Round table style charity blanket - Mothering Forums

#1 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is sort of a spin off from a swap we're discussing on the tp. I got to thinking that it might be neat if we did a sort of charity blanket where we make a blanket a square at a time in strips, then one person finishes it.

It would work something like this:

We have 5 or so starting people each knit 1 square, and then send to the next person on the list, who picks up the stitches (or they aren't bound off at all & just put on waste yarn) and knit their squares. We could order the round table so that they are sent to each person in the same order -- that way, when they are sewn together the blocks each person knit in each strip are in a diagonal line.

Then they could be donated to a charity of our choice, or saved for the mdc holiday helpers.

Anyone interested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 12:32 AM

I love this idea! My only question is I wonder what it'll look like. It would definately be a lesson in guage! I think it would be fun because you could get beginners in on it too, they can do a very simple square all in garter or moss stitch or something, right? How would we ensure everyone uses the right/same yarn? That might also be an issue.

If you can figure out the details I'll help coordinate with you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking that we could do one of two things with the yarn. Either we could all paypal one person to buy the yarn, or we could choose something readily available at any big box store. A third option would be to choose an online retailer & each of the starters could buy the appropriate amount, then mail it on with their squares.

Now that I write it all out, I think it would be simplest to go the readily available (patons or something) route. We could choose a gauge & if someone has a different one they could just go up or down in needle size. Anyone experienced enough to do a block with cables or another pattern that changes the size would know enough to alter the number of stitches to keep the piece square, I think.

Anywho, we could decide on colors, then each person could buy the color they want to use...

#4 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 AM

oooooooooooooooooh. I Looooooooooooooove this idea!
#5 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 AM

great idea and sounds fun!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#6 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 AM

Ooh, me too, I want in! And correct me if I am wrong but if we make sure the finished dimensions of our squares are the same , differences in gauge aren't going to be terribly detrimental, right?
I mean, picking up stitches and continuing on I guess you would need similar gauge.....

Maybe we can all do blocks and find one of us that ***really*** likes seaming...

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#7 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post
Maybe we can all do blocks and find one of us that ***really*** likes seaming...
In MDK, they tell about a KAL they did of squares for Afghans for Afghans. They had parties to seam all the blocks together. They did like 5 regional parties and the knitters who came to seam had never met each other in person before -- only knew each other through the message boards on MDK! We could set up something like that with volunteers from here who already know other knitters in their area, even if those helping to seam weren't MDC mamas.
#8 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 10:50 AM

I could get my knitting group in on that....

Granted I think they hate seaming, but hey it's for charity.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#9 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yea, that's why I thought we'd try to just add on -- saying I HATE seaming is an understatement! Plus it would be a novel way to watch the blanket grow & keep the blocks in order...

I think that if we all use the same brand/weight yarn and start with the same needle size (going up or down depending on knitting style, we should be fine. If you choose to do a block that makes a very tight fabric you would increase an appropriate # of stitches in the first row or two, then decrease on your last row or two...

I do think it would be really neat to have local knitting groups get in on this, though! We could make it a nice big blanket then. Let me think how best to organize it...
#10 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 12:45 PM

The big problem I see with the knitting on to the existing block method is that the blanket will get heavier and larger so therefore more expensive and difficult to ship as the project progresses. An individual block can probably be shipped for one or two stamps.

In addition, if people are knitting blocks, they can all be done at one time, so this project takes less time. I am one of the participants in the Journal Swap going on right now. This swap started back in January and is just about to finish. There are 3 different groups and mine is the only one close to finishing. We are really the only group that hasn't had major disruptions or problems in getting the journals around the circle. I have loved the swap, and am going to do it again, but it was a lesson in how life happens and you need to be flexible in accomodating people.

I don't know what your final vision is for this project, but if it was to make blankets for Holiday Helpers, I'd be surprised if we could be finished in time with the pass the whole project around method.
#11 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 03:41 PM

We did this for our expecting mamas in our playgroup. One of our ladies is a crocheter, so we had them all crocheted together, and that helped fill in gaps when some were bigger than others.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#12 of 63 Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Good point about shipping getting heavier. I had planned to have vertical strips passed around at the same time, so it wouldn't be a one at a time thing, but more of a 5-8 at a time thing (depending on block & blanket dimensions), so I don't think time would be quite the issue it would be with a single block being done at a time. I'm willing to give that up if that's the general concensious (sp??? ) though.

Love the crocheting idea -- I've heard it before & recall that it's supposed to be easier & nice looking... kids calling! gtg
#13 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

okay; i'm going to reluctantly drop the add on as we go idea. it would be a waste of money to make everyone mail 5-8 packages of increasing weight... we can decide whose lys/snb group will do the seaming later, lol.

so lets decide on blanket size, block size & fiber content. oh, and if we're going to regulate stitch patterns, number of blocks that are the same, etc.. or just leave it random.
#14 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and wrt the charity, I was thinking the first one would go to the holiday helpers... Perhaps the next could be for Afghans for Afghans -- there are restrictions that will be a bit limiting there, so I thought we'd do a less fussy one first.
#15 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 AM

If it's for HH, I'll donate the shipping from seaming to final recipient for as many blankets as you make.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#16 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

thx flapjack!
#17 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 07:09 PM

Yeah for Holiday Helpers Knitting!!!! (see my sig!)

