"Cardigan for Merry" KAL!! - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Arts & Crafts > "Cardigan for Merry" KAL!!
Megs_BK's Avatar Megs_BK 01:53 PM 07-02-2007
OK, folks, I'm jumping in and starting the KAL for the "Cardigan for Merry." The pattern and instructions are in two places:

First, the general sweater instructions:

http://annypurls.blogspot.com/2006/1...-merry_28.html

(I will send a note to Anny that we are linking to her and doing this sweater together!)

Second, you will need a copy of the 2006 Winter Interweaves magazine in order to get the cable chart from Kate Gilbert's "A Cardigan for Arwen."

I am using size 3 Inox metal circulars and the suggested yarn, KnitPicks Andean Treasure (in lagoon, which is what AnnyPurls used I think...). I tried using size 2 needles, but they were just wayyyy too small for this tight knitter.

I am a very beginner knitter, so am having some fun and some frustration figuring all of this out. I'm almost done with the back, but I'm sure some of you experts out there will have your back sections done before me anyway!

Aurora's Avatar Aurora 02:36 PM 07-02-2007
I still need to order my yarn. I am thinking I will use the KnitPicks Andean Treasure.

I do not have the Interweave issue but HoneyTree posted some great cable patterns and nausicaamom is working on one.
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 02:53 PM 07-02-2007
Daft question, but the Knitpicks is sock weight, right?

Oh, and I'm definitely in for the KAL I'm toying with the idea of knitting in Inca Cloud, or else a basic cashmerino-type stuff. I might have enough of my mystery wool left to do this though.
Hmm, decisions, decisions....
HoneyTree's Avatar HoneyTree 03:25 PM 07-02-2007
Yay! Thanks, Megs, for getting this thing started!

I'm going to have to size the Merry sweater up for a 3T, I think by using the cardigan variation on the custom knit raglan sweater, and I'm planning on using full belly farm yarn, which I think is thicker than the KP Andean Treasure. Anyone else making some serious modifications?
Aurora's Avatar Aurora 04:14 PM 07-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Daft question, but the Knitpicks is sock weight, right?

Oh, and I'm definitely in for the KAL I'm toying with the idea of knitting in Inca Cloud, or else a basic cashmerino-type stuff. I might have enough of my mystery wool left to do this though.
Hmm, decisions, decisions....
KP says it is a sport weight. I am knitting my dh some socks using sport weight right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
Yay! Thanks, Megs, for getting this thing started!

Here's the link to our original thread, with some great suggestions for modifications and links to those cable patterns.

I'm going to have to size the Merry sweater up for a 3T, I think by using the cardigan variation on the custom knit raglan sweater, and I'm planning on using full belly farm yarn, which I think is thicker than the KP Andean Treasure. Anyone else making some serious modifications?
I would love to knit one for my 3yo too. After I am done with this one(and after I see how it goes for you )I might tackle some modifications.

Megs, have you figured out the purl side decrease yet? I have not had a chance to work on it. I have been sitting here nursing my teething baby all morning.

I just ordered my yarn! I went with the KP Andean Treasure in the Moss Heather colorway.
3boobykins's Avatar 3boobykins 05:23 PM 07-02-2007
I might adapt this hooded vest pattern for ds, age7:

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure...specPCVID=8423

and do the cable in the same places, might do the buttons instead of a zipper. It calls for bulky weight, 3.5 sts/in, and I was thinking of using Cascade Ecological Wool, probably in chocolate brown. If it turns out well I'll make them for all my kids. I'm tired of doing sleeves, and I'm loving bulkier yarns lately.

I have a bunch of projects OTN, but I'm pretty sure I'll join this KAL--sounds like fun. And I haven't done cables yet (just swatches), and a cable project of some type was in my plans.

So I'm probably in! I need to order the yarn and pattern. I might order the IWK< but also might use a different cable. Not a total KAL, I suppose, but kinda.
HoneyTree's Avatar HoneyTree 08:49 PM 07-02-2007
It occurred to me that because the "wrong" side of the cable is so visible in this pattern (on the inside of the hood), that the cable pattern would have to be reversible. The IWK pattern is, but I don't think those links I posted are!
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 07:10 AM 07-03-2007
Sportweight? Heehee. I know of some yummy organic merino that's on sale
nausicaamom's Avatar nausicaamom 10:06 AM 07-03-2007
I do have the interweave issue and you make two cables on each side so it creates a facing. I"m hoping to make some time to get the cable charted and uploaded later this afternoon.

Add me to the camp of sizing it up - I'll be doing it as a 5T for my 3 year-old and then I want to do one in a newborn size for my bean in February - I'm planning on using EZ's percentage system. I also have to spend some time really reading the patterns because I can't wrap my head around how the continuous cable works with the hood without any visible grafting.

