that helps!

Amanda
Old 05-13-2007, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to go ahead and make another 16" doll like the one I made for her birthday last year, just with less hair and weighted. She actually doesn't play much with her other one, whereas she likes smaller dolls, so I wouldn't want to go any bigger... but I also don't want to go smaller since her "baby" shouldn't seem tiny next to her actual baby brother! How large of a bag did you put in the doll? Do you know how much the grout weighed? I guess I could just weigh her other doll and see how much more weight I'd need to get to 4 pounds!

Thanks again!

Emily
Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinemaus View Post
I'm going to go ahead and make another 16" doll like the one I made for her birthday last year, just with less hair and weighted. She actually doesn't play much with her other one, whereas she likes smaller dolls, so I wouldn't want to go any bigger... but I also don't want to go smaller since her "baby" shouldn't seem tiny next to her actual baby brother! How large of a bag did you put in the doll? Do you know how much the grout weighed? I guess I could just weigh her other doll and see how much more weight I'd need to get to 4 pounds!

Thanks again!

Emily
What did you decide to weight with? I just filled mine until it felt like a good weight. I didn't weigh the pellets. I have heard between 2 and 4 pounds is good. Post a pic when you are done. I posted pics of the weighted dolls I made in the waldorf doll thread - here

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...13#post8051313

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinemaus View Post
How large of a bag did you put in the doll? Do you know how much the grout weighed? I guess I could just weigh her other doll and see how much more weight I'd need to get to 4 pounds!

Thanks again!

Emily

I used a sandwich size Ziplock. I filled the bag about half full of grout. I am not sure how much the grout weighed , I don't allow a scale in my house. I did weigh "Lucy" at my MIL's, and she weighs about 4bls. Sorry, I am not much help. I am way to impulsive to be that exact with things!

Amanda

User Tag List