#61 of 96 Old 10-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mom- a crocheted throw blanket
Sister 1- can't tell you, she might check... still not really sure
Sister 2- crocheted blanket I promised her last year
DD- crocheted hat and scarf and a fleece poncho
DS- matching bracelet and necklace(he keeps wearing a hair tie on his wrist... so I want to give him a little more style) and a fleece poncho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 96 Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM

I have a lot of home made things on my list. Here goes:

DD- knit mermaid, play silks, Swing Thing sweater and a pair of socks
DS- a rainbow of Woodins and their little log home, play silks,socks and a sweater
DP- socks and a hat
Mom- sweater
my neices and nephews (aged 9- 6 mo)- a rainbow of play dough, felted crowns, maybe playsilks, haven't decided
DD's pre-k teacher- washcloths
family swap gift- hand towels (2) and matching washcloths

I think that's every thing. The list is subject to change. Things may get dropped as I run out of time.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#63 of 96 Old 10-14-2007, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just finished this pillow (here's the back) - made from recycled thrift store sweaters. I felted them, cut them and hand sewed them together. The pattern is in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Felt-Ea...415643&sr=8-10

Not sure who I'm giving it to yet, though.
#64 of 96 Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 AM

Hip Gal if I made something that beautiful, it would be Merry Christmas to me. It's gorgeous!
#65 of 96 Old 10-15-2007, 02:18 AM

There are some great ideas here

Last year I bought a 3 ring binder, and made a cookbook for SIL. I used lots of old recipes,fabric,ribbon, buttons, made collage pages out of them, and she still raves about it. Don't know about this year yet
#66 of 96 Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 PM

I am making soap, lip balm, and lotion.
#67 of 96 Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM

so far, I'm thinking of caramel popcorn for ss teachers, people at DH's work, neighbors. I'm also thinking of doing cookie trays and maybe quick breads. I think I'm mainly doing food gifts this year bc I don't think people need more "stuff". If they don't like the food, they can put it out for guests.
For my sil, sis and their families, I just don't know yet. Last year I made choc chip cookie dough, rolled it in a log, wrapped it up, froze it, and gave it to my sil with the recipe to bake the cookies. She really liked this as she is always buying the dough from those fundraisers to make cookies with. Maybe I'll do that for a few people, hmmmm....

I also need to make things easier on myself this year so I can enjoy the holidays with my kids more. I am really into streamlining the gift making process, so I want to give similair gifts to everyone.
#68 of 96 Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 PM

I've been working mittens for forever. Last year, though, I made did some picture frames with little embellishments. They were easy, inexpensive and cute!! I can't seem to post a picture, but you can see them here.
#69 of 96 Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 AM

GroovyMom, thats a cool idea. I like them!
#70 of 96 Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
There are some great ideas here

Last year I bought a 3 ring binder, and made a cookbook for SIL. I used lots of old recipes,fabric,ribbon, buttons, made collage pages out of them, and she still raves about it. Don't know about this year yet
We did a similar thing, also for my SIL! She is a big fan of cooking in a Dutch oven over an open fire, apparently an entire subculture exists around this type of cooking, so we made her a D-O cookbook. We printed and spiral-bound it, put in fun graphics of cowboys cooking on the "range," divided it into sections like Breakfast, Dessert, Game, etc -- and now I think we can never live up to that gift again!
#71 of 96 Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM

I'm making photo quilts for the grandparents of the kids, and for my sis and her hubby of their family
for others, not sure, maybe soap etc.... dh wants to make a spring board for dd in gymnastics, and a floor piece for dd in tap - and i'm going to make them rag dolls
ds should be 6 weeks by then - maybe a soft wool toy, blanket
and if dh has time i would like if he'd make some more wood toys

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#72 of 96 Old 10-21-2007, 02:37 AM

I am just really getting started making my gifts this week. So far here is what I am making.

DH
-Striped black and grey scarf (just started this)

DD
-A box of balls- I am making a variety of felted balls and a bunch of quilted balls. (made the quilted ones so far)
-A knotted doll
-taggie blanket
-beanbags
-Felted play food
-Playsilks

Mother
-Apron
-Picture collage on Photoshop
-scarf (just started)
-Heirloom Family recipie book

Sister #1
-Scarf (finished)
-Tie blanket

Sister #2
-Scarf (finished)
-Homemade purse (just need to find a pattern)

I am so excited about christmas this year!! It is going to be great! I feel so great about the gifts I am giving. It takes the pressure of spending off!! yay

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#73 of 96 Old 10-21-2007, 11:50 PM

Crunchydoula, how do you make the quilted balls?

