Sewing mamas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you ever use organic thread for wipes, doublers, or diapers? I'm wondering how it would hold up to serious diaper washing...if not organic, what about 100% cotton thread?

What is the woolly nylon~is it just made of nylon? (this could be in the stupid ?? category...)and is it used mostly because it is cheap or because it is more durable that natural fibers?

One more...is there a such thing as wool thread?
TIA!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#2 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 12:46 AM

I don't really know about the cotton or organic thread.. I've never looked for it. I have it in my head that cotton thread with fibers long enough to be strong would be expensive.. and organic thread would be WAAAAAYYYYY expensive... but I could be wrong. The reason I myself use woolly nylon is for a few reasons..
#1 being that it's soft. I thought thread was thread until I actually compared how the woolly felt compared to the just regular thread when I serged something... there's a difference.
#2 being that it's pretty.. it fills in the space nicely and they offer pretty colors.

Woolly nylon is NOT inexpensive.. it can actually be quite a bit more expensive than just normal cone thread yard for yard.. but I feel it's worth it because it gives a softer feel and more pleasing appearance. As far as I know, it's 100% nylon.. literally plastic.. it'll melt if ironed at a high enough temp. but it does seem quite durable.

Never thought about wool thread, but again, I think it might be difficult to get long enough fibers to make a strong thread and if so, then it would be extrememly expensive. But hey, never hurts to do a search and let us know what you come up with .. very interesting.

Amber
#3 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 02:33 AM

Good question! I found some huge cones of 100% cotton thread for $4.99 but I wondered about the durability. Nice muted earth colours too.

They have a "textured nylon" type too, would that be another term for "wooly nylon' or 'fleecy nylon' (which I buy here)? They have lots of colours.
#4 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 02:51 AM

You can buy 100% organic cotton thread from here:
http://store.nearseanaturals.com/nea...ategory=Thread
They're industrial sized cones, so I'm sure one would last for a *long* time.
#5 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

I got that info from a coop I'm in. I was wondering more though if mamas actually use it for things like diapers/doublers...if it can hold up to lots of washings. Thanks though.
Amber thanks for the info...it just always seems weird to me to have organic cotton/hemp dipes to have them serged in plastic. KWIM?

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#6 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tippytoes26
I don't really know about the cotton or organic thread.. I've never looked for it. I have it in my head that cotton thread with fibers long enough to be strong would be expensive.. and organic thread would be WAAAAAYYYYY expensive... but I could be wrong. The reason I myself use woolly nylon is for a few reasons..
#1 being that it's soft. I thought thread was thread until I actually compared how the woolly felt compared to the just regular thread when I serged something... there's a difference.
#2 being that it's pretty.. it fills in the space nicely and they offer pretty colors.

Woolly nylon is NOT inexpensive.. it can actually be quite a bit more expensive than just normal cone thread yard for yard.. but I feel it's worth it because it gives a softer feel and more pleasing appearance. As far as I know, it's 100% nylon.. literally plastic.. it'll melt if ironed at a high enough temp. but it does seem quite durable.

Never thought about wool thread, but again, I think it might be difficult to get long enough fibers to make a strong thread and if so, then it would be extrememly expensive. But hey, never hurts to do a search and let us know what you come up with .. very interesting.

Amber
Yep, Amber you said it ALL! Unfortunately, in order to be durable, it's best to use a poly or nylon thread. I'm liking Aulilux threads lately, but they're 100% poly as well. Cotton just doesn't hold up. And the organic thread is SOOOOO expensive!

Also, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that "standards" (wooly nylon in this case) are used because they're cheap. Like Amber said, WN is actually pretty expensive! The retail on the variegated cones is more than $7. And that Aurilux thread I was talking about ~ $9/cone!!!! Anyway, I think you'll find the opposite to be true ~ most diaper WAHM's are using the BEST products on the market because they're tried and true!
#7 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 03:45 AM

Quote:
I think you'll find the opposite to be true ~ most diaper WAHM's are using the BEST products on the market because they're tried and true!
I totally agree!

Every once in a while - and I am sure every wahm has been here -you buy something 'cause it's too good a deal to pass up, or you buy something different/unknown because it's so much cheaper; and you end up with problems!
#8 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 08:24 AM

Moderator's Note
The moderating staff and board administrator have decided that Diapering threads regarding sewing are going to be moved over here to sewing and crafts.

The purpose behind this being to help these threads receive more attention/responses by staying on the first page of the forum for more than a few seconds (as we all know how many pages of threads we go through a day in Diapering). :LOL

The request for a place to talk about diaper sewing and all things connected has been requested over and over. As we already had a crafts forum, it has been changed to sewing and crafts to meet this need.

This thread has been moved with a re-direct from Diapering so that other Diapering mommas can see it and link over.

#9 of 9 Old 07-04-2003, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't mean to imply that diaper sewing mamas were using the poly thread because it was cheaper, I was asking if it was cheaper. Thanks for all the input mamas!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page