Any jewellers out there - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-25-2002, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started jewellery making lessons. Last night I made a plain silver band. I made it a bit too wide & I have so many ideas as to how to improve it. I can't wait for my next lesson.

Anyone else out there making jewellery & selling it ? Were you self taught or did you do a degree or apprenticeship ?
#2 of 6 Old 02-25-2002, 10:07 PM

My husband and I both have MFAs in jewelry and metalsmithing. We focus on blacksmithing now. My husband is much more the jeweler than I am. He is a prof of Jewelry and metals at a University in this area.
I can handle the metalsmithing, but hate stonesetting.
www.kokametalsmiths.com

I've met a few jewelers from Australia, but none from New Zealand. Where are you taking classes and with whom?
#3 of 6 Old 02-25-2002, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm taking classes with a jeweller in Ponsonby. His web site is www.bijoux.co.nz I don't think the web site shows off his work that well. There's actually 2 of them. A father & son.
#4 of 6 Old 02-26-2002, 09:32 AM

I should have mentioned that I've read about great New Zealand jewelers in the British Crafts magazine. I just realized that it sounded like I didn't think there were any jewelers in NZ, which isn't true. I'm not up on my modern craft mags lately, now that I'm not near a big big University library.
#5 of 6 Old 02-26-2002, 05:24 PM

I just looked at the website. I like Kevin's work a lot- a little more funky than Matt's. Keep updating this thread as the classes go along. What kind of jewelry do you want to make?
#6 of 6 Old 02-26-2002, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Kevin is the Dad. matt is the one teaching me. I don't feel their website shows off their work at all.

As to the type of jewellery I want to make. Hmm..... I love simple things. I like pieces that show off, say, a beautiful stone. But then I also like intricate, ornate pieces. I guess I'll start simple to get the techniques right & then work on from there & see where it takes me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page