Where do you find this fabric? (diaper related) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-06-2003, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you buy your PUL from? Is there any other waterproof fabric I should consider before I start sewing AIOs?

Burly Knit Terry? How does this differ from the terrycloth bathtowels in my linen closet? :LOL The terrycloth that I've found in fabric stores doesn't even seem as nice as what I use to dry the dog off with when it rains....:

I had more questions, but they have slipped my mind...Must be this beautiful Alaskan weather!
#2 of 7 Old 07-06-2003, 08:41 PM

I haven't bought any...yet.
But here are the two websites I've looked at and bookmarked for future reference:
http://www.sewshoppe.com/index.shtml
http://onestopdiapershop.com/

But definitely do your research before buying. I know there are certain fabrics that I prefer to use that I can get cheaper locally when it comes to making my slings. Maybe they are priced higher online because there's more of a demand for them than in a local market?
#3 of 7 Old 07-06-2003, 08:43 PM

I see no reason not to use bath towels as soakers in your dipes I do they are more absorbent IMO than the terry you can buy at a fabric store. But now I'm switching to Hemp fleece Should have my order next week

I don't use PUL, just fleece, but you can check www.diapershop.com and see what she has instock.
#4 of 7 Old 07-06-2003, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I get most of my pul from Janelle's PULs Janelle is a sweetie There are other on-line shops that carry it, but I use breathable and she's the only one that carries what I use. You can also have your own fabric laminated, sometimes there are co-ops who will collect all the fabric and send it in together to get a better price, or, if you have a big piece, you can send it in yourself to Fabrite

Burley knit terry is more like what baby hoodie towels are made of, only MUCH thicker, they use a yarn that's closer to what sweaters are made of. It's very cushy and abosorbent. I like it becasue it's a knit and stays pretty soft and flexible and you don;t need to use much cause it's so thick I get mine from the One Stop Diaper Shop, and like other's said, she's got lots of other goodies (

I also just got some of the new hemp terry from HempTraders and it is AWESOME!! Kinda pricey, but so worth it! We are thinking of replacing all of our bath towels with it

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#5 of 7 Old 07-07-2003, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvMy2Kidz
I see no reason not to use bath towels as soakers in your dipes I do they are more absorbent IMO than the terry you can buy at a fabric store. But now I'm switching to Hemp fleece Should have my order next week

I don't use PUL, just fleece, but you can check www.diapershop.com and see what she has instock.
Bath towels (or regular terry toweling which can be found at Joann's) tends to get really stiff over time. Like, board stiff! LOL

Try jannelle's pul's for PUL; she has good prices.
#6 of 7 Old 07-07-2003, 03:07 AM

In my experinece, bath towels won't stiffen up if you throw all of your dipes in the dryer for 5 minutes before hanging them to dry. For my friend with a baby who really soaks, I used one whole hand towel folded in fourths.
The terry at the fabric store is compressed because it is still on the bolt. After a wash, it will bounce right up and be soft.

Steph, Mommy to Sebastian Xavier (02/13/02)
#7 of 7 Old 07-07-2003, 03:28 AM

I have never been disappointed in my PUL from www.sewshoppe.com. She has 2 prints available right now -- both very cute (and that's hard to find). I've purchased a couple others in the past so I assume she gets new ones in periodically. She ships incredibly quickly, too.

PUL is probably the most worry-free readily available waterproof fabric for diaper sewing. You can use water resistent fabrics like fleece or wool, too. It really depends on what you're looking for in the finished product. I've located other types of waterproofs in local fabric stores but none have been approved for washing (they are all either wipe clean or dry clean). Not very practical for diapers.

I wonder if they print the weight of the terry on the bolt in the fabric store?? I think the BKT you get online is 22 ounce?? I am thinking the fabric store stuff is a lot lighter than that. I am not sure if that means you get less absorbancy and as a result end up having to use more layers and ending up with more bulk. Something to check next time I'm at JoAnn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page