Random Thoughts:

We could do one with animal fibers and one without for those who are allergic or vegan. Either way, it is probably best if it is washable.

I would like to suggest doing a blanket for a teenager. Last year it seemed it was hard to fill the teenagers needs. Babies are easier. Lots of mamas on here have young ones that have grown out of stuff and can be passed on. And baby items are easier to knit quickly and at the last minute since they are smaller. Teenagers are a bigger project, but with many hands working on this, and doing it in blocks, it'll be quicker and easier.

I think we should set a size for blocks, a fiber type, and decide what size the finished project is. We should probably decide on a general color scheme, so everything will go together! But I think we should leave stitch patterns up to the mamas knitting/crocheting the block.
#18 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds great -- I'll visit Michaels & Joann's this weekend & check out what the selection is, then give ya'll some options (opinions welcome!). A teen blanket would be cool! Maybe a "throw" size for carting off to college/1st apt. later?
#19 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Hey Carolynn!!

You know I haven't been able to do much knitting lately but please get me the details... just email me!
#20 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 PM

I will definately help. Sounds great so far ladies.
#21 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think I would like to participate depending on what we decide on exactly, and what the final cost will be. I would recommend something simple like Wool-Ease (wool/acrylic blend - washable, sort of soft, inexpensive) or Patons Classic Merino Wool (100% wool, not washable but soft and inexpensive). I would really shy away from the "pound of love" type yarns but that is just my personal bias. A good "vegan" alternative I think would be Cotton-Ease (cotton/acrylic), washable, really soft and lovely for a blanket. These are all available at my local Joanns or Joanns Online. Not sure about other retailers.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#22 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 PM

I definitely like the Wool/Cotton-Ease idea. All the big box stores seem to have it, it is easily available online, it is inexpensive, we could probably get 2, maybe 3 squares from a single skein depending on the size of the squares.
#23 of 63 Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 PM

I'd like to second the idea of using wool ease for one and cotton ease for one. Both are sturdy, washable, readily available and affordable. I love the idea of doing it for a teenager too. Our house burned down when I was in 8th grade and I still have the quilt a church donated to us so I know these things are appreciated.

#24 of 63 Old 06-02-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

All right... I'm good with the cotton-ease or wool-ease. Any preferences between the two? I'm kinda unhappy with Patons merino right now -- it gets sooo pilly.

I'm going to google cotton/wool ease to check on differences & color availablility.
#25 of 63 Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, after looking at the selection of colors available, I think we should go with wool-ease; there's just so many more options.

And then we have to decide:

wool-ease (Knit: 18 St sts + 24 rows = 4" (10 cm) on size 8 (5mm) needles),
wool-ease chunky (Knit: 14 St sts + 18 rows = 4 inches (10 cm) on size 10½ U.S. (6.5 mm) needles), or
wool-ease thick & quick (Knit: 9 St sts and 12 rows = 4" (10 cm) on size 13 (9 mm) needles)??

I'm leaning towards one of the first 2... and I was thinking our blocks would be about 9 inches (give or take...).

We also need to decide on the color scheme. I'm leaning towards male/gender-neutral. Girls tend to like "boy" colors too, whereas many boys shy away from "girlie" colors.

I'm going to check out Michaels & Joann's tomorrow to see what colors they're carrying, so people don't have to buy online to get the right colors. Once we decide on a group of colors, it would probably be a good idea to keep track of who buys which color so we don't end up with an unbalanced look.

Hey -- does anyone know how to set up a kal blog??
#26 of 63 Old 06-02-2007, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

How many times can one person post on the same thread in a row?

Anywho, it struck me how great the cotton-ease colors lake, terracotta & maize looked together, or snow, stone, taupe & charcoal...

Here is the gauge on it:

Knit: 17 sts + 24 rows = 4 inches (10 cm) on size 8 (5 mm) needles

And here is the lion website with the color choices & yarn types.
#27 of 63 Old 06-02-2007, 01:30 AM

I'm getting excited about this idea! I don't care which yarn we use, I think its just going to be so fun to watch it all come together.

Sorry I can't help with setting up a KAL blog, but I would definately like to utilize one for this.

#28 of 63 Old 06-02-2007, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, blogger is super easy! So here's our site: Charity Blankets Knit-A-Long. Yea...not so great with the original titles...

Anywho, if you are going to participate, say "I" and I'll set you up so you can post as well. It's be fun to see pics of the wip blocks along the way!
#29 of 63 Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 AM

I'm in! I've never posted to a blog though, so you may have to walk me thru it....

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#30 of 63 Old 06-02-2007, 08:14 AM

I'm definitely in!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page