DH and Knitting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might be OT . . . not sure.

I really want to make my own wool soaker. Bought a book, a pair of knitting needles, and got lost on step one of casting. Guess who I asked to help (my title gives it away)? My DH! He doesn't know how to knit, but he's just so good at solving problems and he figured it out. In one night, we've learned basic knitting (is it basic or is it "just" knitting? ) and have started on purling. Still takes concentration and isn't too pretty, but we're on our way. My DH actually admitted that it's addictive. Shh . . .I'm not supposed to tell!

Anyway, who can give me an estimate of how difficult the LTK pattern is for a very, very inexperienced knitter? Will it take me weeks, months, or years to get good enough to make a decent one if I practice regularly?

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#2 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 02:03 AM

nope i would say you are ON TOPIC you are taliking about KNITTING A SOAKER......... my DH is like this too he showed me how to sew : he is good at stuff like that..... i have to be shown and reshown how to do stuff like that....... congrats to DH and his new hobby.......:LOL
#3 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 02:04 AM

Once you learn to increase and decrease you will have it made! I just got the pattern a few days ago and haven't had time to actually sit and DO anything with it but I've looked it over and I understand it even without having knitted anything but the basic knitting stitches!
#4 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 02:05 AM

Elena, it has only been recently, but we have been moving all the diaper sewing/knitting threads over to Sewing and Crafts,
There's been a good amt. of traffic over there and I think you'll get a better response from the knitting moms!
#5 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 02:23 AM

Congrats on taking up knitting... it's so much fun, oh so addictive, and relaxing to boot, isn't it?? That's cute that your hubby could help you... my husband says he might want me to teach him. lol
#6 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 01:15 PM

:LOL

My 5yo ds wants to learn too.

Thanks for the info on the LTK soaker pattern. I can knit and purl too(I'm a beginner)and am chomping at the bit to buy the pattern. Increasing and decreasing huh? OK-I'll get right on it!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#7 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, mamas! DH will feel better knowing he's not the only knitting guy out there (even though I wasn't supposed to tell in the first place!).

I looked at the LTK soaker and whoa . . .it's a lot to take in on my 2nd day of knitting, but even the knitting is getting significantly better.

Patience, patience.

And, Mattia, I'm in Chicago!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#8 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mizelenius
And, Mattia, I'm in Chicago!
What part?? *Please say North side*
#9 of 10 Old 07-08-2003, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mizelenius
This might be OT . . . not sure.

Anyway, who can give me an estimate of how difficult the LTK pattern is for a very, very inexperienced knitter? Will it take me weeks, months, or years to get good enough to make a decent one if I practice regularly?
If I were you, I wouldn't start off with the pattern, but with what we call a swatch. Cast on 30 stitches (see link here (http://www.craftown.com/knitlesson.htm) if you need help along the way). Knit back and forth on those 25 stitches till you can do it without looking. Believe it or not, that will not take that long - your fingers will learn quickly, I promise. When your swatch is as long as it is wide, bind off (again see picture from link above). Save this swatch!

Next, cast on 30 stitches and knit the first row, pearl the second and repeat until piece is as long as it is wide. Bind off. Now, get out your measuring tape. You want to measure a 4" square (if you've got less than 4" total, do a 2" square) somewhere within your swatch. (See knitty article here on swatching, scroll down to measuring photo: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/FEATswatchout.html). You want to count how many stitches you get to the 4" (2") sample. Theresa's LTS pattern calls for 22 stitches and 30 rows to 4" of knitting. Are you close to that? If you have too few stitches, try a smaller needle, too many stitches (like 24 say) try breathing between each stitch to losen up your tension a bit, if you are at 26 or above, get bigger needles.

Why bother with these steps? For my first two projects, I totally skipped this process - the first thing I made was one of those cute little fruit hats, which would only fit a very, very small teddy bear. The second project was supposed to be a bunting for a 1 month old, but Cate (at a hefty 18 months) still doesn't fit into it. I spent a lot of time and love making those useless projects and I learned my lesson, now I make a swatch.

I also keep my swatches in a bag, so I can go back and look at them if I return to the yarn after an absence or you can eventually sew them all up and make a blanket!

Finally, once you've cast on and bound off a few times, you will have already increased and decreased, so following Theresa's instructions shouldn't be too hard. Again see the first link for a second set of directions.

Good luck,
Amy
www.cyborgoddess.prettyposies.com - where I blog about being a mom and knitting
#10 of 10 Old 07-11-2003, 02:52 AM

my dh called me a big dork when i started knitting two weeks ago. he said, that's for old people!!! oy vey, some men. i think it is very relaxing. the repetition is soothing to me, not sure why. i can sit at night and knit for two hours before i realize it's almost one am and i need to go to bed. he does think that the knitting is better then me sitting at the computer on mdc all night. men, what do they know.

mattia-- i was born and raised in evanston and glenview. my grandparents are still in wilmette. i am going to try and get up that way for a visit this fall. i miss it sooooo much. i would move back to evanston in a heart beat. have you ever heard of merle's (ribs)? my dad's all time favorite restaurant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page