Corriedale vs Merino? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are the differences?

Is one softer?

Does one pill more? Or sag/stretch/felt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 PM

merino (especially a fine one, you should always check the quality, which is related to the micron) is really really soft. way softer than corriedale.

as a result, merino pills and felts more easily, but with proper care (don't put it in hot water, add soap, and agitate, lol) will hold up very nicely.

corriedale is a wonderful, strong workhouse of a yarn! it's a bit scratchier but becomes softer with washing. it's similar to a suffolk.

i like them both. merino is probably a better choice against baby skin
#3 of 10 Old 06-05-2007, 09:32 PM

I've stopped buying merino.
Corriedale is smooth and lusterous and has a nice long staple, so it's durable. It is one of my favorites to spin. It is springy and holds its shape really well, which is one of the popular things about it. I have never had any problems with it pilling, but I think that is more dependant on the way it is carded and spun than the breed of sheep.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#4 of 10 Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila View Post
I've stopped buying merino.
Corriedale is smooth and lusterous and has a nice long staple, so it's durable. It is one of my favorites to spin. It is springy and holds its shape really well, which is one of the popular things about it. I have never had any problems with it pilling, but I think that is more dependant on the way it is carded and spun than the breed of sheep.
mulesing is a really distressing practice that is just one of the many horrible ways sheep are treated. it is possible to buy organic merino, produced from sheep that are not treated in this way. i've switched to selling organic merino for this reason.

although it is practiced across a wide variety of different kinds of sheep ( for instance, see here for references to corriedale http://www.corriedale.org.au/Page.as...dents%20Report ) it is supposed to be phased out in australia by 2010. for now, if this type of practice concerns you, it is critical that you be familiar with the source of your wool yarns.
#5 of 10 Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

How about corriedale vs peace fleece?

Specifically hpy single-ply bulky corriedale vs peace fleece?
#6 of 10 Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 AM

Peace fleece is way way sturdier. Any plied yarn is going to be more durable than a single. PLus the mohair content give it strength.

HPY is going to be a thicker fabric, because it's bulky.

Some people find peace fleece to be intolerably itchy, others find it softens just fine upon washing. I haven't heard as many people complain about the softness of the HPY, but I also don't know as many that haved tried it.

The HPY is going to felt really really easily, even if you treat it gently. If you make soakers/pants with it, the crotch and maybe the knees will felt. And it will pill, especially at first.

The pills can be cut or shaved off (don't pluck them off, or use the sweater stone, because that makes more pills sooner).

I would highly suggest getting 1 or 2 skeins of each type, to see what you like, and what holds up for your particular situation.
#7 of 10 Old 06-06-2007, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I already know that I love PF. I've made a number of shorties from it as well as an afghan/baby blanket which has gone everywhere with me since December.

I have also made a pair of shorties from 100purewool, but that is merino while the hpy that I would be getting is corriedale. So I don't know how that compares... I probably would not use 100purewool by first choice for longies for a crawling baby, it seems like pf is more suited for that but that brings me back to the corriedale question.

Basically, I have $100 to spend on yarn. I'm trying to decide whether to get my own order of PF with it, or to put in a big order on a hpy coop that I have access to right now.

Or something else entirely :
#8 of 10 Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM

rosygirl, thanks for the info on mulesing. I am still just learning. It was my understanding that it is mostly done on merino sheep because they have loose skin, and are bred that way in order to produce more wool. the breed itself should, in my opinion, be eliminated or selectively bred to reduce that trait.
I am trying to only buy from small farms now, too, where I know the sheep have been treated humanely. I heart sheep

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#9 of 10 Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM

I've only fondled the HPY, not knit anything with it yet, but I've made several things from Manos del Uruguay, which feels very similar. THe Manos pills but not as bad as the 100PW, but it does felt in the crotch fairly soon. OH, and the legs twist, because the unbalanced single makes the fabric bias.
#10 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 01:39 AM

Glad you raised these issues. That is why I buy local wool from small farms and from heritage breeds when I can.

Another issue with extreme softness is that thin sheep have softer wool and there are some sheep kept in almost starving condition to produce super soft wool. So super soft commercial wool is scary for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page