So who is learning to knit soakers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2003, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got a "Teach yourself to Knit" kit, some cheap acrylic yarn, and the LTK soaker pattern, all in the hopes that someday I can dye and knit my own soakers. I know several other mamas were looking into doing this too... are ya here yet?

PS If you're just starting, I promise that after only a couple of days, the word PURL won't make you think of a strand of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2003, 10:18 PM

Yep... teaching myself to knit from a book also, in hopes of doing everything you've stated above.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:22 AM

already know how to knit, but want to do a soaker (or ten). I don't have any wool, but I read acrylic works. and I have a bazillion skeins of that. I was a yarn junkie before I found cute diapers.

I will be starting soon. I am finishing a baby sweater (for someone else) tonight, and may start tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:06 AM

I am on the last step of the LTK soaker and it wasn't hard at all! There were a few challenging steps, but it wasn't really that it was hard - I just didn't know how to do it. But Theresa was very available and prompt with all my questions so it didn't even take me as long as I thought it would!

I have the crotch seam to go now and it seems kind of intimidating so I've been procrastinating a bit, working on other stuff instead. : Also, my soaker is far from perfect but it will be fully functional! And after making one I think the next will be much better and faster so I'm excited to make another one as soon as I get this first one off my needles!

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
Old 07-04-2003, 09:30 PM

Me, me, me!!!

I bought a book and am slowly learning. I plan on rewarding myself with the LTK pattern when I can actually knit. :

Good luck mamas!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 07-05-2003, 06:33 PM

I'm SOOOOOO glad this thread got started!

I am doing this at the speed of a snail. I have sooo many other things going in my life right now, but I have always wanted to take up knitting. I used to knit scarves and potholders when I was little, but I've not done anything since except buy a few knitting books (which inevitably get sold off when they get too dated).

But the prospect of combining knitting with my love of wool soakers -- that was just too much to pass up! I have searched out several good books, joined the yahoo wool soakers group, printed out several free flat patterns to practice stitches with, bought my materials, set up a knitting basket and a knitting bag ... And I've wound my ball of practice thread, and practiced knitting a few rows ... But that's all I've had time for yet. I'm moving sooo slow.

This week, I hope to finish practicing casting on, casting off, knitting and purling with my acrylic practice yarn. I'd like to say I'm going to learn increases and decreases, but I have a work deadline (WAHM writer/editor) and I think that's too ambitious.

I hope we can keep this thread active as our little support group!
Old 07-06-2003, 04:06 AM

me too i bought the kit at walmart, along with some cheap acrylic yarn to start off with. i have been working on it off and on for about a week. i only have a couple more rows to do and then pull it all together. that's the part that i am not sure what to do with. i am using jenny adoptchina's pattern, it was really cute, and free to boot. i have found it really easy. i did have some difficulty at first with increasing but i fixed that.

anyone else?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:40 AM

I haven't been knitting, but I have been crocheting.

I keep messing up the legs, but I'm having fun anyway. No idea if the two that I've made will be functional, but I've only spent about $10 (including Kool-Aid for dying) so I don't feel too bad.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:25 PM

I tried knitting while I was pregnant... taught myself from a book. I quickly learned that knitting anything larger than a hankie was not for me. I put it on hold and I treasure my single unfinished blanket square.

Now that I've seen all the cute knit soakers I am starting to change my mind. My mom has promised to help me so I am on the lookout for a good free pattern
Old 07-06-2003, 05:09 PM

danaalex - is that free soaker pattern online somewhere? I'm considering the LTK pattern, but I'd rather not spend the money if there are good free patterns around. Espcially for my first try. I know how to knit, and I have 3 skeins of 100% wool from an old project, but I've never made or used a soaker before.

If anyone else has tried a free online pattern, I'd love to see the links!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:08 AM

We have a wonderful wool soaker group at yahoo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wool_soaker_group/

There you can find free patterns in the archives, plus support and pictures! I'm sure we'll get the same group here and there. (Including the wise and famous LTK mama Theresa.)

I'll tell you a secret... all the soakers I've made are from a free pattern there. I've made some adjustments (er, trade secrets you know) but it's right there for all to use! (Archived message #70 or check the files section.) It's very different from the LTK pattern. Bulkier. But it's free!

