playsilks question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-23-2003, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't know where to post this, but thought this was the place most likely to be where the seamstresses hung out.

I was wondering if playsilks were a particular kind of silk...I don't know a lot about fabric, but is it a silk blend, dupioni or something else. Are they washable? I assume it is a big square of silk with a hem. (like a shirt tail type hem).

Next question...is silk hard to work with for an inexperienced sewer?

I have a nephew with his 2nd birthday coming up and I would like to make some for my ds too and thought this might be a good idea, but the prices are just too much for me. I am looking to see if making some myself is feasable.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#2 of 6 Old 06-23-2003, 09:10 AM

I am not sure what the silk is, I believe 100 % silk. Yes, it is washable. We wash ours outdoors with mild soap and hang in the sun..or breeze, depending on the day. I have bought muslin from Joannes for playcloths too. It is very pretty, sometimes nice soft colors. You can really use any fabric you like. We often go and get a yard of fabric that appeals to dd. I usually fill a decorated box with fabrics, ribbon and such for the holidays for dd...it is her favorite. I don't have a link, but you can try My Little Stars on line for silk playcloths on sale. HTH

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#3 of 6 Old 06-23-2003, 09:48 AM

Playsilks are 100% silk. You could buy silk locally and hem it up, usually with a rolled hem (you would need a special foot if you didn't want to wrestle with the slippery stuff). But really, there are several places that sell dyeable playsilks so cheap it's easier than doing your own. Thai Silks comes to mind...they will even send you samples and such. Dharma Trading Company has silks, too.

Thai Silks

Dharma
#4 of 6 Old 06-23-2003, 12:04 PM

Dharma's silks are dirt cheap, but you still have to dye them if you want colors. You can use Kool Aid, but you get much nicer and richer colors using "real" dye (I'm talking the procion dyes Dharma sells). But by the time you get all the junk to dye w/ you might as well spend the $ and buy them already dyed!

I think the cheapest way would be to do what mom4tot suggested and just use cheap fabric and sew the hems. Heck, you could make capes and fairy wings and cloaks while you're at it!

Also, sometimes you can find co-ops or preorders for dyed silks.
#5 of 6 Old 06-23-2003, 12:27 PM

As for type of silk, they are 8mm Habotai though some even use 10 mm Habotai (also called China Silk). Check out Thai Silks that WendyLouWho posted the link to. They are cheaper than Dharma's and their shipping is less expensive as well.
#6 of 6 Old 06-23-2003, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the info!

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page