I probably won't be ready to CO for it until after the weekend as I have to dye some peace fleece for it - I'm thinking of doing it in a rusty-orange/brown as it really brings out the green in Michael's eyes.
Megs_BK's Avatar Megs_BK 01:11 PM 07-03-2007
i finished the back last night! You can really tell where I hit my stride with the decreases.

Aurora, Pumpkinseed posted some purl-side decreases as a comment on our Dingoknit blog. She found them in the Vogue ultimate knitting book. I really liked the second one -- where you slip a stitch purlwise, purl a stitch, then bring the slipped stitch back over the purled stitch.

I took a couple pictures of the back piece, but I didn't have any pins to straighten it out very well. Anyway, I'll be posting those on Dingoknits later. Must add that link to my siggy.
Aurora's Avatar Aurora 01:48 PM 07-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
It occurred to me that because the "wrong" side of the cable is so visible in this pattern (on the inside of the hood), that the cable pattern would have to be reversible. The IWK pattern is, but I don't think those links I posted are!
Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and ordered the IWK issue.

Quote:
Sounds scrumptious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaamom View Post
I do have the interweave issue and you make two cables on each side so it creates a facing. I"m hoping to make some time to get the cable charted and uploaded later this afternoon.

Add me to the camp of sizing it up - I'll be doing it as a 5T for my 3 year-old and then I want to do one in a newborn size for my bean in February - I'm planning on using EZ's percentage system. I also have to spend some time really reading the patterns because I can't wrap my head around how the continuous cable works with the hood without any visible grafting.

I probably won't be ready to CO for it until after the weekend as I have to dye some peace fleece for it - I'm thinking of doing it in a rusty-orange/brown as it really brings out the green in Michael's eyes.
I want to knit a 5T for my almost 4 year old too...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
i finished the back last night! You can really tell where I hit my stride with the decreases.

Aurora, Pumpkinseed posted some purl-side decreases as a comment on our Dingoknit blog. She found them in the Vogue ultimate knitting book. I really liked the second one -- where you slip a stitch purlwise, purl a stitch, then bring the slipped stitch back over the purled stitch.

I took a couple pictures of the back piece, but I didn't have any pins to straighten it out very well. Anyway, I'll be posting those on Dingoknits later. Must add that link to my siggy.
Yay!!! Good to know about the decreases. I cannot wait to start! I need to add the DingoKnits link to my sig too. Off to do that now.
AutumnMama's Avatar AutumnMama 02:07 PM 07-03-2007
Oh, I REALLY want to do this for my DS!

I might call around town and see about prices on Addi's, as I only have one pair of circulars but I lurve them

Hmm, maybe I can find some good yarn while I'm at it.

Any advice on where to get re-sizing info? I want to make this a 18 month-2T size so it'll fit DS longer (my kiddos are on the bigger/taller side).

ETA: Can this be done on circs? If so, what length should I use? I do prefer them to straight needles.

(Are these horribly newbish questions?? )
AutumnMama's Avatar AutumnMama 07:06 PM 07-03-2007
Oops, meant to start a new thread
poisonedapple's Avatar poisonedapple 07:50 PM 07-03-2007
Quote:
Do tell where!

I want to do this, but I need help in sizing this up, I'd like to make it for DS, and would need to do a size 5. But I'm afraid I haven't sized up anything of this nature to be able do it on my own. Anyone able to help with that part? If so I'm definitely in though I need to get some yarn first.
Glittergal's Avatar Glittergal 08:52 PM 07-03-2007
I'd also love to do it if someone can help size up. I need about a size 4
mommyddeville's Avatar mommyddeville 09:22 PM 07-03-2007
I've told myself I'm not joining a KAL because I don't need the frustration of not finishing on time. But this one is just calling to me. Very cute!
Megs_BK's Avatar Megs_BK 10:03 PM 07-03-2007
AutumnMama, I'm doing this on circulars -- not Addis, but close enough. Inox. They're cheaper than Addis and seem to be darn good.
3boobykins's Avatar 3boobykins 11:01 PM 07-03-2007
Knitpicks circs are great! They are similar to Addis, I've heard, some knitters prefer them. They have interchangeables and regular circulars. And they're not pricey at all. I got a size 8 to try when the puppy chewed up my bamboo one, and ended up ordering the interchangable set. I love them!
chrissy's Avatar chrissy 12:27 AM 07-04-2007
oooh, i want to make this! where can i order the iwk back issue with the cable chart?

and what is dingoknits? going to check the link in your sig aurora....
eta, i checked it out. cool! hey, i am a runner and a knitter too!
chrissy's Avatar chrissy 01:15 AM 07-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
I am using size 3 Inox metal circulars and the suggested yarn, KnitPicks Andean Treasure (in lagoon, which is what AnnyPurls used I think...).
megan, is lagoon a pale green, like a sage, or more of a bright kelly/limeish green?

i'm trying to decide between moss and lagoon.
nausicaamom's Avatar nausicaamom 01:31 AM 07-04-2007
Here is a link to a PDF with several cable charts. I included the 2 st moss border on either side of the cable as shown in the original pattern, but the border sts are not included in the total cable stitch counts. The original cable in the pattern is 20 sts wide (again w/o the border).