Happy knitting! (and purling, increasing, decreasing, casting on, etc)
Old 07-07-2003, 12:34 AM

Me too. I kept trying to crochet a cover, but it doesn't stretch enough so I decided to teech myself to knit. I am also using the free flat pattern until I get some money to buy the LTK one. I used yarn that I got on clearance that is 80% acrylic, 20% wool to try. I just finished my first one and I'm pretty happy with the results. I only tried it on ds once because it's going to be a gift for a friend's ds first b-day. But it seemed to work. I even crochet a fish and hook and sewed it on the back. Although I had some problems with the ribbing and where I sewed it up doesn't look too smooth.

Now I am addicted to knitting and wish I had more time. Ds's first b-day is Saturday and I don't think I will have his done in time.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:37 AM

Yup yup, I'm on the Yahoo list too ... But I just lurk there for the time being, since winding wool (cough, cough) is my great accomplishment so far. I thought I might actually find more slowbies like me here. :
Old 07-07-2003, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mamaste
Yup yup, I'm on the Yahoo list too ... But I just lurk there for the time being, since winding wool (cough, cough) is my great accomplishment so far. I thought I might actually find more slowbies like me here. :
Oh, ho ho.. you should come over and see my new Ball Winder and Umbrella Swift. Fancy gadgets help me get all my yarn organized into neat little balls! I keep digging old yarn out of my stash and neatening it up into clever little balls.

I can't wait to hear more about how everyone's soakers are coming out! Please post photos.

xo pam
Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM

So please enlighten me ... What horrors will befall me if I don't wind my wool skeins into a ball?
Old 07-07-2003, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mamaste
So please enlighten me ... What horrors will befall me if I don't wind my wool skeins into a ball?
see here:
http://www.tradewindknits.com/tbctrbal.html

nothing really bad will happen. probably. bwa ha ha.

gotta go to bed! Too many forums to read, ack!
Old 07-07-2003, 03:12 AM

Panda-- it's more like directions than anything else. i found it which looking and engineer mama's ( ?) website. it's jenny's soaker (jenny adoptchina). it's adorable and seemed to be the easiet to do. i just finished it and haven't decided if i am going to do a fancy little leg thing or not. i can't wait to try it on my daughter in the morning. i held it up next to our aristocrat and it seems to be the same size, so, hopefully it will work. i'll report back.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:12 PM

I'm so happy to see this thread!
I am knitting a guage for a soaker pattern a friend gave me that I think she may have gotten from a mama here. I am knitting it for our pediatrician who gave us a bunch of bumpy covers her son outgrew and I offered to knit her something as trade. She wanted a soaker and I am excited about trying it out so I can see how feasable it is and maybe make some for my 2 guys!
I am using a gorgeous hand spun wool she bought from a local organic farm, my plan is to knit loose and then felt it so she doesn't have to worry about felting it while using it. I am going to test how the yarn felts by making a soaker pad that I read about in another thread. It looks like any other soaker but you put it in between diaper layers (or I suppose between the diaper and the cover) in order to increase absorbtion. So basically I am knitting a long rectangle that I will felt and hopefully I will also have a useable soaker!
Best to all you knitting mamas!
Old 07-08-2003, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pamelamama
nothing really bad will happen. probably. bwa ha ha.
Well then!

I will let you know if I hear something howling or panting outside my window later tonight. ag
Old 07-09-2003, 07:33 PM

Hey everyone!

You're having a soaker knitting party! Woohoo!! Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about my soaker page:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/soaker.html

It has all the soaker patterns I know of. Please PM me if you know of any others.

Have fun knitting! You'll love it
Old 07-09-2003, 09:28 PM

My mom and I just bought this pattern (LTK). She is the knitter, I only crochet.. but it is never to late to learn

We still haven't received the link or password to download it.. so we were wondering how much yarn does it take?? We are looking at making some for my 22 month old and some for my soon to be newborn.

I LOVE all the advice I have read so far

Nina
Mom to Lianne 22 months and soon to be mom to Conor
Old 07-09-2003, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aslmere

We still haven't received the link or password to download it.. so we were wondering how much yarn does it take?? We are looking at making some for my 22 month old and some for my soon to be newborn.
Nina
Nina, did you buy her yarn as well? I bought two skeins of her hand dyed yarn, weighing in at about 4 oz a piece. I used less than 1/2 a skein (about 2oz) for a newborn cover and she guessed it would take about 3/4 (or 3oz) for a toddler size cover. I don't know the yardage on those, so I can't help you too much more than that. If I had to guess, I'd say that somewhere between 65-85 yards would be plenty for a newborn and maybe upto 125 for a toddler?

