How about a sew and show thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-07-2003, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sophie is napping but I just got done making her a sweet summer dress. What have you guys been working on? Would anyone be interested in a S&S?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 12:36 AM

I just finished a dipe for david... hes currently peeing in it tho..lol

& fixen to start one for Kay..

I might start on a dress tomorrow though
#3 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 01:12 AM

Sounds like fun!

I'm working on a diaper pattern now, so I don't know when I'll have a finished project to show... but I'll participate if the timing is right, and yall are still showing your work when I'm done.
#4 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 01:21 AM

I just finished a nifty purse set (well... I think it's nifty) and a matching diaper (of course) for B. I have photos uploaded. Should we post them here? I'd love to see what you guys have been making!
#5 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 05:49 AM

I finished a quilt last week. It was 45" square.

on the front is 5 rust and 4 forest green blocks; the rust ones were quilted with big stars and the green ones each have a button in the centre. The backside is navy/white plaid.

I took pics and should have the film in this week sometime when I finish photographing this weeks' diapers/covers.

I was really pleased with how it turned out, for my first quilt and all
#6 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 09:38 AM

Bug Bag

Flower Bag

These are my two most recent projects. The Bug Bag is the one I was lamenting the size of, but I made myself a smaller one just like it and LOVE it. The flower bag I still haven't finished entirely (need to make the wet bag and bind the changing pad).

I'm trying not to start any new projects with baby being due so soon, but I'm also bored sick, so who knows...I might just start cutting and sewing something else soon. I'm considering buying an Elizabeth Lee nursing pattern, too (there's one that I think doesn't look as frumpy as the rest).

I also need to finish up my friend's crib set, so I guess if I get bored waiting to go into labor, I have plenty of things I could be doing .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#7 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 01:51 PM

I made two flannel/knit terry washcloths last night with my serger. Pretty exciting, eh? But I am going to make a baby blanket tomorrow and I would love to show it to you guys and get some opinions. How do I post pictures?
#8 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 03:39 PM

:::::::::::gasp:::::::::::::::: Charlotte, those bags are gorgeous!! I am SO ashamed of my pitiful first attempts now!!

I did everything so halfway -- when I just wanted it to look like YOURS! Do you have any tips? What kind of fabric are you using for the liner? I am just winging it and trying to figure out the engineering of it all. I am still not sure how to get the entire bag lined properly.

Here is what I did...
#9 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 03:42 PM

Let me add... and you can totally laugh at me if you'd like... but the only idea I had for lining the bag was to make another shell and put it inside the bag then topstitch them together. Is that ridiculous or am I on the right track at all?
#10 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 07:04 PM

Andrea, those weren't my first attempts at diaper bags. The first one got thrown away b/c I was going w/o a pattern!! I went and bought a Simplicity pattern specifically for diaper bags and lemmie tell ya...having instructions REALLY helped b/c I'm not too good at figuring out things on my own w/o a pattern or at least a starting point!

For the lining, I'm just using cotton quilting fabric from Wal-Mart. I'd love to use something a little more sturdy, like oil cloth, but since I spent so much $$ on the upholstry fabric for the outside, I needed to be reasonable for the lining. Everything is machine washable, though, so the quilting fabric shouldn't be an issue.

And yes, your idea of making two of the bag and then topstitching them together is exactly how I do lining. Same concept when you're lining a dress: make two and sew them together wrong sides together .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#11 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 07:11 PM

I loev all the bags! very nice!

now off too look for fabric to make a bag..lol
#12 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 07:40 PM

Awesome, Charlotte! Thanks for the confirmation. I don't feel nearly as silly now. I would really love to have that pattern. Sewing this without a pattern sure took a lot of brainpower.
#13 of 13 Old 07-08-2003, 11:35 PM

Charlotte! Such gorgeous bags...you did a wonderful job.

And Andrea, I think yours looks great! And you did it without a pattern

I'm working on an Asian wallhanging and an applique wallhanging. I'm in the process of picking fabrics and making some batiks for a batik quilt I have in my head.

Here are some photos of the Asian quilt top. I haven't sandwiched it yet or started quilting. It's a really simple design because I want to try to do some intricate quilting on it...we'll see how it goes. The colors aren't true...what looks like blue are really shades of purple :

Asian quilt top
Asian close up

I can't wait to see more pictures I love seeing what everyone is doing...it's inspiring.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page