So who is learning to knit soakers? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 134 Old 08-17-2003, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to give it a go as well.... I'll try some of the free patterns first. I've printed off one or two, if anyone has any other (I got mine off the Yahoo group) please let me know where to find them....
Thanks
Chelly
#62 of 134 Old 08-17-2003, 09:36 PM

I'm ready to learn. I haven't knitted since I was nine and failed to do well at it- I am going to get a library book and start.

edited- got my book and needles and am almost done with my hot pad LOL. I think I'll try a hat before the soaker.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#63 of 134 Old 08-18-2003, 09:05 PM

Are there any websites that sell the wool everyone uses?

I've found a few but its all wool thats already dyed!

I'll be asking HOW TO DYE it next!

Thanks
Chelly
#64 of 134 Old 08-18-2003, 11:14 PM

I use Lion's brand fisherman's wool and I buy it locally at Michaels, Hancock, JoAnn's, or Hobby Lobby. You could order it from their online stores if you do not have a B&M store locally.
#65 of 134 Old 08-19-2003, 09:56 AM

www.marrharven.com is where I intend to buy my wool from. The prices are reasonable and the wool is natural.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#66 of 134 Old 08-19-2003, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by abigailvr
Thanks Aurora!

Don't be intimidated! I know some of it sounds complex at first, but once you start doing it, it's pretty easy. As pretty much a novice knitter I made it through mine. It's not perfect, but it's finished, which is more than I can say for my box of cross-stitch projects.
Thanks! I have read through it many times now and I feel a lot better. I still haven't gotten out to get the right size needles yet and I am chomping at the bit to get started!

I have a beautiful baby afghan pattern that I want to start too. I need yarn and needles for that as well. :

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#67 of 134 Old 08-19-2003, 06:19 PM

Thank you!
I picked up a skein of fishermans at my local Michaels - its pretty expensive..... ($8.99)

I can't get to the site MARRHARVEN.COM - I will try again later.

Chelly
#68 of 134 Old 08-19-2003, 06:29 PM

Do you have Fred Meyer? I'm pretty sure the Fisherman's wool there was $5.99.

#69 of 134 Old 08-19-2003, 07:19 PM

lol...that's cuz I typed it wrong: www.marrhaven.com

You ladies who are buying fishermans cool...is it chunky or just regular weight? We don't have any at Micheal's (ours only sells the wool-ease) and when I looked at the Hobby Lobby in the next town over, they only had this super-chunky looking Fisherman's wool. I thought it was too thick to use. So is that what you're using?

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#70 of 134 Old 08-19-2003, 08:04 PM

It is worsted weight not chunky. My hobby lobby only sells the worsted. That is weird. :
#71 of 134 Old 08-19-2003, 10:10 PM

I just started lessons at my local yarn shop and they teach you to knit a sweater- you can come in any time as often as it takes for $50- you can take up to a year to do it. I'm excited about it! As soon as I learn more I might try the soaker. My ds will be out of dipes by the time I'm profficient, I'm afraid- but then I can knit some for other people (if anyone I know uses cloth...)

#72 of 134 Old 08-20-2003, 09:57 AM

I'm so excited - I just finished my first LTK soaker last night, incidentally my first ever knitting or even yarncraft project! It's lovely, soft... and way too big for my kids. I sorta rounded up on the size and made a large because I feared it would take me until next summer to do it... I did it in like 2 weeks! It went so quickly!!! So I'll start another! I used Natural Wool brand wool for this one but in the future I am going to try Marr Haven too. It's the best price I've found and I love that it is so unprocessed. So hooray! I can KNIT!
#73 of 134 Old 08-20-2003, 11:02 AM

congrats serenity that was an inspiring post! DId you learn to knit first? How did you learn how to knit? Not via the pattern, I'm sure.
#74 of 134 Old 08-20-2003, 01:02 PM

Thanks! I sat down with my mom and learned the basics - cast on, knit, purl. Then she helped me do the gauge swatch and get started and the rest I figured out from the pattern. I am so proud I could burst.
#75 of 134 Old 08-20-2003, 02:18 PM

That is great Serenity! Wow! Do you think if I can now knit and purl but that's all that I could do the pattern while I take lessons on a sweater? Is the pattern easy to follow for someone without a mom to ask?