I'm planning on using the second six-stranded cable on the sheet for my sweaters. I'll most likely be adding a single column of slip stitches between the cables to aid in folding the facing over. I'm hoping to do up a swatch in the next couple of days and then I'll start on the 5T pattern.

Hope this helps
AutumnMama's Avatar AutumnMama 01:32 AM 07-04-2007
I ended up making a trip to my LYS and got some yarn from their sale shelves. 40% off

It's a wool/acrylic blend, worsted (I know, it's not sport...); I'm not thrilled about the acrylic part, but it was nice and soft, and affordable--800+ yards for $15.

I won a 16" #3 Addi circ on eBay too

ETA: Here's a link to the yarn I got.
chrissy's Avatar chrissy 02:08 AM 07-04-2007
Quote:
where????
chrissy's Avatar chrissy 02:08 AM 07-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaamom View Post
Here is a link to a PDF with several cable charts. I included the 2 st moss border on either side of the cable as shown in the original pattern, but the border sts are not included in the total cable stitch counts. The original cable in the pattern is 20 sts wide (again w/o the border).

I'm planning on using the second six-stranded cable on the sheet for my sweaters. I'll most likely be adding a single column of slip stitches between the cables to aid in folding the facing over. I'm hoping to do up a swatch in the next couple of days and then I'll start on the 5T pattern.

Hope this helps
thank you!!
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 08:34 AM 07-04-2007
chrissy:
www.jarbon.com
It's DK, but I can get gauge with it (I just checked.)
Aurora's Avatar Aurora 12:26 PM 07-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
oooh, i want to make this! where can i order the iwk back issue with the cable chart?

and what is dingoknits? going to check the link in your sig aurora....
eta, i checked it out. cool! hey, i am a runner and a knitter too!
Here is the link to the back issue: http://www.interweaveknits.com/backissues/W_06.asp

You should join us over in the Fitness and Weight Management forum. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=704856 I am a new runner and still working through a Couch to 5K program.
3boobykins's Avatar 3boobykins 12:40 PM 07-04-2007
I think I'm actually going to pass on joining this KAL--too much otn, and also don't want to spend the $ right now for the yarn and stuff. Plus, I wouldn't really be doing the same project as everyone else. But I did want to give the heads up that jimmybeanswool.com has the IWK back issue, and $4 flat rate shipping, so if you need yarn for other projects (or this one), other patterns, magazines, etc, that would be a good way to stretch your shipping value. They have a lot of Knitting Pure and Simple patterns in case anyone is sizing up and wants to use one of thier top-down cardigans as a jumping off point.

Have fun, everyone! I do plan to use that cable pattern at some time with the KPS vest. Just have to finish some other stuff first and spread out my spending a bit.
poisonedapple's Avatar poisonedapple 01:30 PM 07-05-2007
I think I'm going to make this in Shine, I happen to have a 6 or 7 of skeins, and I have to place another order that should be here by the time I'd run out of these. Since I'm hoping to do a size 5. Any idea how many skeins this might take?

Jenn, would you say the cable pattern you posted is easy enough for a beginner? I *think* I understand the concept of cable knitting, I've just never had a project to try it on. I'm planning to try this pattern, and probably will come back to the board with a question, once I get my stitches cast on to give it a whirl.
fallriverfox's Avatar fallriverfox 04:25 PM 07-05-2007
So, give me some advice. Could a dimwitted beginner handle this pattern? Because, my dd really needs this and I am really kind of new at this.
HoneyTree's Avatar HoneyTree 05:08 PM 07-05-2007
FRF, I'd say there a few new skills to learn, but nothing that a little tenacity can't pull you through!

So, my yarn is ordered, but full belly farm yarn takes a while to arrive, so in the mean time I am practicing making cables. My first attempt I dropped a stitch, and I almost never do that, but it was during the tight-knitting part of the twist so I know now to be careful! But I wanted to share my first cabled FO--a headband with a button closure in the back. I know the IWK pattern and nausicaamom's pattern are way more complicated (and beautiful!), but I felt the need to start slowly!
1 2  3  ... Last

Up