I want to applique - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-24-2003, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to applique some of DD's plain wool covers but I have questions.

1) What kind of wool do I need to use for applique? How about thread?

2) Do you have to turn under the raw edges of the applique (will the raw edges unravel?)

3) What am I missing here?

4) Where can I get wool scraps to do this with?

5) Is it worth the effort?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Amy
#2 of 3 Old 06-24-2003, 08:05 PM

Okay...there are several things to consider. First, depending on how you applique, the needle holes could cause wicking or leaking. If you look at appliqued covers, you'll see the applique is usually done on the outer layer and then the inner layer has no needle marks. Except on Fuzbaby, and my theory is the wool is so thick and felted that it doesn't matter.

Now, here's some general applique advice. I have only done art applique on quilts and such but I think this would all apply to wool. I use a fusible backing so you iron the applique onto the fabric and then stitch the edges with a satin or decorative stitch. That way the stitching isn't the only thing holding the fabrics together. If you don't want the raw edges showing, you can sew the backing with a 1/4" seam allowance, right sides facing in and then turn it inside out so you only have a nice, finished edge...then fuse and stitch the edges to finish as normal.

You can get lots of wool felt at Magic Cabin. You might be able to find wool felt at higher end quilt shops in your town, also.

As far as thread goes, maybe a synthetic thread wouldn't wick? I use a combination thread (cotton coated polyester) or a 100% cotton thread. If this is something you think you'd want to pass down to your kids, I would go for 100% cotton...a lot of times with polyester thread, the cotton (or any natural fiber) fabric it's sewed to starts to wear but the thread doesn't and it creates holes because there is no give. Does that make sense? I know it's something I consider if I'm making a quilt I hope my kids' kids will have.

Good Luck!
#3 of 3 Old 06-24-2003, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gravymommy
I want to applique some of DD's plain wool covers but I have questions.

1) What kind of wool do I need to use for applique? How about thread?

I don't think it matters what kind of wool you use. I bought a bunch of merino from fabric.com and used that. I've seen appliques made with recycled wool. I tried using some wool felt (from Homestead Hearth) and it didn't work at all...it definitely wasn't made to be washed. If you do try wool felt, make sure it is 100% wool; lots of it is actually mostly rayon. As for thread, I think 100% polyester is the best, since it won't wick. Any cotton in the thread will wick moisture through the cover.

Quote:
2) Do you have to turn under the raw edges of the applique (will the raw edges unravel?)

No. Felted wool isn't prone to fraying, and I just used a satin stitch that basically finished the edges anyway. I think it would be lumpy if you tried to turn the edges over.

Quote:
3) What am I missing here?
I used a little washable fabric glue to attach my appliques to the cover, but the great thing about wool is that it kind of sticks to itself (think felt board), so mostly I've just used a couple of pins and held it down.

Also, I do think you really need to do a two-layer cover, though, so all that stitching isn't next to the wet diaper, although I haven't tried a 1-layer cover so I can't be sure.

Quote:
4) Where can I get wool scraps to do this with?
This was a puzzle for me, too. I posted on the Crafts board and some other diaper sewing boards. Mainly, I just bought a lot of wool for covers, and now I have a lot of scraps. PM me and I'll send you some!

Quote:
5) Is it worth the effort?
YES, YES, YES!! I have made 4 so far and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. It is definitely a project but it is so satisfying. It takes some time but it isn't actually that difficult, and I have been really pleased with my results. If you enjoy the creative process, then I think you'll enjoy this.

I am still a novice, but having a great time and would be happy to pass along any things I have learned so far.

Have fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page