Anyone ever make wool covers from sweaters? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All I have is this and I am wondering if anyone has done it and how they turned out.

Do I have to felt it first? (How do I do that?) TIA!
#2 of 24 Old 05-07-2007, 03:51 PM

I tried this. My legs are uneven, but I am gonna rip the larger one out and resew it. I felted it by washing in hot water and drying it hot. I am pretty sure it still needs to be lanolized (?). Hoping to hear what others say!

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#3 of 24 Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM

I haven't done this personally, but my friend made me some shorties and some longies and we loved those a lot. She did some felting on the sweaters first which makes them thicker and more waterproof. She didn't felt them until they were totally hard, so they still had some of the nice stretchy properties of the original sweaters.

I don't think you'd just have to restrict yourself to those triangle ly patterns either. If you have a pattern for some fitted shorts or panties that you like, I'm sure that would work too.
#4 of 24 Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 AM

I found a website by looking up recycled butt sweaters. I used a free pattern that I had for trainers. So far so good, I have made 2 in the last 2 days. I felted the wool first by washing in hot water. I just threw the wool in the diaper wash water and then into the dryer. The ones I made were from a bumpy wool and wool jersey knit. I doubled the jersey knit with two layers and turned and topstitched the pattern. The bumpy wool was so thick I just used one layer. I would rip the seams that you won't use in your pattern from the wool garment you want to recycle [B]before[B] you felt the material. I waited to lanolinize the wool until after sewing the whole cover together. Just put a teaspoon of lanolin (or so) and a squirt of mild soap into a small bottle of warm water. Shake to emulsify. Add this mixture to a bowl of warm water and soak your wool for about twenty minutes. Squeeze out and then hang to dry. I am trying some wool-in-ones for summer. I will make tri fold stuffers that snap into the covers for daytime. My son is 19mo and we're working on potty learning. He doesn't hold still for diaper changes, so they must be fast and easy when we need to have a diaper on him.

best of luck
sally
#5 of 24 Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

What website did you find? It doesnt seem too hard I just have to go get some sweaters. Did you use mens sweaters? How long did each one take you? Oh, do you think it will be too hard to hand sew them?
#6 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 02:40 AM

what do you use to sew the heavy sweater? Yarn? I certain kind of needle? help!

--I want to start, but am clueless

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#7 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 AM

i made it, it came out way too narrow, even for my new born. if doing it again, i would use a really big sweater (or a different pattern)
#8 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up making one yesterday. For my first one it looks pretty good! I measured the waist slightly too big and I by mistake I did one of the legs backwards so I had to redo it! I used regular thread and needle it worked fine. I also used a thinner sweater, just one that I had. Ill post pics in a sec.
#9 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

#10 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 PM

wow it looks so cute! Thanks for the feedback, I have a really nice cashmere sweater of my dh that accidentally made it into the wash and shrunk in a way that makes him hate it... I think it wants to be a diaper soaker!

I'm not really great at sewing, but this looks about my speed...

#11 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Really? You think so! Thanks! I think your cashmere would be good. Especially if it is soft! And when it shrinks its more absorbant. Oh, I also sewed it by hand because I dont have a sewing machine. (I wish!!) It took forever (like 2 hours) but also because I had to redo the leg. PM me if you need help with something.
#12 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 04:56 PM

I'll be sewing it by hand, too... now my 3 year old is jealous so I'll have to make him something too

I'm sure I'll have some questions once we get into the project... fun! I guess I should throw it in the washer to felt it first....

#13 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 10:40 PM

that is soooo cute! I want some! How did you make them into shorties from that pattern? I am not handy with a needle and thread- I am too afraid to mess up! I really want some recycled shorties though.
#14 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 PM

If you want to make shorties, use the sleeves like making pants but just make them shorter. I have made a ton of pants out of sweaters and using the body of the sweater, made a few pull-on style covers and wraps. I've found that I prefer not to felt a sweater when making the pants or cover. Good luck!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#15 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks , I hope I can get some more sweaters so I can make some more. I didnt end up using that pattern, I found something else. Turtle: You should try it!
#16 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasswifey View Post
Thanks , I hope I can get some more sweaters so I can make some more. I didnt end up using that pattern, I found something else. You should try it!
I'm thinking of taking the basics of the pattern, but actually making longies with this lovely sweater (it is too nice not to use as much of it as possible!)... but in the original post the link it recommends using a 'zig-zag' stitch... is this just what I imagine it to be? I'll google it, but was wondering if this is what you did?

did you buy a pattern or just wing it?

I'm going to goodwill and svdp tomorrow to find old sweaters

#17 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
I'm thinking of taking the basics of the pattern, but actually making longies with this lovely sweater (it is too nice not to use as much of it as possible!)... but in the original post the link it recommends using a 'zig-zag' stitch... is this just what I imagine it to be? I'll google it, but was wondering if this is what you did?

did you buy a pattern or just wing it?

I'm going to goodwill and svdp tomorrow to find old sweaters
That would be a good idea to make longies but it might be hot in the summer? Here is something that looks easy for longies. I dont really know what a zigzag stich is but hmm.. how do I explain this, I sewed over the edge and put the needle through the loop so the stitch went over the seam. Do you know what I mean? I pretty much used this pattern. Hope you find some sweaters today! I have to go there too.
#18 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 AM

That is exactly how I do it I just make the legs shorter for longies. Now I'm wanting to go get a sweater!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#19 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM

I tried the longies pattern and it made them too small even using the other pants as a guide. Once I folded it over it was way too small to cover her bum. Guess I'll have to keep trying.
#20 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
I tried the longies pattern and it made them too small even using the other pants as a guide. Once I folded it over it was way too small to cover her bum. Guess I'll have to keep trying.
I was concerned about that just looking at the pattern; with a big diaper in there--that is a lot to cover! Try, try again... at least this will keep me out of trouble

#21 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
That would be a good idea to make longies but it might be hot in the summer?
I went to goodwill today and managed to find 2 really cool sweaters for 2 dollars each even with my toddler... I'll have to post pictures--one is this pink sweater with a really tall turtle-neck like neck with these flowers sewn on in funky colors--I want to try to use the neck as a waste and get the flowers on the back side... it would just be too cute.

And then I found an old man sweater with a striped pattern. I'll do this one first so if I mess up it isn't so bad... I'll make shorties out of it...

I'll probably save dh sweater for when it gets cooler in the fall winter...

I really like looking through all the different patterns online ... I'm not sure which one to try first... I'm going to do some measuring and see what I think I can handle first...

#22 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the thrift shop today too but I didnt get anything because the sweaters were like 6$! Im glad you found good stuff. I want to see when theyre done!!
#23 of 24 Old 05-15-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I went to the thrift shop today too but I didnt get anything because the sweaters were like 6$! Im glad you found good stuff. I want to see when theyre done!!

wow... we have some fancy thrift shops around here, but I like the goodwill and st. vincent de paul--they're usually pretty cheap... and then some days they have 50% off days where everything with a pink tag is 1/2 price...

oh, and I found this pattern, and though it might be cool to base a recycled sweater soaker on--only the ends would have to be sewn so they don't unravel--but it seems pretty simple to cut the sweater like that and then sew on the sleeves as little 'legs':
http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/soakers/pattern/

I really need to learn how to knit! I always have a little 'helper' about, though, so haven't been able to focus much on it... maybe this weekend...

#24 of 24 Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 PM

The other day when I was looking for a crochet pattern I ran across this pattern. Hopefully it helps someone here. Living in florida I really dont have many sweaters to even try this, so visiting the thrift store sounds like a great idea.

Soaker Pattern

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page