English or Continental Style? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: English or Continental?
English (yarn in right hand) 26 100.00%
Continental (yarn in left hand) 52 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 34 Old 06-28-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you an English (yarn in right hand) or Continental (yarn in left hand) style knitter?

I learned English style first, and am currently trying to learn how to knit Continental style as I have heard it's faster. It feels like learning to write with my left hand though. I'm curious how many people do knit Continental style....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM

i'm a switch

i learned english and then taught myself continental. continental does get faster once you can get your hands to cooperate with your brain!
#3 of 34 Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 PM

I do both. For just knitting or just purling, I do English. It's faster for me.

If I'm doing ribbing or seed stitch, I do Continental.

Best of both worlds.

#4 of 34 Old 06-28-2007, 08:36 PM

I learned English. After six months, i taught myself continental. I do use English for some techniques like k2tog, because i find it easier. But overall, i prefer continental now

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#5 of 34 Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM

I didn't vote b/c my answer is complex.

To begin with, english versus continental isn't a simply a question of right versus left. It is about picking the yarn from the nondominant hand versus throwing it with the dominant hand, so left handed english knitters will hold the yarn in their left hand while left handed continental knitters will hold the yarn in their right hand.

I learned to knit english right handed from my mother (I am naturally ambidextorous but from years of being forced to use my right hand it has become dominant for most things,) and knit that way for many years. Then I took up crochet and did that almost exclusively for years.

I'm dyslexic and crochet was much more intuitive for me. I can't follow a pattern and find that somewhat limiting while knitting. Most of all though b/c of the dyslexia I never progressed past garter stitch b/c I was unable to get the knit a row purl a row thing down.

Later I had DS and wanted to knit again b/c I find crochet girly : . I discovered a few things that made knitting work much better for me. First I took up loom knitting. Since it isn't all bunched up on a needle I could see where I was heading much more easily. You also only have to purl when you actualy need a purl like knitting in the round, and when you purl it isn't about left and right or clockwise/counterclockwise. Then I saw two youtube videos that made a huge difference one was on continental knitting and the other was Sarah's ambidextorous knitting video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jhCV4ZTLrA

I don't knit quite The same way Sarah does, I keep the yarn in my left hand and knit back left handed english.

Timmy's Mommy WARNING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 34 Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
both.
#7 of 34 Old 06-28-2007, 10:30 PM

I tried to teach myself english so many times but could never get the hang of controlling tension with my right hand (I started out with crochet). Once I found decent instructions for continental it was great. I'm working on doing english for stranding/fair isle so that I can have one yarn in each hand - it's slow going but definitely working.
#8 of 34 Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

English

Kami~34
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH~37,Alex~13,
Ryker~10
Harlan~4

4/05,7/05,11/10
#9 of 34 Old 06-29-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Then I saw two youtube videos that made a huge difference one was on continental knitting and the other was Sarah's ambidextorous knitting video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jhCV4ZTLrA

I don't knit quite The same way Sarah does, I keep the yarn in my left hand and knit back left handed english.
Wow -- that was really interesting. I hold the yarn in my left hand, but I throw it the same way she does. Haven't picked up the backwards knitting, yet, but now I really want to (well...next time I do something not in the round, that is!).

And I recognized Sarah's blog addy as one on our ring -- what's her username here, again?
#10 of 34 Old 06-29-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonamon View Post
And I recognized Sarah's blog addy as one on our ring -- what's her username here, again?
Sarah believe it or not.

Timmy's Mommy WARNING
yslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#11 of 34 Old 06-29-2007, 02:51 AM

Continental. I'm left handed, so it came pretty naturally. My MIL, who got me started, was Swiss and knitted continental.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#12 of 34 Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 AM

I voted continental but I really knit sorta combined, sorta eastern, sorta continental. Eh, it works out in the end.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#13 of 34 Old 06-29-2007, 05:13 PM

I can do both, but badly. being a crocheter first, continental is easier for me to wrap my head around, but my knitting friend only knits English so I have taken to doing it her way so she can show me how to do stuff more easily. Plus, I've found that it's really hard for me to get even tension when knitting left handed, so I end up with a sloppy FO
#14 of 34 Old 06-29-2007, 05:19 PM