#76 of 134 Old 08-20-2003, 02:50 PM

Monica, I've got the ribbing and about 3" of the body of the soaker done and I started out only knowing how to cast on, knit and purl (and how to combine those two to make a stokinette stitch). I filled in the rest of the information (mostly translating the abbreviations) with a knitting book from the library. I'm still pretty intimidated by the amount of pattern remaining, but I'm confident that I can do it if I just take my time and read it carefully.

#77 of 134 Old 08-20-2003, 03:12 PM

Thanks, Charmie- that is really inspiring!!! I am going to do get the pattern. Happy knitting!

#78 of 134 Old 08-21-2003, 08:31 AM

Good for you Monica! Remember that you can get online help from Theresa's knitting circle - a great feature! I'll send newbie knitting vibes your way!

I just ordered the moc bootie pattern too! Hopefully it isn't too hard!
#79 of 134 Old 08-21-2003, 10:43 AM

Ok, now I'm really getting inspired ladies. I'm getting a pattern asap. I may go to Michaels today to check out the wool yarn selection. I think I just want to start with natural colored wool and play with koolaid dye when I finally get a soaker completed. I hope I have one finished by the time baby gets here in late Jan.
#80 of 134 Old 08-21-2003, 11:32 AM

[I had the exact same result as you did. So I threw mine in the hot wash and it came out beautifully! Shrank down to just the right size.

I think I'm also supposed to put it in the dryer as well to really felt it, but I was afraid it would end up being too small, so just left it as is. Anyway, am very happy with the result.

But since I don't know what I did wrong in the first place, am a little worried about the second soaker.

QUOTE]Originally posted by abigailvr

So I'm thinking I should felt this soaker. Does anyone know how to do that? Would it help the spots that are sort of loose and the stitches are a bit too open? [/B][/QUOTE]
#81 of 134 Old 08-21-2003, 01:34 PM

Yeah! I got the pattern and am going to buy wool today- so how do I dye the wool? I hope this hasn't already been answered- my kids are pushing the computer buttons and I can't look right now...

#82 of 134 Old 08-21-2003, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hapachick
I had the exact same result as you did. So I threw mine in the hot wash and it came out beautifully! Shrank down to just the right size.

I think I'm also supposed to put it in the dryer as well to really felt it, but I was afraid it would end up being too small, so just left it as is. Anyway, am very happy with the result.

But since I don't know what I did wrong in the first place, am a little worried about the second soaker.
I used it a couple of times for naps, and it worked well, so now I'm hesitant to do anything to it! Thanks for the tip thought.
#83 of 134 Old 08-21-2003, 01:51 PM

#84 of 134 Old 08-21-2003, 02:02 PM

Thank you!

#85 of 134 Old 08-23-2003, 02:07 PM

I have one soaker finished (from a free online pattern) and one LTK soaker halfway done. I liked the free pattern, but it was only one unspecified size, and it seemed kind of big. I like that the LTK pattern has such specific sizes (though I'm a dork and am too lazy to do gauge swatches )

ANYWAY, once a soaker is knit, do you lanolize it then? I'm using pre-dyed 100% wool, so I'm pretty sure it's quite processed.
#86 of 134 Old 08-23-2003, 02:48 PM

I lanolized mine once it was knit, and it has worked well the few times I I've used it. I only use it for naptimes, though, not overnight.
#87 of 134 Old 08-24-2003, 02:53 PM

I have more wool dying questions. My wool yarn should be here this week- it is in skeins- to dye it, I need to unroll the skein right-and re-roll it into a ball? Could I just knit the natural wool and dye the soaker later to make this easier- or is there an advantage to dyeing the yarn first?

#88 of 134 Old 08-24-2003, 04:01 PM

It really depends on the look you are going for. If you want a varigated yarn look you need to dye it before you roll it into the ball before you knit. You can do kind of a tye dye look after knitting. You can also do a kind of molted look with lights and darks before knitting. If you want one solid color, either will work but I have found that the color is solid if you have enough KA to completely cover the yarn or soaker. hth, ymmv.
#89 of 134 Old 08-24-2003, 04:42 PM

Thanks, Mindy. Now- one more super dumb question- if I choose not to pre-dye it, can I knit right from the skeins (Lions Fisherman's wool) or should I ball it anyway?

#90 of 134 Old 08-24-2003, 04:45 PM

I knit it right from the skein. I think some experts would suggest you not do that because it could mess up your tension because that ball just unwinds by itself. But what I do is just pull up on the yarn to unroll some of it and knit until it is tight agian then pull up again. I have never had any problems you just have to stop to do that. However, I am sure it takes less time than winding it into a ball by hand. IMHO of course.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page