If you are really really new to knitting, I posted a bit more information on getting started on the DH and Knitting thread.

Amy
www.cyborgoddess.prettyposies.com
Old 07-09-2003, 11:53 PM

I also taught myself to knit recently. Not only for soakers but I have also done 5 dishcloths. They were easy but really increased my confidence. I didn't want to pay for the LTK pattern so I decided I would just give it a try on my own. I bought fisherman's wool at Hobby lobby, dyed it with lemonade, lime, and strawberry kool aid with extra water to make them pastels,and started knitting. I did ribbing at the top increased for the body and decreased at the legs. I have no idea if this is how Teresa's pattern works but I am very happy with it. I did a rolled cuff at the leg with a purl stitch in the round. The only thing I wish is that it was stretchier around the legs. I don't want to do ribbing. Any other suggestions?

Overall I am happy with it. I have done two now. The first one wasn't quite wide enough through the bottom but the second one is. I am having a lot of fun.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:07 AM

I also started a soaker from the LTK pattern (not too) recently. I feel like it's taking me forever, and I'm having trouble with the wrapping to insert the short rows. I keep ending up with little holes. I hope I figure it out on this soaker because I bought some wool from LTK too, and it's so pretty I want to make sure that the soaker I make from that one is usable.

I joined the Yahoo! group. Hopefully that will help!
Old 07-10-2003, 02:31 AM

I'll join the club, although I'm hoping to have to stop to have a baby.

I've never been too hot at yarncraft, but have always wanted to do something that I can carry with me. Now that I have a use for something knitted, I've asked Jason's grandmother (Nana) to teach me a little bit while she's here awaiting baby's arrival. I'm not too great at learning things like this from a book, so I'm hoping she can teach me some of the basics and then I can go from there.

No one in this town sells wool yarn, so if I make it to Tuesday and have to go to my MW appt. 1.5 hours away, I can stop at the yarn store the next town over and get some wool to play with. Until then, a friend who crochets is going to lend me some of her vast stash of acrylic to work with.

I'd REALLY love to be able to knit soakers b/c I have a wooly wonder that I love, but DH just about SHOT me when I spent that much money on a diapering article. I don't even spend that much money on clothes for me or him and we're adults who can wear things for years at a time!!

Anyway, nana gets here tomorrow, so I guess I'll be able to officially join the "learning to knit" ranks then .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 07-10-2003, 03:49 AM

well, our practice fits perfectly and is waterproof or something. my dd had on a cpf that was soaked but the knit cover was totally dry. i used acrylic yarn to make it. and i threw it in the washer and dryer with the rest of our dipes today. so, i am making one for the baby now !!!!!!! yeah !!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by abigailvr
I also started a soaker from the LTK pattern (not too) recently. ... I'm having trouble with the wrapping to insert the short rows. I keep ending up with little holes.
Try reading this (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATbonnetric.html) article and see if it helps, if not, come leave a comment on my blog and I'll try to get DH to take photos of me doing my short rows for the shorts I am making my daughter Cate (modified from the LTK pattern).

Amy
www.cyborgoddess.prettyposies.com
Old 07-10-2003, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaalex
i used acrylic yarn to make it. and i threw it in the washer and dryer with the rest of our dipes today. so, i am making one for the baby now !!!!!!! yeah !!!!!!!!!!

will you post the yarn size and needle size? I tried it on 6's with sport, and my swatch leaked a little. I just need a ballpark, so maybe I can avoid trying every needle I own
Old 07-11-2003, 03:44 AM

cassdarrow, i would love to tell you those things however, i have no idea!!!!!! i bought a how to knit kit from walmart and it came with 2 sets of needles. all i know is that they are blue. also, i just grabbed cheap white yarn. sorry!!!! i really do wish i could help you

okay, i just checked the needles, i had a hunch the number would be there, and it was. size 6 needles and the yarn is 100% acrylic worsted weight 4ply or something like that, the cheap stuff at walmart.
hth !!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 11:08 PM

I have those!

User Tag List