I would like to make some felted balls with bells, shakers, etc, inside for my neice, and quilted ones sound like fun too.

Thanks,
Monica
-- for two years and counting! and
#74 of 96 Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 AM

I used this pattern and made dd a ball for her bday out of some cute flannel and put a jingle bell inside...not sure if that's like the quilted balls crunchydoula made, but it might help!
http://www.sewnews.com/library/sewne...es/aatoysb.htm

So far I'm planning

sister1:cloth napkins
husband and bil's, fil: fabric remote caddy for recliners.
niece and nephew: bean bag set
nephew: some kind of Knight outfit...I saw some neat ones in Nova natural I'd like to try and sew

I thought about some whole grain muffin or pancake mixes in fabric bags for the sil's...not sure if they'd like/use them but they're tough to shop for...

My cup overflows with a wonderful husband and two beautiful daughters and another on the way in April 2012! 

#75 of 96 Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatefix View Post
Crunchydoula, how do you make the quilted balls?

I would like to make some felted balls with bells, shakers, etc, inside for my neice, and quilted ones sound like fun too.

Thanks,
Monica
-- for two years and counting! and
I found a pattern on a craft blog, don't remember the name. But you cut out 12 Pentagram shapes out of different fabrics of your choice. You then designate a center piece and sew 5 additional pentagrams to the center piece. Then do that with the other 6 as well. Then you sew them together leaving an area to stuff it with a washable filler. It was really simple and I can make it in about 30 mins, with a toddler running around

They really did turn out cute. I messed up the first one and accidentaly sewed the points together so I ended up with a star fish, but I really like it and may make a few more.

I will post a pic in a sec

Here is the pic

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...edBalls003.jpg

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#76 of 96 Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 PM

Crunchy Doula- Here is a fun clutch purse pattern. I have also made it with a short shoulder strap for my girls.

http://www.kwiksew.com/Projects.cfm

I haven't decided for sure what to do for my kids but this thread has been great for ideas. We always do handmade for Christmas. With the size of our family we also draw names so our kids end up with 3 things each, 1 from "Santa" 1 from Mom and Dad and 1 from whomever drew their name. It keeps it simple and everyone is pleased. Each child is able to spend a bunch of 1 on 1 time with mom or dad as we help them make their gift.

Have fun creating!
Sarah
#77 of 96 Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 PM

We just bought our first house and money is tight, so all our gifts will be handmade.

DS - Play kitchen (converted from a small shelf that I bought at a yard sale for $1) (Still in progress)
- assorted felt food (made from felted thrift store sweaters) (Done)
- Chef's apron
- fabric activity book with zippers, buttons, velcro and pockets (made from scrap fabric) (Done)
- Stuffed Kudama (it's a character from Princess Mononoke) (more scrap fabric) (In progress)
- Bean bags (more scrap fabric)

Sister - Handbag (made from old T-shirts) (done)
- wrist warmers (made from old T-shirts)
- Funky skirt (made from old T-shirts)

Mother/MIL/SIL - lap quilts (made from fabric salvaged from thrift store clothes) (I'm about halfway done with these)
- Homemade spa kits (with soap, knitted washcloth, bath salts, and eye bag) (Partially done)

All my friend's toddlers are each getting homemade baby legs (All done)

Nephews - knitted mittens (Done)

DH - knitted socks

Not sure what to make FIL or BIL. I may leave that up to DH. I think my nephews need something more too...what do you make for 8 and 10 year old boys? I'm also not sure what else to make for DH...what we really need is some quality time alone .
#78 of 96 Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 PM

Oh, I almost forgot the calendars I made for Inlaws and my mom using pictures of ds.
#79 of 96 Old 11-04-2007, 01:35 AM

I took a bottle cap art class so my DD's friends are getting cute disney princess zipper pulls. Hope their mom's don't mind the corona bottle caps

My girlfriends, teachers, and my mom will get bottle cap magnets. I have a bunch curing in the oven right now (no heat, just the oven light).