I learned to crochet when I was 8, so when I was 20 & tried to teach myself to knit, I got REALLY frustrated because all the books had English method instructions and I couldn't get the hang of it. Then along came Stitch & Bitch and Continental instructions and I was off like I'd been born doing it. I've talked to other lifelong crocheters who want to learn to knit but "can't" and I tell them about Continental and it's like a lightbulb going off in their brains!
#15 of 34 Old 06-30-2007, 12:40 AM

I do English style, but I'm one of those weirdos who learned to crochet when I was like 8 years old and never got really good at it. At first knitting was strange because I was holding the yarn in my right hand, but I'm far better at knitting than I ever was at crochet and I get to use my limited crochet skills to make repairs when I mess up (I learned just over a month ago) or when I'm picking up stitches. So I'm finding knitting to be very enjoyable and I just love it really. I would like to see if I could wrap my head around continental style though. Just for the experience.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#16 of 34 Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 AM

I taught myself in English using Stitch 'n Bitch and made a bag and the very cute kitty hat.

Then I switched to Continental and made a scarf and I'm working on a baby hat.

I think that the Continental is easier on my wrists!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#17 of 34 Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 AM

I really have no idea. I work from left to right, get to the end of the row, flip it, and work from left to right again, w/ the yarn in my right hand technically I think. My mom showed me how to knit this past weekend (just the 2 basic stitches, it had been almost 30 years since she picked up needles) Its the most like how I do crocheting to me (which is all I've done for the past 12 yrs off and on) so its more comfortable for me I guess.
#18 of 34 Old 07-05-2007, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Both, but primarily Contintental.

When I am ribbing, casting off, doing a row in a solid colour, etc I use Continental. Most of my projects have several colours and I tend to hold one colour in each hand and knit that way.

The advantage to being able to do both is you can go twice as long when one of your hands begins to hurt.

Not that I have ever knit so long that my left hand has started to seize up or anything........ :
#19 of 34 Old 07-05-2007, 11:21 AM

i knit continental, because my Grandmother taught me that way. However, I never knew there was anything different until I took a knitting class at my LYS, and they told me! I can't knit eastern style to save my life. Too many years of continental I suppose!!!
mamarude
#20 of 34 Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 AM

My grandmother taught me to knit, and she's from Austria, so I learned continental.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#21 of 34 Old 07-05-2007, 03:03 PM

I started out Continental because I learned crochet first so that transition was easier. When I started getting pain in my left hand, I learned English to ease the pain. So I will switch between those two. When I saw that video of knitting backwards, I learned that (with the aid of a mirror) and that helped alot. So when I'm doing stockinette, I knit backwards instead of purling. I now hate ribbing because I'm forced to do the old fashioned purling still with that.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#22 of 34 Old 07-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Continental. That is how I taught myself (intuitively I guess). Kind of funny actually. My knitting teacher was showing us English style and I was knitting along and she walked by and ask what I was doing. I shrugged and showed her and after a couple of seconds she said "OH, you are knitting continental! I've never been able to do that!".

My mother crochets and knits "left-handed", so I probably am influenced by watching her (I never got beyond chaining with crochet because I hated it and she refused to show me how to knit because it is "boring", so I didn't get much textile learning from her).

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#23 of 34 Old 07-06-2007, 02:33 AM

A friend taught me the English style, then I didn't knit anything for about 6 months. When I picked it up again, I had to reteach myself and inadvertently taught myself Continental, not even knowing at the time that there were two different ways to knit. It just made more sense to me. Now I'm SO much faster than my friend!
#24 of 34 Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM

I'm another taught in english style, taught self continental. it is faster once you get it.
#25 of 34 Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm a beginning knitter and my grandma taught me English style. My friend (she's German) re-taught me knitting Continental style but I just never was able to get it.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#26 of 34 Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 PM

neither - Scottish.
#27 of 34 Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
neither - Scottish.
tell us more!
#28 of 34 Old 07-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Continental. I'm an impatient person and I read that continental was faster so that's the one I went with.
#29 of 34 Old 07-07-2007, 05:54 PM

continental. it's the way i learned and it just feels right to me.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#30 of 34 Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonamon View Post
tell us more!
Scottish: I hold the yarn with my left hand, pick rather than throw, and prop the left needle under my elbow or against a pillow. I can knit very fast, purling is more cumbersome like continental/german. I tried to purl with the yarn in front but it is hard for this old dog to learn new tricks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page