I was also thinking about making some altered books if I have the energy and time
#80 of 96 Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post

Sister - Handbag (made from old T-shirts) (done)
- wrist warmers (made from old T-shirts)
- Funky skirt (made from old T-shirts)
Would you tell me more about these?Or if they're done would you post a pic?I'm super into the old t-shirt idea!I have a simple small bag in the works but I'm kinda stuck on the handle.

#81 of 96 Old 11-04-2007, 06:31 PM

I am making bed warmers for several people, a skirt for my niece, maybe jammies for my kids and some of the cousins, draft dodgers for my Mom, and pot holders.
#82 of 96 Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 AM

The one I'm most proud of is for my SIL - it's this really funky apron w/ a skull-and-crossbones pattern and lace...she's kind of a punky rockabilly chick, so she'll appreciate the 50-ness of an apron and the punk-ishness of the pattern, I hope! It's going to be a cupcake themed gift, with that apron, and four cupcake mixes (all the dry ingredients mixed together w/ instructions on how to make), a recipe box, and a pincushion that looks like a cupcake also. I was going to put it all in a cupcake tin (roll the apron up all cute-like and put the mixes in little mason jars and doll it all up). My *signature* cupcake recipe calls for raspberry frosting and dark Scharfenberger chocolate grated on top, so I was going to get her a little bar of that chocolate (don't make me type that again! ) and the raspberry extract, because that's not something everyone has in their cupboard, as well as some cupcake liners.

For mine and DP's bosses, we're doing hot chocolate mixes in a mug w/ a chocolate-dipped spoon.

Cookies and sweet breads, soup mixes, dog biscuits for the canine lovers on our list, framed handprints of DD, ornaments, picture calendars from Shutterfly and bath salts.
#83 of 96 Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 PM

OK - I know I posted this elsewhere, but I gotta show it off. :-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25995446@N00/

My first tree-dollhouse (doll-treehouse?) was such a success that my daughter wants to "help" me make more for her cousins. I invested one buckthorn tree (nasty invasive species), perhaps four to six hours of work, and six dollars for a pulley and two saw blades. It's got to be the most fabulous toy for the least amount of money I've ever done.

The other thing we've been making for cousins is play food for their dollhouses out of sculpey. My mom knits lots of children's sweaters, so I'm making her some hand-dyed yarn (the yarn was garage-sale stuff), and some cheerful buttons made out of sculpey too.

I love all the ideas in this thread, and I'm getting really inspired! I'm so happy that I'm getting started early enough this year to actually make things! Thanks, everyone!
#84 of 96 Old 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaberg View Post
Beautiful stuff!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#85 of 96 Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 PM

isaberg - WOW! Gorgeous stuff! Good job.
#86 of 96 Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Would you tell me more about these?Or if they're done would you post a pic?I'm super into the old t-shirt idea!I have a simple small bag in the works but I'm kinda stuck on the handle.
Rere, I'd love to show you pictures, but I recently moved and I'm not sure which box I packed the Christmas gifts that I finished earlier this summer. Sorry.

But I can direct you to the book that I got these ideas from...it's called "Generation T: 108 ways to transform a T-shirt" by Megan Nicolay. I found it at the bookstore down the street, but I'm sure you could find it on Amazon or maybe even the library. There are all sorts of clothing ideas, as well as hand bags and home furnishings too. I highly recommend it!
#87 of 96 Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 AM

:

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#88 of 96 Old 11-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Rere, I'd love to show you pictures, but I recently moved and I'm not sure which box I packed the Christmas gifts that I finished earlier this summer. Sorry.

But I can direct you to the book that I got these ideas from...it's called "Generation T: 108 ways to transform a T-shirt" by Megan Nicolay. I found it at the bookstore down the street, but I'm sure you could find it on Amazon or maybe even the library. There are all sorts of clothing ideas, as well as hand bags and home furnishings too. I highly recommend it!
That sounds great!Thanks!

#89 of 96 Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM

Bump

#90 of 96 Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaberg View Post
OMG!!! I am SO !!!!

What kind of tools are required for the nesting googlies that you made? I would love to be Oh the Copycat!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page